Brendan Cole: Licensed to Thrill Tour

Comments

• CamisCamis Posts: 13,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just back from the show in Norwich - absolutely fantastic! All of the dancers were fab, but Brendan and Fauve together were stunning. The waltz just took my breath away. There were a couple of hiccups - Brendan almost fell over whin his chair tipped in the AT, and Melanie somehow danced the entire AS anda quickstep with bother her shoes undone! I couldn't stop watching to see if they were going to fly off whenever she did a kick!

Brendan was lovely - in the Q & A he got a young lad up on the stage to dance with him. The whole show was amazing - so glad I got tickets to go.
  • strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame that the show is not showing in Leeds. I wanted to see the show.
  • SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    Just back from the show at the Barbican. I know this might not be a popular view but sorry I didn't think much of Fauve's dancing (her hair (particularly the little black bit) kept irritating me as well as her arms - she didn't really finish her lines at all good. Crystal was perhaps surprisingly the best dancer of the girls for me. It's probably a good thing that I couldn't really see Fauve's footwork or that might have irritated me too.

Brendan was good though! My only criticism for him was the choices of music were a bit random at times - like "Man from La Mancha" for an Argentine Tango(? A paso perhaps) - not that there was much of the type of AT that I know (more like an exaggerated game of Twister with some paso chasse capes thrown in) OR Forget You as a Paso (when it's a Cha Cha rhythm is just plain odd.

Have to say though that I did enjoy the "sort of" Viennese Waltz to The Impossible Dream - although it was at this point the Fauve's flailing arms started irritating me. :rolleyes:
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaraV1308 wrote: »
    Just back from the show at the Barbican. I know this might not be a popular view but sorry I didn't think much of Fauve's dancing (her hair (particularly the little black bit) kept irritating me as well as her arms - she didn't really finish her lines at all good. Crystal was perhaps surprisingly the best dancer of the girls for me. It's probably a good thing that I couldn't really see Fauve's footwork or that might have irritated me too.

Brendan was good though! My only criticism for him was the choices of music were a bit random at times - like "Man from La Mancha" for an Argentine Tango(? A paso perhaps) - not that there was much of the type of AT that I know (more like an exaggerated game of Twister with some paso chasse capes thrown in) OR Forget You as a Paso (when it's a Cha Cha rhythm is just plain odd.

Have to say though that I did enjoy the "sort of" Viennese Waltz to The Impossible Dream - although it was at this point the Fauve's flailing arms started irritating me. :rolleyes:

totally agree! me and Jill saw the show in Blackpool and both thought exactly the same thing - I did think she was a good dancer (Crystal IMO is alot better) BUT it was the little things, like her arms, that just werent good! I also thought Forget You was a really bizarre choice for a paso
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    totally agree! me and Jill saw the show in Blackpool and both thought exactly the same thing - I did think she was a good dancer (Crystal IMO is alot better) BUT it was the little things, like her arms, that just werent good! I also thought Forget You was a really bizarre choice for a paso

Im glad it wasnt just me and my mate who thought that then...

Forget You for a paso when it was on Strictly as a good CCC (last year) was not a good choice. I sort of wish Crystal had been the one dancing with Brendan as it would make for a decent pairing.

The arm flailing was quite getting on my t**s. I sort of wonder who Fauve can have won the French DWTS because her technique (as a pro) was not great... (or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?? The programme only talked about SYTYCD).

It started sooo late too - I was so tired by the end and then had a 45 min trip home (traipse through the Barbican and then tube). Have all the shows started at 8 - or have most been 7.30?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im glad it wasnt just me and my mate who thought that then...

Forget You for a paso when it was on Strictly as a good CCC (last year) was not a good choice. I sort of wish Crystal had been the one dancing with Brendan as it would make for a decent pairing.

The arm flailing was quite getting on my t**s. I sort of wonder who Fauve can have won the French DWTS because her technique (as a pro) was not great... (or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?? The programme only talked about SYTYCD).

It started sooo late too - I was so tired by the end and then had a 45 min trip home (traipse through the Barbican and then tube). Have all the shows started at 8 - or have most been 7.30?

nope, definately not just you who thought that!! I wished that Crystal had been partnered with Brendan too :D

I had never heard of Fauve before seeing her in LTT but I looked at her twitter followers (she has over 50,000) and had read that she had won the French DWTS (her Facebook I think thats on) so I was expecting her to be bloody amazing, but she wasnt! well she was good but not amazing and I was expecting amazing from the "leading lady"

Most shows have started at 7.30 I think - or even 7 - cant remember what time Blackpool started - it definately wasnt 8!!

What did you make of Melanie?
  • strictlydivastrictlydiva Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that forget you would have not worked for a paso either! Very odd choice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that forget you would have not worked for a paso either! Very odd choice.

it didnt work :o its too "bouncy" for want of a better word lol
    Forum Member
    nope, definately not just you who thought that!! I wished that Crystal had been partnered with Brendan too :D

I had never heard of Fauve before seeing her in LTT but I looked at her twitter followers (she has over 50,000) and had read that she had won the French DWTS (her Facebook I think thats on) so I was expecting her to be bloody amazing, but she wasnt! well she was good but not amazing and I was expecting amazing from the "leading lady"

Most shows have started at 7.30 I think - or even 7 - cant remember what time Blackpool started - it definately wasnt 8!!

What did you make of Melanie?

BIB: The less said about that the better...... :eek:

I was like you and was expecting amazing. On the plus side, the seats were comfy and I had plenty of leg room so was able to relax (and also catch up with ForceTen!)

Im not sure it was all that much of a good decision either to do a waltz to "With you Im Born Again" when its known to be an Ian/Natalie showdance.... but that didnt quite get on my t**s as much as the paso to CCC or the AT that was no way AT in my sense of the word.

If she has managed to win the French DWTS, all I can think is that she must have had an exceedingly popular celeb (someone like David Beckham in popularity) or else the rest were pretty crap. (or simply be a better teacher than dancer)... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    it didnt work :o its too "bouncy" for want of a better word lol

Bouncy was a good description.

I kept expecting them to say "sod this" and start doing New Yorks and spins a la Cha Cha Cha...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB: The less said about that the better...... :eek:

I was like you and was expecting amazing. On the plus side, the seats were comfy and I had plenty of leg room so was able to relax (and also catch up with ForceTen!)

Im not sure it was all that much of a good decision either to do a waltz to "With you Im Born Again" when its known to be an Ian/Natalie showdance.... but that didnt quite get on my t**s as much as the paso to CCC or the AT that was no way AT in my sense of the word.

If she has managed to win the French DWTS, all I can think is that she must have had an exceedingly popular celeb (someone like David Beckham in popularity) or else the rest were pretty crap. (or simply be a better teacher than dancer)... :rolleyes:

poor Melanie - she looked soooooo out of her depth dancing next to Crystal and Fauve, it was almost embarrasing to watch!

I didnt know that the waltz song was a Natalie and Ian showdance song :o I thought that dance was quite beautiful, I found Fauve to be a better ballroom dancer than a latin dancer

Hmm - makes you wonder doesnt it - she either had a super popular celeb or the standard of pros just isnt as high - I cant help wondering why Brenda chose her a his leading lady :confused: he must see something that we dont :o:D

With the paso - I was half expecting the singers to change the song tempo or something, to make it fit the paso but they didnt, they just sang it - all bouncy and cha cha like - it was most odd
    Forum Member
    poor Melanie - she looked soooooo out of her depth dancing next to Crystal and Fauve, it was almost embarrasing to watch!

I didnt know that the waltz song was a Natalie and Ian showdance song :o I thought that dance was quite beautiful, I found Fauve to be a better ballroom dancer than a latin dancer

Hmm - makes you wonder doesnt it - she either had a super popular celeb or the standard of pros just isnt as high - I cant help wondering why Brenda chose her a his leading lady :confused: he must see something that we dont :o:D

With the paso - I was half expecting the singers to change the song tempo or something, to make it fit the paso but they didnt, they just sang it - all bouncy and cha cha like - it was most odd

I think there were times that Melanie wasnt completely out of her depth but it makes you wonder how she coped with being the leading lady last year on Brendan's tour. I was the same with the paso... as soon as I realised it was Flav/Louis CCC I was expecting a change of tempo or style to fit the paso theme - it was just plain ............... odd. It might have been forgiveable if that had been a "Bond" theme of some sort (seeing that the show was supposedly Bond themed) and they had to shoe horn a contrary style because of that... but as far as I know very few tunes in the whole thing had any "Bond" connotations.

I was trying to work out where Fauve's speciality was too... It definitely wasnt ballroom .... but it wasnt really Latin either.... I know I was probably being super pernickerty but I dont think any of the Strictly girl pros have any threat to their tenure from her..... and in some of the shorter dresses her thighs weren't exactly flattering.

I thought the "With you Im born again" was Ian and Natalie's solo from the pro tour - although Ive definitely seen them dance it at cabaret shows too.

As a plus, I thought the cape off bit was pretty good.:D (and also was done to a Bond Theme... so ticked the boxes there!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there were times that Melanie wasnt completely out of her depth but it makes you wonder how she coped with being the leading lady last year on Brendan's tour. I was the same with the paso... as soon as I realised it was Flav/Louis CCC I was expecting a change of tempo or style to fit the paso theme - it was just plain ............... odd. It might have been forgiveable if that had been a "Bond" theme of some sort (seeing that the show was supposedly Bond themed) and they had to shoe horn a contrary style because of that... but as far as I know very few tunes in the whole thing had any "Bond" connotations.

I was trying to work out where Fauve's speciality was too... It definitely wasnt ballroom .... but it wasnt really Latin either.... I know I was probably being super pernickerty but I dont think any of the Strictly girl pros have any threat to their tenure from her..... and in some of the shorter dresses her thighs weren't exactly flattering.

I thought the "With you Im born again" was Ian and Natalie's solo from the pro tour - although Ive definitely seen them dance it at cabaret shows too.

As a plus, I thought the cape off bit was pretty good.:D (and also was done to a Bond Theme... so ticked the boxes there!)

was she? :eek: I didnt go to see his tour last year but that really surprises me!!

I dont know what Fauve's speciality is either, it didnt say in the programme :confused: I just felt (for me) she executed her ballroom better than her latin - if that makes sense!

Natalie wasnt performing on the Pro Tour when I went to watch, she was injured and couldnt dance, thats probably why I didnt make the connection to the song and Ive not seen them in cabaret either

The cape off was fabulous wasnt it :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the show tho and would recommend it if anyone is thinking of buying tickets
    Forum Member
    was she? :eek: I didnt go to see his tour last year but that really surprises me!!
    I dont know what Fauve's speciality is either, it didnt say in the programme :confused: I just felt (for me) she executed her ballroom better than her latin - if that makes sense!

Natalie wasnt performing on the Pro Tour when I went to watch, she was injured and couldnt dance, thats probably why I didnt make the connection to the song and Ive not seen them in cabaret either

The cape off was fabulous wasnt it :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the show tho and would recommend it if anyone is thinking of buying tickets

I heard she was in the show... replacing Nicole. I just presumed she was literally the leading lady... She could have been put in as someone else's partner and one of the others was promoted to be Nicole - I didnt manage to go either.

As Olive says above, I thought overall it was a good show and would recommend it to anyone thinking of buying tickets... (the hole picking was just me being super pernickerty ;))....

It was a shame you missed Nat on the pro tour because when she was there, her Waltz (showdance) solo with Ian was absolutely flippin gorgeous. :D I wasnt a particularly great fan of Natalie before the pro tour but after that I became much more of a fan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen the tour, but finding it interesting to read about your opinion on Mel when she actually was more competitively highly ranked than both Crystal and Fauve, and has also done BTF and various other bits around the world. I haven't seen her dance for a good few years now, so perhaps it's just as time goes on, she's lost some of the original spark she had.

I guess anyone after Nicole is going to look pretty sub standard anyway!

I always thought of Fauve more as a ballroom dancer, but also with a mix of contemporary in. She's quite distinctive. I'm presuming she got the leading lady status perhaps on...the vanity factor/sex appeal if I can say that! I probably don't think the French DWTS has some of the dancers that we do pro wise, I tried to watch some of it but found it pretty cringey.

Sorry for butting in, just was interested by the comments! :)
    Forum Member
    laurab88 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the tour, but finding it interesting to read about your opinion on Mel when she actually was more competitively highly ranked than both Crystal and Fauve, and has also done BTF and various other bits around the world. I haven't seen her dance for a good few years now, so perhaps it's just as time goes on, she's lost some of the original spark she had.

I always thought of Fauve more as a ballroom dancer, but also with a mix of contemporary in. She's quite distinctive. I'm presuming she got the leading lady status perhaps on...the vanity factor/sex appeal if I can say that! I probably don't think the French DWTS has some of the dancers that we do pro wise, I tried to watch some of it but found it pretty cringey.

Butt in away.... Its nice to have another person's standpoint.

I would personally put Fauve in the mainly contemporary dancer section with a bit of ballroom and latin (rather than the other way round).

Im surprised to hear Melanie was higher ranked... but then again I do go to the International Championships and often find myself liking the dancers who don't win more than the winners themselves - so maybe its a personal taste thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laurab88 wrote: »

you are not butting in at all :D I knew Melanie had been in BTF but I have to say I am surprised to learn she was higher ranked than Crystal and Fauve - she certainly didnt perform to a higher standard when I saw her! just my opinion of course :D

I like reading other peoples viewpoints - thanks for your insight
  • soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member

I would personally put Fauve in the mainly contemporary dancer section with a bit of ballroom and latin (rather than the other way round).

Im surprised to hear Melanie was higher ranked... but then again I do go to the International Championships and often find myself liking the dancers who don't win more than the winners themselves - so maybe its a personal taste thing.

Dancers from different continents all meet in Blackpool Festival.

Brendan partnering Camilla finished 11th in Blackpool Latin 2003 (like Kristina did in 2007), then stopped competing.

Melanie Hooper partnering Julian Manderson advanced steadily until she made Blackpool latin semifinal in 2008 like Brendan and Kristina, after which she stopped competing.

Crystal Main partnering Bruce Lait did not advance very far in Blackpool 2003-5 both latin and ballroom, after which she stopped competing.

Fauve Hautot partnering Maxime Dereymez missed out Blackpool, entering only 5 amateur latin and ten-dance competitions in England and France in 2009, after which she stopped competing.

http://www.dancesportinfo.net/Couple/Brendan_Cole_and_Camilla_Dallerup_2679/Results
    http://www.dancesportinfo.net/Couple/Bruce_Lait_and_Crystal_Main_4174/Results
    http://www.dancesportinfo.net/Couple/Julian_Manderson_and_Melanie_Hooper_4904/Results
    http://www.dancesportinfo.net/Couple/Maxime_Dereymez_and_Fauve_Hautot_108168/Results
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I and in some of the shorter dresses her thighs weren't exactly flattering.

I thought the same thing - her tattoos were rather off putting as well!

I enjoyed the dancing for what it was,but wasn't particularly looking at it from any critical view. Interesting that all the discussion has been about the female dancers - I did think that Scott looked rather out of his depth at times and seemed to be struggling with some of the lifts in particular.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fauve with her celeb partner Emmanuel Moire won the last series of 'Danse avec les stars'. Her choreography is definitely more on the contemporary side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE67aYBvFU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLaw1csIJHM
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you are not butting in at all :D I knew Melanie had been in BTF but I have to say I am surprised to learn she was higher ranked than Crystal and Fauve - she certainly didnt perform to a higher standard when I saw her! just my opinion of course :D

I like reading other peoples viewpoints - thanks for your insight

Think you area being rather harsh on Fauve. I can't claim to be in a position to comment too much on the technical side, but what she had in spades was charisma. Dancing with Brendan you need to be a strong character and I think she was just perfect for the role. Of course' it helped that she was gorgeous :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulpenny wrote: »
    Think you area being rather harsh on Fauve. I can't claim to be in a position to comment too much on the technical side, but what she had in spades was charisma. Dancing with Brendan you need to be a strong character and I think she was just perfect for the role. Of course' it helped that she was gorgeous :-)

harsh? :confused: its just my opinion - and the post of mine that you have quoted was referring to Melanie - not Fauve
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    At last...

The time is getting very near....

Going to see Brendan on Sunday..... WHOOP!!!

:D:D:D
  • ceeveepeeceeveepee Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I keep looking at Liverpool but I really shouldn't - have been lucky enough to see it twice. You are going to love it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    ceeveepee wrote: »
    I keep looking at Liverpool but I really shouldn't - have been lucky enough to see it twice. You are going to love it!

It will make being shattered on Monday morning worth it! :yawn: :sleep: :)