37 Days : BBC2 : 9.00pm Thursday 6th March

Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Surprised there's no thread on this (well, I couldn't find one) although someone did start one yesterday asking about the music in the trailer, but no one responded.

Anyway, "here's a heads up." Three episodes on consecutive days, "just as we like them."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-02-04/queen-victorias-grandson-was-too-racist-for-bbc2-first-world-war-drama

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    37 Days, BBC2 9pm, 6-7-8 Mar
    Latest in the Beeb's mammoth chronicling of WW1 on its centenary. Dramatisation of the lead-up to the outbreak of war.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01pf7pt
    Radio Times http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ctcfd7/37-days--series-1---1-one-month-in-summer
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So looking forward to this. Hope it doesn't disappoint!
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    So looking forward to this. Hope it doesn't disappoint!

Yip - me too. Recording the 3 nights - will watch later...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A stellar cast ......
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great start
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Wonderful so far, absolutely love it.

The backdrop of Ireland (Home Rule etc) conversations/decisions being interrupted by the crisis in Europe and put on the backburner leqding to 1916 then 1919 then 1921/22 then the awfulness of partition.

My country could have been so different only for WW1!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderful so far, absolutely love it.

The backdrop of Ireland (Home Rule etc) conversations/decisions being interrupted by the crisis in Europe and put on the backburner leqding to 1916 then 1919 then 1921/22 then the awfulness of partition.

My country could have been so different only for WW1!

The whole of Europe would have been so different without WW1!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The whole of Europe would have been so different without WW1!

Indeed!

Just the anticiapted Home Rule bill was put off which lead to this, to that and the horrors of a sectarian statelet and an RC authoritarian state then the Troubles war then the fragile peace and astill fragmented island 100 years on.

Anyway, this dramatisation is wonderful - love it. The BBC at it's best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beeb at its best - slow, deliberate, detailed. immaculately researched. Wonderful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but acorns have a habit of growing .....
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voiceover was annoying.
  • ImperialImperial Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Thought this could be a bit ponderous and boring...how wrong was I, totally riveting! BBC at it's best again.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could not accuse them of not being thorough, though it was a bit ponderous at times. But it was a good programme.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it! I was also an extra in it :D
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Churchill really sound like Churchill when he was that young? He sounds like 1939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now looking forward to tonight! Only slight quibbles as to inappropriate music and voice overs - though there are so many complicated strands to the politics at that time so they need some background explaining. Overall a superb drama so well done, BBC (for a change!)
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now looking forward to tonight! Only slight quibbles as to inappropriate music and voice overs - though there are so many complicated strands to the politics at that time so they need some background explaining. Overall a superb drama so well done, BBC (for a change!)
    For me that spoilt an otherwise excellent programme.
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Did Churchill really sound like Churchill when he was that young? He sounds like 1939

His voice did sound a bit deep, but at least he looked like young Churchill. He wasn't just a younger characture of his older self. Liked the first episode, pretty good, although the young German clerk being a 'liberal' seemed a bit unnecessary to me.
  • AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Why did they choose to essentially show anything but pictures of Berlin when the scene took place in Germany's capital? The first images that explicity said "Berlin" on them were actually of Dresden and later on they showed some palace from Schwerin. I know the place had been bombed to bits during WW2 but there are still some areas left that look like they did in 1914.
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Struck by the echoes from Sir Edward Grey's string of asinine bon mots in William Hague's idiotic prattle, I began to wonder if the current events in the Ukraine were triggered by the need to coincide with the "37 days" - i'll come back after Easter and report further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned this on the WW1 thread, but for me, it always epitomised the mind set of of some of the establishment at the commencement of the war.
    When it was suggested that we should bomb Krups munitions factory, a member of the cabinet said; "You can't! It's private property!"
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are these programmes dredged up ?
    The war has been over for decades.
    Just forget it & move on
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Which seems like a timely opportunity to post this

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are these programmes dredged up ?
    The war has been over for decades.
    Just forget it & move on

Excluding this excellent drama, the more cynical may be of the opinion, that the sheer number of WW1 programmes using archive film footage, we will be getting for quite some time, could be suggested, a BBC "initiative" as compared to drama they are relatively cheap to make.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Top draw drama and I'am loving it.....well if you can love a drama chronicaling(sp) the run up to a War which cost millions their lives.