Options

Advice on finding wasps in Flat?

Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, i wondered if anyone could give me any advice?

About a week ago i got up in the morning to go to the bathroom to find two wasps, one alive the other dead. I thought nothing of it as i had left the bathroom window open all night.

From then on, there has been more and more appearing everyday, even with the window closed. Today there were 5, wrigling around dying. They were even in my toothbrush mug.:(

Me and the OH have checked for buzzing noises and where they could be coming from, but we can't see or hear anything obvious at all.

I've got a phobia of wasps and it's giving me a lot of anxiety. So i was wondering if anyone have any information at all of whether we could have a nest or why they are coming in to die?

Any help would be much appreciated.:( Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are poltergeists in your flat, mate.

You need to get a priest in to exorcise the place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is a nest then I think you have to phone the council. I believe they will send a pest control - but I am not sure on this. Have a look at your councils website for pest control they may have some information for you.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

About a week ago i got up in the morning to go to the bathroom to find two wasps, one alive the other dead. I thought nothing of it as i had left the bathroom window open all night.

From then on, there has been more and more appearing everyday, even with the window closed. Today there were 5, wrigling around dying. They were even in my toothbrush mug.:(

Me and the OH have checked for buzzing noises and where they could be coming from, but we can't see or hear anything obvious at all.

I've got a phobia of wasps and it's giving me a lot of anxiety. So i was wondering if anyone have any information at all of whether we could have a nest or why they are coming in to die?

Hello Psycho,

1) Do you have a loft you can access?

2) Your bathroom window/s, are they double glazed, UPVC frame, or timber, if timber are they the ordinary sliding sash type?

3) Do you have an extractor fan in the bathroom on a timer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Vanilla,

seacam:-

1) I don't have a loft access as we're on the ground floor and there is a flat above us.

2) Windows are UPVC double glaze.

3) no extractor fan.

Hmmm....:confused:
  • Options
    Guru TartGuru Tart Posts: 5,008
    Forum Member
    There might be a nest between the floorboards.

Either way, you need pest control to do a check.

Are they actually wasps? I mean yellow and black bodied?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they're definitely wasps guru. I'll have to give pest control a ring tomorrow then. It's so creepy..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, they're definitely wasps guru. I'll have to give pest control a ring tomorrow then. It's so creepy..

No other choice. No other way of killing them either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For now, just make sure you keep lights on to a minimum. I was used to leaving the kitchen window open overnight in my old flat, one night I left the window open and the light on and found about one hundred wasps in the kitchen when I woke up. Very scary indeed.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magenta01 wrote: »
    For now, just make sure you keep lights on to a minimum. I was used to leaving the kitchen window open overnight in my old flat, one night I left the window open and the light on and found about one hundred wasps in the kitchen when I woke up. Very scary indeed.

I'd probably cry if there was one wasp in the house, let along 100:eek:

Jason
  • Options
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    My goodness sounds very scary!
  • Options
    shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really feel for you now, im terrified of wasps. Council should get rid if them for you but i think they charge. I think it costs £16 with my council.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is weird - I have exactly the same problem - I recently had some work done on my bath and had left the side panel off for a week or so to make sure there were no leaks - I think they are coming in somewhere under the bath. I spray wasp killer round the bathroom every morning and evening just to make sure they are well nuked - I hate wasps - they terrify me. I think I will ring the council, as several people have suggested - it will be worth £16 or so to get rid of them.

ps I always burn a citronella candle in the doorway or window if open and they don't like that so they stay away. Can't really have one burning non-stop under the bath though :)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How big were the wasps? New queens come in to find new homes. It is not usually this time of year though as it is not the end of summer yet.

My friends had a wasp nest and I got stung on the leg. They called in a wasp evictor who poisoned them to death.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had the same problem a few years back and the council pest control came out cause believe it or not they told us its illegal to remove the nest yourself and could be prosecuted (something 2 do with they are a dying breed - some of us wish they were a DEAD breed) - so take all above advice and get the council in !

P.S. They came out about 2 days later and didnt charge us anything :)
  • Options
    shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tuppy26 wrote: »
    Had the same problem a few years back and the council pest control came out cause believe it or not they told us its illegal to remove the nest yourself and could be prosecuted (something 2 do with they are a dying breed - some of us wish they were a DEAD breed) - so take all above advice and get the council in !

P.S. They came out about 2 days later and didnt charge us anything :)

I do hope they die out, wasps are evil :eek:
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Vanilla,

seacam:-

1) I don't have a loft access as we're on the ground floor and there is a flat above us.

2) Windows are UPVC double glaze.

3) no extractor fan.

Hmmm....:confused:

Hello Psycho,

Hmmm,

Well I'm out of suggestions then, everything I thought might be happening, can't be.

There may still be a hive in the roof space or under the floor boards but I don't think the latter is your problem.

I was once told that when wasps concregate like that, they are looking for water.

Sorry I can't help further.
  • Options
    horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a wasps nest, they can get through the smallest crack (something you wouldn't even be able to see)

Get the council out before they start dying and get all nangy...and stingy! I stood on one - twas not nice!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had a problem like this in a house I bought. I killed the lot with some waspkiller, but they kept returning.

I finally found the nest between the floorboard and pest control came in and did a massive smoking and removed the nest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate Wasps. I don't wish death on any creature except Wasps. They are absolutely vile things.
  • Options
    housewifehousewife Posts: 2,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave some honey out at night and A) leave a video camera recording to a) see where they are coming from and )b) when they are coming out or B) Get out of bed at a set time and go and investigate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gumshoe wrote: »
    Hate Wasps. I don't wish death on any creature except Wasps. They are absolutely vile things.

Oh They're alright unless you spray them with waspkiller, then they're like small warriors and attack you en masse.

Running away helps loads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is weird - I have exactly the same problem

Just an update - I rang the council yesterday and they arranged for pest control to come today - he inspected under the bath and couldn't find anything but he went out and up a ladder and looked at the roof.

I live in a second (top) floor flat and the soil pipe comes out onto a tiny chimney over my roof - he could see all the wasps hovering around the pipe - he has blitzed it with some sort of horrible stuff and says it should all be clear within 24 hours. Cost me £35 which is well worth it to get rid of the pesky spawn-of-the-devil :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya all,

Thankyou so much for all your replies!:)

Well, we phoned the council today and they are coming out tomorrow. Earlier on i decided to stand outside our flat for a few minutes to see if i could see or hear anything. I Looked all around the window seal..nothing.

Suddenley i could hear faint buzzing but couldn't tell where it was coming from, i was confused lol. So i decided to look up towards the roof of the flat above me and what did i see?.... Yep, you guessed it loads and loads of wasps flying in and out in the same line near the trophin!:eek:

So now i atleast know to tell the council that. But i still don't get how they're coming in my bathroom dying, there were 4 again today.:(

Babe Rainbow- So glad you got yours sorted out, i can't wait for tomorrow! I hope the wasps won't get all angry and start swarming the bathroom!:eek:

God i hate them so much. I'm too frightened to even shower right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya all,

Thankyou so much for all your replies!:)

Well, we phoned the council today and they are coming out tomorrow. Earlier on i decided to stand outside our flat for a few minutes to see if i could see or hear anything. I Looked all around the window seal..nothing.

Suddenley i could hear faint buzzing but couldn't tell where it was coming from, i was confused lol. So i decided to look up towards the roof of the flat above me and what did i see?.... Yep, you guessed it loads and loads of wasps flying in and out in the same line near the trophin!:eek:

So now i atleast know to tell the council that. But i still don't get how they're coming in my bathroom dying, there were 4 again today.:(

Babe Rainbow- So glad you got yours sorted out, i can't wait for tomorrow! I hope the wasps won't get all angry and start swarming the bathroom!:eek:

God i hate them so much. I'm too frightened to even shower right now.

The guy did say that it might take 24 hours for them all to die and that in the meantime there might be some more. I have sprayed wasp killer round the room and under the bath so that if any do appear, they won't survive long.