Options

the driver

Comments

• Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the BBC want to do drama properly they need to make at least 10-15 episodes per series. It's the only way you can do proper character and plot development. The Driver has exactly the same problem as Morrisey's last BBC production (7.39) in that you're dropped into this character who seemingly hates every aspect of his life yet has waited until that exact moment to do anything about it. A few scenes of annoying taxi passengers, distant wife and condescending kid don't explain why a person suddenly decides to risk everything he has.

I love Colm Meaney from Star Trek but his acting has always been - how do I put this politely - limited and he's hamming he way through his character. The lead's friend is a 2 dimensional idiot ("explain to me why I shouldn't kill by brother") and his wife seems to swing from love to indifference from scene to scene.

There are good aspects and i'll watch the last episode but it's just another example that the BBC have yet to learn the lessons of quality drama from the US and Scandinavia.

This could never sustain a full length series, you'd be looking at a much broader canvas for that. Its about one bloke making a bad decision and that's it. It not perfect your observations about character and tone are right. Speaking of Col - I'm always struck by how loquacious and erudite underclass oiks are in TV drama, in real life most can hardly string a functional sentence together.
  • Options
    miavivmiaviv Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    It was alright. Nothing that special but watchable. anyway. Found some of the dialogue very difficult to follow as it was muffled or mumbled by the actors, an increasing problem with actors these days.

Subtitles on permanently in my house !
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this, felt the second episode really cranked up the tension and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I'm puzzled as to how the son ties into things. The stuff with the cult (if that's what it is) seems a tad too detailed for it to just be a side story to add a bit of depth to the family narrative. I'm guessing/hoping it will tie in with the central storyline in the final episode, no idea how though.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    miaviv wrote: »
    Subtitles on permanently in my house !

I understood every word.. The actors were perfectly fine
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had anyone mentioned the similarities of this to Breaking Bad.. 2 phones, inquisitive wife, crime lords etc
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    I understood every word.. The actors were perfectly fine

Yeah, the speech is perfectly clear.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Just watched this and totally enjoyed it.

David Morrissey and Claudie Blakley are very watchable actors for me. Looking forward to the next episode.

This could be written by Jimmy McGovern imo.

McGovern is an overrated hack, his work of late tends to be the same old tired tosh recycled, McGovern is likely sitting at home wishing he could write stuff as good as The Driver.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC want to do drama properly they need to make at least 10-15 episodes per series. It's the only way you can do proper character and plot development. The Driver has exactly the same problem as Morrisey's last BBC production (7.39) in that you're dropped into this character who seemingly hates every aspect of his life yet has waited until that exact moment to do anything about it. A few scenes of annoying taxi passengers, distant wife and condescending kid don't explain why a person suddenly decides to risk everything he has.

I love Colm Meaney from Star Trek but his acting has always been - how do I put this politely - limited and he's hamming he way through his character. The lead's friend is a 2 dimensional idiot ("explain to me why I shouldn't kill by brother") and his wife seems to swing from love to indifference from scene to scene.

There are good aspects and i'll watch the last episode but it's just another example that the BBC have yet to learn the lessons of quality drama from the US and Scandinavia.

I just do not get the love in for scandanavian drama, what eventually filters over here is usually a jewel in an ocean of turds, saw plenty scandy, American,Aussie drama and it's fair to say most of it is dire.
  • Options
    david kleinfelddavid kleinfeld Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    Craig and Sarah's baby being named Fernando made me think of Alan Partridge, not very good for suspension of disbelief since Colm Meaney was in the Alan Partridge movie. Of course the script would have been written before they cast him.

In episode 1, Vince was stopped by the police when he was on a job for The Horse, and he drove away and managed to lose them, but surely they would have noted down the car registration number? And he told the Horse that everything went o.k., so there would be no reason for him to have changed the number plate, so won't the police still be on the lookout for that car? How come he hasn't been stopped when driving it since then? Even if they didn't manage to note down the registration number, they would know the make, model, and colour and there aren't that many of them around, are there?

I completely agree and thought it would have been a priority to mention it at the first opportunity, considering there is ANPR everywhere :confused:
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I completely agree and thought it would have been a priority to mention it at the first opportunity, considering there is ANPR everywhere :confused:

The number plates were changed after every job.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    This could never sustain a full length series, you'd be looking at a much broader canvas for that. Its about one bloke making a bad decision and that's it. It not perfect your observations about character and tone are right. Speaking of Col - I'm always struck by how loquacious and erudite underclass oiks are in TV drama, in real life most can hardly string a functional sentence together.

Eastenders can get downright existential at times..drives me Barmy !!
  • Options
    david kleinfelddavid kleinfeld Posts: 38
    Forum Member

They did make a point of saying that but i have just watched episode 2 and recapped episode 1 and the registrations are definitely the same - mw59 jzx in both episodes airport runs. May have some relevance in the final episode though?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait until tomorrow night to see how The main character gets out of this mess!!
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that The Horse said that they changed the number plates 'often', which is why I was also one of those wondering why the hell Vince didn't tell them they needed to do a number plate change after his police chase.
    Plus there's the fact that he parks the car up in an obscure car park, rather than at The Horse's property. So maybe showing the number plate changes was thought unnecessary by the producers. But obviously it wasn't! :)
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or when Horse's girlfriend was stood in the three sofa lounge with the driver, she was moving like an exact replica for any of the female charactersin GTA5.

I need to get out more.😬
  • Options
    Simon_AmblerSimon_Ambler Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    looking forward to this tonight, I might have to re-watch last weeks episode because for some reason I cant remember it. lol.

its been a long time since such a good series was on bbc, hustle was another one which im gutted has finished.
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    It was alright. Nothing that special but watchable. anyway. Found some of the dialogue very difficult to follow as it was muffled or mumbled by the actors, an increasing problem with actors these days.
    I watch every single thing with the subtiltles on now as I'm pretty anal and don't like to miss a single word.:blush: It's hard work though...
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Can't wait until tomorrow night to see how The main character gets out of this mess!!

Or, more likely, finds himself getting in deeper and deeper. Morriseys an excellent actor, takes you on the tense journey with him.
  • Options
    AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching? Sense a double cross!
  • Options
    Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ending soon and I still don't know how it'll end
  • Options
    AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Oh god. Please don't get yourself killed!
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused:
  • Options
    Hot ButterflyHot Butterfly Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it ended at 10 !!

Lol had it on live pause
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, that was intense! Fantastic acting from David Morrissey.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! Won't say anymore in case people haven't seen last episode but this household thought it was a great final episode.

David Morrissey should get awards for his acting and producing.:)