Options

Anyone else both rue & lament the fact, that we will never again see a new soap?

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was talking about this to a fellow soap lover and we relised that no tv network in the day and age would ever dream of commissioning a new soap.:( This left us feeling sad, as we can both remember the glory years of the 80s, when tv was filled with loads of them.

But alas, this will never be the case again.

Comments

• Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »
    I was talking about this to a fellow soap lover and we relised that no tv network in the day and age would ever dream of commissioning a new soap.:( This left us feeling sad, as we can both remember the glory years of the 80s, when tv was filled with loads of them.

But alas, this will never be the case again.

I disagree. With new channels since the 80s there is more chance not less of a new soap. I think channel 5 could launch a new one. I'd like a Birmingham soap. We've had Manchester, London and Liverpool so why not Birmingham? I would love the accents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll canoe to Canada in winter if a single new British soap opera is commisioned at any point in the rest of this decade.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 will need a new one when Kirkwood destroys Hollyoaks completely.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »

I doubt that, they would simply replace it with cheap reality shite.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    There's a new Irish soap starting soon:
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/news/a615902/new-irish-soap-red-rock-to-begin-advertising-campaign.html#~oYjDDqv6BHg1Kt

So I wouldn't write off the idea. Nothing lasts forever, old things die, new things come along.

Now Hollyoaks has gone down the tubes, there's an open goal for anyone who wants to start a decent ongoing youth drama.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I disagree. With new channels since the 80s there is more chance not less of a new soap. I think channel 5 could launch a new one. I'd like a Birmingham soap. We've had Manchester, London and Liverpool so why not Birmingham? I would love the accents.
    Birmingham had Crossroads. I think the most notable city to not have one is Newcastle.

I'd love a new soap but like the OP I just can't see it happening. If there were one, it would undoubtedly be a daytime drama such as Doctors rather than a prime time fixture. The days of new traditional soap operas are long gone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 335
    Forum Member

'Doctors' is set in Birmingham as was 'Crossroads'. I think a Welsh English language soap opera could be good, possibly set in Cardiff, as I like the accent.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. The new Irish soap is a Ieland. There probably won't be one on England. Reality TV has boomed and soaps are no more. People who believe new soaps will still come about have got their head in sand. A few years ago, soaps used to have a good 9-10 soaps on air. Now it's been dropped down to 4-5. People say 'If soaps got cancelled they will be replaced by new ones' - well no. Taking a risk with a soap is too much. Where as taking a risk with a reality show is already onto a winner.
  • Options
    SoapAddict99SoapAddict99 Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love a new soap, especially one more than once a week. Mainly because it would be the first time watching a soap from the beggining.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely disagree. We're started to move away from traditional broadcasting into having everything online, and we're fast approaching a time when anyone can make something and be successful (some would argue we're there already).
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I'd love a new soap....

I don't know why, but a new soap on either C4 or C5 wouldnt be as successful as one being on either BBC or ITV.

The problem is that it inevitably will be another EE or Corrie, as that is what works. I know years ago they started a new soap based around middle class characters and that didn't work.

I think what could work, is to have another soap that is broadcast later after the watershed, either on BBC or ITV and could show stuff that EE and Corrie only can only go so far with.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Isn't #channel 4 rumoured to be starting one?

The Only Way Is Essex is a modern soap of sorts.

Never say Never.
  • Options
    Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    No we have plenty
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    TV is changing and I think new soaps are the TOWIE kind. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw an online soap launch in the next 10 years.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Birmingham had Crossroads. I think the most notable city to not have one is Newcastle.

I'd love a new soap but like the OP I just can't see it happening. If there were one, it would undoubtedly be a daytime drama such as Doctors rather than a prime time fixture. The days of new traditional soap operas are long gone.
    nhdut wrote: »
    'Doctors' is set in Birmingham as was 'Crossroads'. I think a Welsh English language soap opera could be good, possibly set in Cardiff, as I like the accent.

I did wonder about Crossroads but I was only young when it was on and can't remember where it was set. Yes Newcastle could be good I love Geordie accents. I can't speak Welsh :)
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It'll be interesting to see how Red Rock pans out. They're trying to cover all bases by marketing it as a soap as well as a police procedural so I've a feeling it may end up like something along the lines of The Bill or Casualty where you have a crime or illness of the week with soapy storylines going on in the background.

There was Quayside in the late 90's but it was only shown regionally so nobody ever remembers it.
    Isn't #channel 4 rumoured to be starting one?

The Only Way Is Essex is a modern soap of sorts.

Never say Never.

Unfortunately they don't appear to be. When asked about the possible resurrection of Brookside, they made a comment about an exciting new drama coming up. Everyone got excited and thought that it may be a new soap but then they announced their new school drama with the working title of The ABC. It basically appears to be Waterloo Road with a more ethnically diverse cast.

You're right about TOWIE and it's kind being modern soaps. The likes of the Real Housewives series has definitely taken the place of the US glamour soaps that were so big in the 80's and on the daytime schedules for years. We still get primetime soaps like Nashville and Revenge every so often but the daytime soaps have been decimated from 12 being on air during the era of Sunset Beach to just 4 left now and I do think that cheaper reality soaps like Real Housewives have played a part in this. Personally I'd rather watch a scripted drama. I don't mind TOWIE but The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Made in Chelsea are really really awful.
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dear God no:o
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see a new soap. BBC and ITV would never do a new one because of loyalty to their current soaps. The best chance of one is Channel 4 or 5 or one of the digital channels.

Still I think reality shows have taken the place of soaps :(

However there's scope for new soaps. Currently we only have working class soaps; would be interesting to see a suburban soap. Also the obvious one is that all the big soaps air before the watershed so you could have a later soap where people didn't say 'flaming' all the time.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    I think the OP is about 70% right.

I dont believe there will ever be another major soap on the scale size and popularity of EastEnders, Coronation Street or Emmerdale-I dont believe any uk broadcaster would stump up the huge amount of upfront cash needed for such a commitment and more to the point such a gamble.

I think there is a still a possibility of niche soaps that are smaller scale and cheaper to make but what increasingly broadcasters seem to be doing is commisioning scripted reality shows like TOWIE,Made in Chelsea,The Valleys,Ex on the beach,Geordie Shore which are soap like (in a very cheap diluted partial way!) and contain SOME elements of soaps, "characters" to root for and invest in,onscreen romance,tension,feuds,drama with an element of it being a continuing story.They are much cheaper to make than soaps and therefore they easily cover their production costs and are much less of a risk/gamble if they flop.

So we will have things partially akin to a soap or soaplite but major new soapa-no not in my opinion.

The genre has had a tremendously good long run for its money but in many ways their losing their potency and pulling power in a multi channel era so a big major soap would be seen as too big a risk.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soaps are already playing out to a diminishing number of viewers the last thing any network wants to be doing is introducing another which would only speed up viewer fatigue. And where would you schedule it? ITV have filled up most primetime slots with their two soaps, a new soap clashing with an established one wouldn't stand a chance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    channel 4 do not need a soap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear God no:o

i have fond memories of the wonderful amy turtle. crossroads in the 70's, now there was a soap.

we still have doctors representing the west midlands, doing very nicely and is the uk's 4th most watched continuing drama after emmerdale.

i also love regional accents.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nhdut wrote: »
    I did wonder about Crossroads but I was only young when it was on and can't remember where it was set. Yes Newcastle could be good I love Geordie accents. I can't speak Welsh :)

The poster clearly said an English language soap opera set in Wales. :confused:
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think trying to launch an entire soap from the off is very risky. A better approach would be to have a series of 4-6 episodes. Write the show as an ongoing series but put it out in small batches. 6 episodes in winter, 6 in spring, 6 in summer. That way you can pull the show if it's clearly not interesting people without it looking like a big failure. If it does attract good viewers you can plan on increasing the length of the series and then potentially let it go out as a weekly soap opera.

As for their being no space in the schedule. Channel 5 could introduce a new soap going out 4 times a week in the following spaces.
    Saturday - Not worth it
    Sunday - 7pm - 9pm
    Monday - No slots
    Tuesday - 8pm or 8:30pm
    Wednesday - 8pm or 8:30pm
    Thursday - 8:30pm
    Friday - No slots
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    i have fond memories of the wonderful amy turtle. crossroads in the 70's, now there was a soap.

we still have doctors representing the west midlands, doing very nicely and is the uk's 4th most watched continuing drama after emmerdale.

i also love regional accents.

I love the accent on River City:blush: