Bookie stops taking bets on Queen announcing abdication soon

Comments

• Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    The Queen works very hard.

Whether she does or not has no bearing on my statement.

Indeed I was talking about the nature of hereditary monarchy; not the Queen or her work ethic.

I do think that most of the 'work' done by any head of state is unnecessary, wasteful and is invented to give the head of state the justification to exist.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The queen works hard? Nosing around somewhere looking uninterested and waving at the fawning plebs who come out to see her IS NOT WORK.
  • sabreuk1975sabreuk1975 Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    Given that the Christmas message is pre-recorded several days in advance and seen by quite a number of people in the broadcasting world before it is transmitted, this doesn't seem a very likely way for any such announcement to be made.

You are correct, the speech is recorded, however, this year there have been no media previews!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Whether she does or not has no bearing on my statement.

Indeed I was talking about the nature of hereditary monarchy; not the Queen or her work ethic.

I do think that most of the 'work' done by any head of state is unnecessary, wasteful and is invented to give the head of state the justification to exist.

Are you suggesting that we should not have a head of state ?

The fact is that we do have a head of state and she carries out the duties of a head of state.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The queen works hard? Nosing around somewhere looking uninterested and waving at the fawning plebs who come out to see her IS NOT WORK.

Having status and money does not make what she does any easier at the age of 88 and I would call what she does work.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    The Queen is only a figurehead and is already farming out most jobs to the others, so it doesn't really matter if she is bedridden on life support. She will be Queen until she doth snuff it.

She is farming out the jobs so that when the hand-over happens, there won't be much change. She is keeping the family firm going whether people want it or not.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member

The fact is that we do have a head of state and she carries out the duties of a head of state.

What exactly does "Head of State" mean to you? Obviously a lot as you use it so many times in the above post.

All we actually need is an elected leader: Call that position what you like: Scaremongers like to call it a president and scream "REPUBLIC!" like it's a thing to be alarmed about. An elected leader is fully accountable and can be got rid of, so far better than a bunch of Royal freeloaders that we can't get rid of.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    She might be announcing that David Icke was right and she really is a shape-shifting lizard and she'll be appearing in Celebrity Big Brother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What exactly does "Head of State" mean to you? Obviously a lot as you use it so many times in the above post.

All we actually need is an elected leader: Call that position what you like: Scaremongers like to call it a president and scream "REPUBLIC!" like it's a thing to be alarmed about. An elected leader is fully accountable and can be got rid of, so far better than a bunch of Royal freeloaders that we can't get rid of.

Head of state is Her Majesty.

Other Countries are not so fortunate.
    Forum Member

Definitely. Name me one thing a head of state actually does that is vital let alone worth the money countries spend on them.

I guess we need some kind of Queen to welcome other countries heads of state when they come over on a beano but we could always hire Graham Norton; Eddie Izzard or Paul O'Grady by the hour for that. They would certainly be better value.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will she be the first Queen to resign before death?
    Forum Member
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Will she be the first Queen to resign before death?

I think Queen Matilda moved over in favour of her son Henry II.

I bet most of you Royalist plebs never even knew we had a Queen Matilda. :p:D;-):)
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    It featured on BBC NEWS TELETEXT as being in todays paper?
    The BBC doesn't, and never did, have Teletext, it had Ceefax. ITV originally had Oracle, which it shared with Channel 4 until the end of 1992. In 1993 Teletext Ltd, started on ITV, with C4 having 4-Tel (until 2002) and then Four-Text (which ended in 2003).

The BBC now has BBC Red Button (although it was called BBCi until around 2008/9).

/pedant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely. Name me one thing a head of state actually does that is vital let alone worth the money countries spend on them.

I guess we need some kind of Queen to welcome other countries heads of state when they come over on a beano but we could always hire Graham Norton; Eddie Izzard or Paul O'Grady by the hour for that. They would certainly be better value.

You really do hate them don't you. :o
    Forum Member
    You really do hate them don't you. :o

Hate who?
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Queen Matilda moved over in favour of her son Henry II.

I bet most of you Royalist plebs never even knew we had a Queen Matilda. :p:D;-):)

She didn't go that willingly and not directly in favour of her son. (She was never crowned apparently She wasn't called Queen but designated Lady of England and Normandy - she was already Empress from marriage )The final agreement was that she let Stephen keet the crown but her son Henry (II) would succeed when Stephen died.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that that is what it is but of course that is WORK. It is not how I would want to spend my time.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    Not that that is what it is but of course that is WORK. It is not how I would want to spend my time.

I guess visiting people at christmas is going to be called work then...:D
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

If you go to the theatre it's time and a half ! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It might be :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hate who?

Royalty.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    i don't reckon she will abdicate during the message, but maybe give a timeline to stepping aside her health has been weakening in recent years and has reduced her duties passing them onto other members of the family.

She may just decide to say she will step aside in 5 years and gradually pass on ALL her public duties in those 5 years and in the final year just do private meetings with other heads of states etc.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she will abdicate when Prince Phillip dies.
  • iwearoddsocksiwearoddsocks Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then it should be no problem to point out the error in my statement.
    The Queen works very hard.

Well I'm convinced. Thanks SULLA, another great contribution.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    She didn't go that willingly and not directly in favour of her son. (She was never crowned apparently She wasn't called Queen but designated Lady of England and Normandy - she was already Empress from marriage )The final agreement was that she let Stephen keet the crown but her son Henry (II) would succeed when Stephen died.

That's right. She never was officailly a Queen of England as there had never been a Queen of all England before that and they didn't want one then. The first Queen of England was Mary I, the daughter of Henry VIII.