NEW Flora original

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
Forum Member
Hi I'm just canvassing opinions on the new formulation of flora original margarine.

I just bought some yesterday and I have to say it is disgusting :cry: I am struggling to describe the problem but it is very oily and artificial tasting and the smell is very strong.
I have used this brand pretty much all my life and I am gutted they have changed the flavour and texture to such a huge degree.

I've already phoned the manufacturer to register my displeasure and have been offered a voucher which is all very well and good but I'm going to have to trawl the shops to find the older style and stock up in the freezer. :( Not easy when I'm essentially housebound.

Why do companies do this without warning?! Grr

I understand this may seem trivial but I really just wanted to vent and also to see if I'm losing all sense of taste and it really isn't that bad.

Also can anyone suggest a brand which is very similar to the original flora flavour (green tub) so I can perhaps change brand.
Thanks.

Comments

• smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    How can it be new and original?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Clover instead. Much better. Or Vitalite if you insist on a Sunflower spread.
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can't eat flora - it makes me feel sick :(
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    How can it be new and original?

I'm assuming it's a new version of the original Flora as opposed to the low salt and light versions.

I remember when it was "the margarine for men".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only Flora I'd eat is the buttery one..
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope you are wrong about the flavour changing because it is the only margarine that I like, and I dislike butter, so I will have to think of an alternative to margarine so that my sandwiches aren't dry :)
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oil slick flora.it's what i call it .
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    Try Clover instead. Much better. Or Vitalite if you insist on a Sunflower spread.

Some of these margarines you can buy are vile. We just tried the Pure dairy free olive spread and it was revolting. I have used Clover for sandwiches and it's quite decent, but just have to have butter on toast as there's nothing to beat it.
  • dellaradellara Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    kona wrote: »
    Hi I'm just canvassing opinions on the new formulation of flora original margarine.

I just bought some yesterday and I have to say it is disgusting :cry: I am struggling to describe the problem but it is very oily and artificial tasting and the smell is very strong.
    I have used this brand pretty much all my life and I am gutted they have changed the flavour and texture to such a huge degree.

I've already phoned the manufacturer to register my displeasure and have been offered a voucher which is all very well and good but I'm going to have to trawl the shops to find the older style and stock up in the freezer. :( Not easy when I'm essentially housebound.

Why do companies do this without warning?! Grr

I understand this may seem trivial but I really just wanted to vent and also to see if I'm losing all sense of taste and it really isn't that bad.

Also can anyone suggest a brand which is very similar to the original flora flavour (green tub) so I can perhaps change brand.
    Thanks.
    Totally agree. I bought some of the new stuff this week and it's not nice. I have had Flora for years and really liked it as a healthy butter substitute, but I'm going to have to look for something else now. Not only is the new taste bad, but the consistency has changed and resembles that "Gold" brand when spread on toast. Grr from me too! I was looking for a Facebook page for it, but couldn't find a UK one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I totally agree. I tried some of the 'New Improved' 'Original' Flora this week and it all went straight in the bin. I don't know how they can just change the taste so dramatically, and call it the same as before. It is horrible. Please bring back the 'old' Original Flora at once! If they want to keep the new flavour, put it in different packaging. I am very disappointed and angry that they have done this. Grr!
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I always used flora's lighter than light (lilac tub) because is was really low fat and tasted great. Alas however it's nowhere to be found anywhere in my 3 Tesco's, Sainsburys, morrisons or Lidl - I'm gutted. It was only 17g fat per 100g which was great for a spread as some range from 38g - 60g!
    I've bought their new 'light' it's ok but still double the fat content.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco have Flora Buttery on offer at half price and it still seems to be the old recipe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    Flora buttery is where it is AT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness it seems you agree! :)

I urge you to phone the careline on 0800 446464 (UK) and report your unhappiness. They NEED to know the new flavour is gross and if nothing else you'll get a £2 voucher back.

Also because Unilever is a very large company you can spend it on any of their products PGTips colmans marmite amongst others.

I am hoping that if enough people complain and sales plummet they'll have a rethink.

I think the NEW formulation may be across the brand as I saw that the light tub also had the rebranding logo. So I warn the buttery folks you might be next!
    Forum Member
    kona, thanks for the phone number. I rang them today and provided my valuable feedback;). I have persevered, but still don't like the new Flora. I have changed to an olive spread, Bertolli and as they are owned by Unilever I can spend the vouchers there are going to send on that:). Hopefully they'll go back to making our old favourite. The guy on the phone said they had received quite a few like calls to ours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Entirely agree with your comments.

Flora Margarine as we knew it was special because it didn't taste like margarine! In addition, I have never tasted any other spread that is quite like Flora which makes the old version unique in my book. This is a problem because I simply cannot stand the 'Now Tastier' (my foot) version and am working through the market for a close approximation.

I too contacted Unilever. My e-mail was replied to very quickly but only told me what I expected to hear - it had been tasted by user groups who loved it...taste is a personal thing etc etc My taste buds are obviously in a minority.

Of course Unilver tested it but I am astounded that so many people must have given it the thumbs up - I wonder how many of these were Old Flora eaters.

I was not offered any vouchers, not that this concerned me.

I did though pose the question 'How can the current Now Tastier still be described as the Original?' This question was not answered. I have e-mailed back and specifically asked for this question to be answered this time. I firmly believe this is a case of Misrepresentation. I have not received a reply yet and probably do not expect to now. I am considering making a phone call next. If I don't get an answer I do intend writing to Trading Standards to see what their view is.

This change has really annoyed me and, unusually, my wife doesn't think I'm overreacting! She is a butter eater and not a Flora person but did use Flora in cooking and in making sandwiches for our son. She finds the smell so vile that she won't be using it any more.

I have enjoyed the product for what seems like forever (probably about 35 years) and as I say above nothing is quite like it. Without being over-dramatic I genuinely mean it when I say that eating bread and 'butter' (let alone toast and 'butter' which by the way I found went a bit soggy when smeared with the stuff) will never be the same again.

I share your pain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha. I just googled "new flora disgusting" and this thread came up as the third search result.

I've been buying Flora for 20+ years. The new formulation is rancid. It smells and tastes like cheap margarine. And it makes toast soggier than the old one did.

What's a good alternative now that the old formula is likely to be discontinued soon? I don't like butter so anything describing itself as "buttery" is a no no for me.
  • FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco have Flora Buttery on offer at half price and it still seems to be the old recipe.

There is a Facebook page called "that new flora buttery is disgusting." which may refer to these new formula changes.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/that-new-flora-buttery-is-disgusting/195702358281

"New Flora Original" is the official name used on the Flora website which I agree doesn't make sense.

They seem to have spent £30 million on it according to these industry publications and the comments people have left on both are negative as well. -
    http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/fresh/dairy/unilever-unveils-cool-new-blend-as-flora-focuses-on-sandwiches/225289.article
    http://www.talkingretail.com/products/product-news/flora-to-re-launch-flora-original-and-flora-light

I've had a look on Twitter and found two people liking the new Floras versus four people who hate it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you go on to the Flora Facebook page and click to see the "Everyone (Most Recent)" posts option all I see are negative posts on the new product and people commenting that they have stopped buying it ( Flora say they are passing on to the HQ).
    I can't see one person commenting to say they like it and they have over 58,000 Facebook group members.

Someone who returned it to the shop they bought it from was informed others had been complaining. It appears to be causing problems for the people who use it for baking as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firespire wrote: »
    There is a Facebook page called "that new flora buttery is disgusting." which may refer to these new formula changes.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/that-new-flora-buttery-is-disgusting/195702358281
    There's no mention of 'new recipe' on the two tubs I have so maybe it's just not in my local Tesco yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no mention of 'new recipe' on the two tubs I have so maybe it's just not in my local Tesco yet.

I think I must have been mistaken when I posted that link because from looking around the web it only appears to be Original and Light that have changed. I guess it must be an old Facebook page from when Flora Buttery was first launched and that is why they are calling it "new".
    Facebook's "RECENT ACTIVITY" I assume must not actually mean recent in date just last thing that happened on that page.
    Forum Member

What's a good alternative now that the old formula is likely to be discontinued soon? I don't like butter so anything describing itself as "buttery" is a no no for me.
    As I mentioned in my post above I am now on Bertolli which I like. It's an olive spread.

It's good that those of us who don't like it are voicing our concern, but I suspect the only way it may be changed back is if the sales drop off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I agree with all the comments made so far. The current offering of "Flora Original" is not original as the product can no-longer be used for frying applications as the primary consituent is WATER. I just happen to have some earlier examples of tubs of Flora (used in the past for storage of nuts, bolts, screws etc) and can compare the "ingredients" - the oldest tub I have was from when Van Den Burgh foods used to produce it.
    Unilever haven't learnt much, as they did a similar product adulteration in the 1980's with Persil washing powder. Overnight they replaced a perfectly good "best selling" product with a Biological version and started advertising that as the "Best Selling Biological Powder". They very quickly had to re-introduce the original product but then flashed it as Non-Bio. Did they ever get fined, I wonder. So far I'm waiting a response from Unilever as my "query" has been passed to the relevant department and that they expect to get back to me as soon as possible - that was on February 29th. and I haven't heard since. Looks like the only refund I'll get is by taking my 2 tubs back to my local Tesco.
    I too have changed over to an Olive Oil based spread that can be used for frying, etc. as well as making sandwiches - but not any Unilever product.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had the 500g tubs for £1 in the Co-Op so I got one.

I won't be buying it again. It's not a patch on the buttery version. all I ended up with was soggy weird tasting toast.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    My partner who has always used Flora all his life has said the same thing - the "new improved" one is vile and has a weird texture.

I don't use it as I'm allergic to dairy so tend to use Pure dairy free sunflower spread.

Does anyone know of an alternative my partner could use? Something as similar to "old" Flora as possible? He doesn't like my Pure spread..