Options

Norovirus (merged)

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This seems to be a lot higher this time round, most of my fb friends are going down like flies with it, my best friend was sick all last night but not sure if it was bottom end as well or just eaten something bad. Another had been feeling sick all day with a stomach like a roller coaster, I've had cramps tonight in the lower bowel but that could be my ibs.

How bad is this bug in your area? hope i don't get something on the lines of it :eek:

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mother's had this, but I haven't. Hopefully I don't catch it.
  • Options
    Kitty-Kat_MEOW.Kitty-Kat_MEOW. Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Threre is only 1 who has had it in my daughters class. I know the family and it did not spread to them so she might not have even had that, could have been another sickness.

i dont think it is anything to worry about.

Known more people who have had the flu jab this year who are getting nasty side effects from that.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw a link suggesting they expect a 600,000 to a million cases over the winter. Difficult to monitor as they advise not to go to Doctors/Hospitals. But based on I suppose acute cases, resulting in admissions they have made an estimate.

I think that was what I had at the weekend, trouble is it has now become a chest infection...so still off work.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    My Brother, Sister-in Law and their 2 kids have had it, now my Son has some sort of stomach bug,but don't think its Norovirus as he only has the runs, I feel quite dodgy myself but not had any other symptoms so hopefully I don't get it.
  • Options
    EmmasmytheEmmasmythe Posts: 530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    This seems to be a lot higher this time round, most of my fb friends are going down like flies with it, my best friend was sick all last night but not sure if it was bottom end as well or just eaten something bad. Another had been feeling sick all day with a stomach like a roller coaster, I've had cramps tonight in the lower bowel but that could be my ibs.

How bad is this bug in your area? hope i don't get something on the lines of it :eek:

I knew fb wasnt always safe buts thats alarming, lol.

Soz.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My whole family had this a few months back, its horrible, I was up all night throwing up and on the toilet. My sister had it the worst and developed gastroenteritis. Wouldn't wish it on anyone, its horrible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My colleague has been feeling ropey all day and has just texted to say that she went home and threw up big style so I'm just waiting for my turn..... :(
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I had it a few years ago and I've never been so sick. It was horrible. I wouldn't ever want to have it again.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it two years ago, it was awful. I'd felt off all day, decided to have an early night and went to bed at 10pm, the next thing I was awake at 1am being violently sick. This continued constantly for the next 12 hours or so and then then the diarreaha started:( and that last several days:(

It really knocked me about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a terrible stomach bug about 2 years ago. Was also sick a few times . Was ill for just under a month in the end. The doctor wasnt sure what it was in the end. Wouldnt have been suprised if it had been Norovirus tbh.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    We all had this in our house a couple of weeks ago. Thanks goodness it doesn't last long.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started with this last Wednesday and I'm only just starting to feel back to normal today. My stomach is looking ultra flat though so I guess there is an upside although I wasn't saying that a few days ago :D
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did have some sort of illness at the start of last week - vomiting and feeling queasy & weak for a couple of days, but it wasn't nearly as violent as when I had norovirus last year, so I'm not sure it was that this time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I've been quite lucky and not found anyone who has it.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    This seems to be a lot higher this time round, most of my fb friends are going down like flies :
    Typical "FB friends" going along with the latest fad
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had it last weekend. Contant sickness for 12 hours, couldn't keep anything down not even water, then less sickness but upset stomach for the next 24 hours.

I lost half a stone in two days :o

I've never been so ill in my life I swear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mate got it in the middle of this year - not just a winter thing but is more prevalent.

He was at a youth hostel place - luckily a doctor was staying there who made up a rehydration drink for him.

11hours worth of stuff from each end and that was it...not nice but over fairly quickly...apart from the few days to get over it.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Norovirus is different to a gastric flu or other stomach bug - it is seriously unpleasant.

I would liken it to severe morning sickness where even a sip of water makes you vomit. At one point, I would have preferred to have been dead.

We all had a sickness tummy bug this year and it was NOTHING like Norovirus.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had it a few years ago and I've never been so sick. It was horrible. I wouldn't ever want to have it again.
    fefster wrote: »
    Norovirus is different to a gastric flu or other stomach bug - it is seriously unpleasant.

I would liken it to severe morning sickness where even a sip of water makes you vomit. At one point, I would have preferred to have been dead.

We all had a sickness tummy bug this year and it was NOTHING like Norovirus.

I agree with these! I've had sickness bugs before, where you feel a bit queasy, maybe throw up a couple of times, maybe have a spot of diarrhoea... but earlier this year I was in Las Vegas and very suddenly felt a bit queasy during dinner. Within half an hour, I felt awful, and we walked pretty promptly back to the hotel. I lay groaning on the bed for about an hour, with terrible pains, and then I fell asleep for a couple of hours. Before I knew it, I was awake and spent the next 12 hours in the bathroom alternating (and sometimes not alternating) between vomit and diarrhoea. I have never had sickness like it, it was totally uncontrollable. At one point I thought I was about to die. Every sip of water prompted more vomiting, at one stage my mother made me drink some blue gatorade, which I immediately threw up again all over her.
  • Options
    renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My worst fear ever! (well one of them)
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started with this last Wednesday and I'm only just starting to feel back to normal today. My stomach is looking ultra flat though so I guess there is an upside although I wasn't saying that a few days ago :D

Yup, I'd say the only good thing about having norovirus is that you loose loads of weight.
  • Options
    quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four about the last 5 years every winter I have been getting something like this.

I suddenly feel really really sick for ages, tired like you wouldn't believe, I go to sleep then wake up feeling TERRIBLE - then I start to vomit - again and again - every 15 mins or so for about 12-16 hours. Nothing stays down and actually vomit vile again and again.

Then the sickness finally stops (quite suddenly actually) and I can eat and drink again... but then the diorreah starts!

I have had various tests and stuff in hospital but they can't find a cause.

I've always thought that I couldn't be that unlucky to get the norovirus 4 or 5 times every winter for the last 5 years but listening to your stories it sounds soooooooooooooo familiar!

What do you reckon?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    My other half had this in February this year - not good!! I even slept in the spare bedroom with our daughter who wasnt even a year old, just as extra prevention from catching it.
    I have a real fear of being sick :cry:

I read an article on Sky News a couple of weeks ago about how its back for the winter & Im praying we dont catch it, esp as I am now 3 weeks away from giving birth again. My other half had a really dodgy tummy the other night but we think it was something he ate...I can't tell you how scared I was :(
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an aside, getting better, and will have lost three days pay then just be on SSP.

What happens if your on benefits? Miss your appointment and no Job Seekers Allowance?