Options

World Vegetarian Day

Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Today is World Vegetarian Day. Any meat-eaters out there tempted to join the growing number of vegetarians and vegans in this country or at least try to reduce their meat consumption? According to the link below one in eight British adults are now vegetarian.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/517246/Vegetarians-are-on-the-increase-in-Britain

https://www.facebook.com/WorldVegetarianDay

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meat I could easily give up but I don't think I could live without fish. There is nothing tastier than a lovely piece of fresh fish cooked to perfection.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Great, I'll be frying at least two vegetarians for tea tonight then.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This girl came up to me yesterday and said she'd recognised me from vegetarian club.

I was confused, i'd never met herbivore.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every day is vegetarian day for me. Every date in the calendar must be dedicated to some cause or other by now.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty much a forced vegetarian (illness caused me to get sick when I eat meat or fish) and I would go back in a heartbeat:( I miss it.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're an omnivore, you rock. Chances are you're secure enough not to need some wimpy dedicated "day" to celebrate your lifestyle choice.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're an omnivore, you rock. Chances are you're secure enough not to need some wimpy dedicated "day" to celebrate your lifestyle choice.

Wimpy? I figured it was more about promoting a cause, and and why not? Whether you agree with it or not, there are perfectly valid arguments in favour of vegetarianism.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Being veg was hard going with limited choice when we first started about 30 years ago, but thats all changed these days. Now being near spoilt for choice.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do make great burgers though. Even the spicy beanburgers are nice.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Being veg was hard going with limited choice when we first started about 30 years ago, but thats all changed these days. Now being near spoilt for choice.

Yes, there's tons of good stuff around these days. It's refreshing to have more options when I'm out for a meal than omelette and chips.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Yes, there's tons of good stuff around these days. It's refreshing to have more options when I'm out for a meal than omelette and chips.

Agreed. I can tell the difference since I became a vegetarian nearly 30 years ago. Although, I think there's still limited choices for vegans.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Agreed. I can tell the difference since I became a vegetarian nearly 30 years ago. Although, I think there's still limited choices for vegans.

I turned veggie 35 years ago and I agree, these days it is so easy, I have been vegan for 16 years now and it is still a struggle to get vegan food, and eating out is extremely limited, I am hoping that that as we grow in number, and we are growing in number, then demand will soon be met.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone explain the difference between vegetarian and vegan?
  • Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Can someone explain the difference between vegetarian and vegan?

Vegetarians don't eat meat but are fine with dairy. Vegans don't eat meat or dairy or any product that comes from a living creature, not even honey.

To celebrate world vegetarian day I'm going to buy a family sized mixed grill from the kebab shop on my way home from work.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I'm not vegetarian, but I don't eat red meat.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very simply, the main difference is that vegans don't eat/use any bits of animals, which means not wearing leather or eating eggs or dairy. Vegetarians don't eat meat.

I'm an omnivore who regularly has days without meat, but there is something about having a "vegetarian day" that puts me off. At least, I don't like a suggestion that today I should be veggie, because it somehow suggests that a day without meat turns you into a vegetarian for the day.

IMO, this sort of thing would be better pitched at restaurants and cafes, because as an omnivore, I still think the veggie selection is lacking in a lot of restaurants, and over-priced for what you get. I know it's better than it used to be, but often when I eat out I fancy something without meat, but quickly realise there isn't anything I fancy. The angle could be to encourage places to have an extra veggie special on the menu etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uncle_Phil wrote: »
    Vegetarians don't eat meat but are fine with dairy. Vegans don't eat meat or dairy or any product that comes from a living creature, not even honey.

To celebrate world vegetarian day I'm going to buy a family sized mixed grill from the kebab shop on my way home from work.

Thanks for that. Seems like an awful lot of work.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of what we choose to eat, aren't we all omnivores?
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely there are thousands of these "World/National Day of xxxxxxxxxx" now? Definitely more than 365. Seems a bit random which ones get any publicity or traction. Wonder who polices them and decrees what's what or can any random bod set them up on Facebook or whatever and bored/lazy journos can latch on to them to fill a few inches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Surely there are thousands of these "World/National Day of xxxxxxxxxx" now? Definitely more than 365. Seems a bit random which ones get any publicity or traction. Wonder who polices them and decrees what's what or can any random bod set them up on Facebook or whatever and bored/lazy journos can latch on to them to fill a few inches.

I have called a World Farting Day for October 23rd :D
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have called a World Farting Day for October 23rd :D

Quite apt given the pulse/bean-related diet of many veggies I guess;-)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes go for a day without eating meat. Would never go vegan because eggs and milk have vitamin B12 in them. I don't want any of the tablets that you can buy from shops either. I want vitamin B12 naturally.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. Seems like an awful lot of work.

In what way? you mean cooking? not really, we can be as lazy as meat eaters when we wish, almost everything you can buy made of meat, I can buy a vegan version.

It is difficult to eat out though, as there is still a lot of ignorance over what we eat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Quite apt given the pulse/bean-related diet of many veggies I guess;-)

If we combine Vegetarian Day and Farting Day, we can really raise a stink
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Great, I'll be frying at least two vegetarians for tea tonight then.

Medium rare, please.