Retina display

louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know that if one has 20/20 vision, one will naturally be able to view the pixellation, with / out retina display. Average eyesight, and a standard ipad should appear fine. I have a bad left eye, and an ok right eye, so I don't think paying more for an ipad with retina display would offer any advantages for me. If anyone can tell me any different, please do, as I want to make the correct choice. Thanks.

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I know that if one has 20/20 vision, one will naturally be able to view the pixellation, with / out retina display. Average eyesight, and a standard ipad should appear fine. I have a bad left eye, and an ok right eye, so I don't think paying more for an ipad with retina display would offer any advantages for me. If anyone can tell me any different, please do, as I want to make the correct choice. Thanks.

Without actually know what your eyesight is like no one could really tell you...what does you optician say about your eyesight?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go and look at some different tablets in a store. I'm sure that you will be able to see the difference between a high PPI display and a low PPI display.
  • b.leverb.lever Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    Go and look at some different tablets in a store. I'm sure that you will be able to see the difference between a high PPI display and a low PPI display.

Hmv has a good selection on display , including the nexus .
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look close enough at any screen you will see the pixelation. Apple sticks the high-res screens in everything now, except iPad mini, have to get rid of those screens first. Up to you if you want it.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nexus 10 display is superior to the Retina display equipped iPad.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

In principle, once you get beyond 300 PPI, additional density makes no difference as it is beyond human perception. However, there is more to picture quality than the pixel density.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the retina display on the i-pad is beautiful. i would compare to a glossy magazine
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    retina display isn't good or clear in bright light, even indoors. I'd say try them out before buying anything
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Only just! The difference is so marginal as to be unlikely to be at all obvious in real life!
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    retina display isn't good or clear in bright light, even indoors. I'd say try them out before buying anything
    No worse than any other tablet though, and you'll find the retina iPad display is better than a lot of them.

They are all LCD displays at the end of the day.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Retina is nothing more than a marketing phrase for "hi-res". Dont be sucked in.

It has nothing to do with how good it is in clear or bright light.