Options

Advice about our tenancy

Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
Forum Member
Our landlord is a dick. Sorry just wanted to get that out first.

I need some advice please.

Our tenancy ran out on the 27th July 2015 and our landlord has not renewed it so therefore it becomes a rolling contract. When the tenancy was coming to a end in July I rang the landlord to negotiate a deal where by he does not raise the rent (He was planning to) and I would use that money to get the fence fixed in the garden (It has been in poor condition since before we moved in). I said to him I wanted the tenancy first so once we got the fence done he did not put the rent up and we had a guaranteed 6 months at the lower rent.

He did not provide this so I did not get the fence done. I am not chasing him for a new tenancy as I have done it in previous years and I am not doing it anymore. It is not my job. I am fed up of chasing him for stuff he should be doing.

Anyway he calls me today asking if I have done the fence I said no as I had not had a 6 month tenancy and he said he agreed to 6 months at the lower rent. I said that is no good to me as I needed a set contract to protect myself for any rises.

He then said that I had been paying the lower rent since July anyway to which I replied Yes as it changed to a rolling contract. He then said he expects the fence done.

He is coming tomorrow to give me a contract from July 2015 to Feb 2016 and a new one from Feb 2016 to July 2016.

Is he able to backtrack a tenancy? If not do you have a link that will back this up for me?

Also am I obliged to sign a new tenancy that would start in Feb 2016 as we are looking at moving away from him?

Many thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there has been a periodic tenancy in operation anyway, so I don't really see any paticular benefit to you in signing a backdated agreement (aside from the possibility that you think he might start being funny about providing a reference, perhaps).

I don't see any way in which you are obliged to sign the further agreement.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Our landlord is a dick. Sorry just wanted to get that out first.

I need some advice please.

Our tenancy ran out on the 27th July 2015 and our landlord has not renewed it so therefore it becomes a rolling contract. When the tenancy was coming to a end in July I rang the landlord to negotiate a deal where by he does not raise the rent (He was planning to) and I would use that money to get the fence fixed in the garden (It has been in poor condition since before we moved in). I said to him I wanted the tenancy first so once we got the fence done he did not put the rent up and we had a guaranteed 6 months at the lower rent.

He did not provide this so I did not get the fence done. I am not chasing him for a new tenancy as I have done it in previous years and I am not doing it anymore. It is not my job. I am fed up of chasing him for stuff he should be doing.

Anyway he calls me today asking if I have done the fence I said no as I had not had a 6 month tenancy and he said he agreed to 6 months at the lower rent. I said that is no good to me as I needed a set contract to protect myself for any rises.

He then said that I had been paying the lower rent since July anyway to which I replied Yes as it changed to a rolling contract. He then said he expects the fence done.

He is coming tomorrow to give me a contract from July 2015 to Feb 2016 and a new one from Feb 2016 to July 2016.

Is he able to backtrack a tenancy? If not do you have a link that will back this up for me?

Also am I obliged to sign a new tenancy that would start in Feb 2016 as we are looking at moving away from him?

Many thanks for any help

No you are not, Just don't sign it....He can't make you. If you sign the other one you will have a tenancy until February and can look at moving on
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    (aside from the possibility that you think he might start being funny about providing a reference, perhaps)..

We got notice to quit our old place in July, moved out at the end of August, and lettings agent said that in regards to the reference they ask a couple of questions - was the rent paid on time, and did it ever go into arrears and was the place kept in good condition and clean. They also said that working full time is a bonus.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop paying your rent if you're moving out till he fixes the fence
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Terrible advice, unless you can rent a new place without a reference.

I'm a bit confused about what the issue is. You asked for lower rent in lieu of fixing the fence. You got the lower rent so I don't understand why you haven't fixed the fence?

I've been where I am for years because the landlord and I managed a bit of give and take (not raisng the rent to a stupid level in lieu of me doing things like buying white goods). The landlord said he'd put something in writing but hasn't got round to it. As far as I'm concerned we made an agreement and I wouldn't dream of backtracking on it (eg by taking the white goods if I move out) just because he didn't write it down.

If you didn't want to make an agreement to fix the fence for lower rent you shoudn't have done it. It's bad form not to keep to your agreement in my view.

The fence will get done. Still got two months of our agreement. Just annoyed a bit that we have not had a tenancy that he agreed to.