What can an iPhone do that an S3 cant?

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Assuming they want to show off their new products to as wide an audience as possible, what would their motive be for such a restriction?

And it's just a coincidence that they stopped streaming them at all a few years ago just when demand / interest because of the iPhone would have increased dramatically.

You know, your arguing is becoming familiar.....

Anyway, demand/news of the iphone, ipad has actually decreased in the last few years. Not 1 products apple has launched in the last 2 years has been exciting.

Don't you think its odd that the first year they bring back live streaming, its limited to apple users only? Why didn't they put it through youtube like many others if apple cant handle the bandwidth? Because its of course rubbish.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I have one here right now in my hand and i can use it with one hand easily although like i say, its not comfy to do like its not to use the iphone 4S or 5 or in fact, any phone.

You are telling me that its not possible, implying i am lying when i have absolutely no need to but our wrong but just wont leave it.....

So tell me, is there anything else the iphone can do the S3 cant?

The one hand thing has become a bit laboured now, but I suspect the reason you don't find it comfortable is because its not actually that easy at all, because of the size of the screen, causing you to stretch your thumb making it uncomfortable.

As for things the iPhone does well? I have a mac too, so find things like reading lists and iCloud tabs useful. I like that I can take a photo on it, and it will automatically be on the mac when I get home, or it can show up on my parent's mac with a couple of taps.

It's by and by anyway - the main thing the iPhone does for me that the S3 doesn't is have an OS and UI that I prefer. Isn't that enough without the insinuation that people with that preference are morons?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The one hand thing has become a bit laboured now, but I suspect the reason you don't find it comfortable is because its not actually that easy at all, because of the size of the screen, causing you to stretch your thumb making it uncomfortable.

As for things the iPhone does well? I have a mac too, so find things like reading lists and iCloud tabs useful. I like that I can take a photo on it, and it will automatically be on the mac when I get home, or it can show up on my parent's mac with a couple of taps.

It's by and by anyway - the main thing the iPhone does for me that the S3 doesn't is have an OS and UI that I prefer. Isn't that enough without the insinuation that people with that preference are morons?

So nothing then :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    You know, your arguing is becoming familiar.....

Anyway, demand/news of the iphone, ipad has actually decreased in the last few years. Not 1 products apple has launched in the last 2 years has been exciting.

Don't you think its odd that the first year they bring back live streaming, its limited to apple users only? Why didn't they put it through youtube like many others if apple cant handle the bandwidth? Because its of course rubbish.

Familiar? :confused:

As for the streaming, it was just a thought based on the fact that it makes no sense to restrict it to Apple users.

So what's your theory for their motives?
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Isn't that enough without the insinuation that people with that preference are morons?

Sadly not.

But until we see a report from someone who is unbiased and runs Android with both a PC or a Mac who can compare it with a phone running Windows mobile 8 / Windows 8 and a Mac running Mountian Lion and a phone on IOS6. We're never going to get to the bottom of this.

Because no-one really knows. We have heard much of the 50 things that the S3 can do that the iPhone can't.

And then it turns out that it can.

Everyone has their vested interests - right down to rubbishing reviews that don't co-incide with their world view.

But I'll give you one. I wish (and in each version think it will be solved) - the simplest, yet more useful thing an iPhone can't do.

Have an LED flash when someone has called or left a message.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    So nothing then :D

They were things off the top of my head, not things I claimed were exclusive to the iPhone.

The bottom line with these sorts of discussions is that some people seem to argue that Android phones to x, y and z, therefore anyone who buys an iPhone is a moron. And they're incapable of getting that some people just prefer iOS, and aren't bothered about x, y and z.

But I'm open minded - what would you say are the five big draws to Android that might make me want to switch?
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the constant disagreement as to whether a large screen phone like an S3 can be held and used in one hand, I think there must be a disparity between the definitions of "holding" and "using".

I think the Apple definition is that you are gripping the phone so if you were nudged it wouldn't fly out of your hand, and are still able to activate controls on all parts of the screen without excessively accidentally activating nearby controls, all the while not releasing your grip.

With average male hands, I can and do that with an iPhone, no problem. However, could I do that with an S3? Or rather than gripping it, would I be merely resting in my palm, held in place by nothing more than gravity, shuffling it around to access distant parts of the screen? Those that say they can, I'd like to see a demonstration, 'cos I ain't convinced.
    Forum Member
    They were things off the top of my head, not things I claimed were exclusive to the iPhone.

The bottom line with these sorts of discussions is that some people seem to argue that Android phones to x, y and z, therefore anyone who buys an iPhone is a moron. And they're incapable of getting that some people just prefer iOS, and aren't bothered about x, y and z.

But I'm open minded - what would you say are the five big draws to Android that might make me want to switch?

COST

SUPERIOR HANDSET SPEC

HUGE VARIETY OF HANDSET ALLOWING WHAT BEST SUITS YOUR REQUIREMENTS INSTEAD OF A ONE SIZE FITS ALL APPROACH.

TRUE UNRESTRICTED OS ALLOWING AS LITTLE OR AS MUCH CUSTOMISATION AS YOU WISH, INCLUDING ADVANCED FEATURES SUCH AS TRUE MULTITASKING, WIDGETS, NFC, SD CARD SUPPORT, REMOVABLE BATTERIES, DRAG AND DROP - NO NEED FOR SOFTWARE SUCH AS iTUNES, TRUE ACCESS TO OPEN STANDARDS DLNA ETC

SEVERAL MAJOR AND WORTHWHILE UPDATES A YEAR ESPECIALLY ON NEXUS DEVICES ADDITIONALLY EASY ACCESS TO HUGE DEVELOPMENT COMMUNITY ALLOWING ENDLESS OS POSSIBILITIES.

apologies for caps didnt realise it was on :D

Possibly better reasons out there just a quickie.
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Sadly not.

But until we see a report from someone who is unbiased and runs Android with both a PC or a Mac who can compare it with a phone running Windows mobile 8 / Windows 8 and a Mac running Mountian Lion and a phone on IOS6. We're never going to get to the bottom of this.

Because no-one really knows. We have heard much of the 50 things that the S3 can do that the iPhone can't.

And then it turns out that it can.

Everyone has their vested interests - right down to rubbishing reviews that don't co-incide with their world view.

But I'll give you one. I wish (and in each version think it will be solved) - the simplest, yet more useful thing an iPhone can't do.

Have an LED flash when someone has called or left a message.

Not sure what you mean here are you saying you need to own a Mac to get the best out of an iphone?

Surely the iphone can stand on its own merits can't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    COST

SUPERIOR HANDSET SPEC

HUGE VARIETY OF HANDSET ALLOWING WHAT BEST SUITS YOUR REQUIREMENTS INSTEAD OF A ONE SIZE FITS ALL APPROACH.

TRUE UNRESTRICTED OS ALLOWING AS LITTLE OR AS MUCH CUSTOMISATION AS YOU WISH, INCLUDING ADVANCED FEATURES SUCH AS TRUE MULTITASKING, WIDGETS, NFC, SD CARD SUPPORT, REMOVABLE BATTERIES, DRAG AND DROP - NO NEED FOR SOFTWARE SUCH AS iTUNES, TRUE ACCESS TO OPEN STANDARDS DLNA ETC

SEVERAL MAJOR AND WORTHWHILE UPDATES A YEAR ESPECIALLY ON NEXUS DEVICES ADDITIONALLY EASY ACCESS TO HUGE DEVELOPMENT COMMUNITY ALLOWING ENDLESS OS POSSIBILITIES.

apologies for caps didnt realise it was on :D

Possibly better reasons out there just a quickie.

Cost - if I prefer the look and feel of a device, I don't mind paying a bit more.

Superior handset spec - I'm far more interested in a device's OS and UI than a willy waving contest over the specs, which usually have no significant or meaningful advantage in day to day use between devices.

Huge variety of handsets - perhaps, but my preference really is the iPhone over other phones, which are usually plastic. Either way, I"'m not sure there's that much difference between any two smartphones that particularly make one more suited over another.

I don't really have a problem with the lack of customisation, or whatever it is that true multitasking adds to anything. A phone isn't really big to have multiple windows open, so I don't ever find myself wishing I could. Don't see NFC as important while it hasn't taken off that much. Don't know what I would need to drag and drop anywhere, or need extra storage. And I don't see much advantage in not needing iTunes, when iTunes does everything I need to listen to music.

I totally get that all of the above might be important to some people, what I don't get are all the insinuations that people who aren't bothered by any of that are stupid sheeple, and would never buy an iPhone if only they knew what they were missing.
    Forum Member
    Cost - if I prefer the look and feel of a device, I don't mind paying a bit more.

Superior handset spec - I'm far more interested in a device's OS and UI than a willy waving contest over the specs, which usually have no significant or meaningful advantage in day to day use between devices.

Huge variety of handsets - perhaps, but my preference really is the iPhone over other phones, which are usually plastic. Either way, I"'m not sure there's that much difference between any two smartphones that particularly make one more suited over another.

I don't really have a problem with the lack of customisation, or whatever it is that true multitasking adds to anything. A phone isn't really big to have multiple windows open, so I don't ever find myself wishing I could. Don't see NFC as important while it hasn't taken off that much. Don't know what I would need to drag and drop anywhere, or need extra storage. And I don't see much advantage in not needing iTunes, when iTunes does everything I need to listen to music.

I totally get that all of the above might be important to some people, what I don't get are all the insinuations that people who aren't bothered by any of that are stupid sheeple, and would never buy an iPhone if only they knew what they were missing.

So basically whatever the iPhone doesn't offer you don't need or want :D

such as your claim that your more interested in a devices os than spec yet don't want any additional features android offers, in fact you want just ios regardless.

Perhaps tell me what I am missing then!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huge variety of handsets - perhaps, but my preference really is the iPhone over other phones, which are usually plastic

The new nexus is all glass.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do strike me though as you just dont need any feature unless Apple give it to you. Then when Apple does implement the feature its the best thing since sliced bread or a retina display. :rolleyes:

I also dont understand why you've come into this thread and not given any things that the iphone can do the S3 cant. Unless i'm missing them. Note i've already dismissed the holding with one hand thing.
    Forum Member
    Not sure what you mean here are you saying you need to own a Mac to get the best out of an iphone?

In a word. Yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically whatever the iPhone doesn't offer you don't need or want :D

such as your claim that your more interested in a devices os than spec yet don't want any additional features android offers, in fact you want just ios regardless.

Perhaps tell me what I am missing then!

You're missing the simple enough fact that not everyone shares your preferences. And no need to twist my words - I just said why none of the above were deal breakers in any way.

Why, for example, is not needing iTunes an advantage if it already is a pretty great music player? AFAICT, I don't get any additional benefit there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why, for example, is not needing iTunes an advantage if it already is a pretty great music player? AFAICT, I don't get any additional benefit there.

Lol, you must be on OSX then if you think iTunes is great.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the hardware is virtually identical, the arguments are really Android Vs IOS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, you must be on OSX then if you think iTunes is great.

I am, but not sure it's relevant to iTunes / Music on the iPhone.

As it is, I tap an icon, and can scroll through artists, albums and songs, play music, shuffle, repeat etc.

So still not sure what I'm missing.
    Forum Member
    Since the hardware is virtually identical, the arguments are really Android Vs IOS.

Very much the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new nexus is all glass.

Then I'm sure it will look and feel a better build quality than plastic phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am, but not sure it's relevant to iTunes / Music on the iPhone.

As it is, I tap an icon, and can scroll through artists, albums and songs, play music, shuffle, repeat etc.

So still not sure what I'm missing.

Well iTunes on windows is the most horrible bloat which hangs and crashes ever written.

Thats how i knew you ran it on OSX.

It probably explains why you love anything apple, and dont need anything thats not apple aswell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well iTunes on windows is the most horrible bloat which hangs and crashes ever written.

It probably explains why you love anything apple, and dont need anything thats not apple aswell.

I was talking about it on the iPhone though, not OSX.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do strike me though as you just dont need any feature unless Apple give it to you. Then when Apple does implement the feature its the best thing since sliced bread or a retina display. :rolleyes:

I also dont understand why you've come into this thread and not given any things that the iphone can do the S3 cant. Unless i'm missing them. Note i've already dismissed the holding with one hand thing.

It's not really about features provided by anyone. As it is the iPhone does all the basic stuff well enough - contacts, calendar etc. And provides a wealth of apps that can easily be organised, with literally dozens accessible with a maximum of two taps. And all packaged in what is, IMO, the best looking hardware, with the best build quality.

With the comfortably using (not holding) in one hand thing, to be honest I didn't think at the time it would be so controversial.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Familiar? :confused:

As for the streaming, it was just a thought based on the fact that it makes no sense to restrict it to Apple users.

So what's your theory for their motives?

Only a theory, but here goes.

Hype plays a big part in Apple's marketing efforts, everything from the queues to the numerous blogs and leaks over every tiny detail.

When they announce a product, they talk a lot of shit. e.g. "children will look happier, the sea will look bluer". Now, if that's filtered through handpicked pro-Apple journalists (or at the very least not anti-Apple), then there's a lot less "hang on a minute, that's been out on other phones for 2 years." or "they're not actually saying anything here. just lots of buzzwords that don't mean anything". (when there was no streaming at all) The average interested party doesn't get watch it straight away and make their own mind up, they get someone's impressions of it. Yes they can watch it after the event, but by then there's already 6 articles on each tech site, and the social networks are a-chatter with the shiny new i-features.

Now for whatever reason, they start up the live streaming again, rather than leaving it open for us scoffers to point and laugh, they limit it to people who at least own an Apple device of some sort, skewing the social media chatter in their favour.

Likewise, every product magically selling out within a few hours of pre-orders being taken - do you really think they couldn't have enough stock available if they wanted to? No, they plan for the queues, it gets them coverage, and products hard to obtain become more desirable. If they wanted to, they could have iphones or ipads for everyone who wanted them on day 1, but that doesn't fit their marketing plan.

The idea that the richest company in the world is unable to stream a product launch to whoever wanted to watch it (which lets face it, is going to be a pretty hardcore techy bunch - the average consumer doesn't sit and watch these things) is ludicrous. The stream of the skydiver on youtube managed 8 million concurrent views, I seriously doubt Apple keynotes would get anywhere near that if they were open to all; the most viewed launch on youtube appears to be the ipod launch, which after 6 years has only amassed 3.7m views.

Just a theory of course; without being a fly on the wall, no-one knows for sure.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

iTunes is bloody awful on OS X too (although not quite as awful as on Windows).