Serie A:Your favourite Italian football club and why?

13»

Comments

• celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got nothing against Zidane at all.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roma for me when I used to watch Football Italia on Channel 4 in the late 90's. I wanted to choose a decent team but go for someone less "obvious" than the likes of Juventus or AC Milan. Also have a soft spot for Fiorentina because Batistuta played for them, who is one of my favourite players of all time.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    Palermo?

That'll be the one, wasn't lying when I said I didn't follow it lol
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, I have two favourite Italian teams, that I just cannot separate, first of all, Florentina, as I just grew up loving and idolising Batigoal, he was just amazing, his long rage shooting, and the power was just fantastic, then their was the fabulous colour of their shirts, purple was always my favourite colour growing up, and seeing them play in it, just cemented my love for them.

Jointly, I also like AC Milan, Baresi was the one player out of that team that I could watch all day long, (and decades later, getting a chance to shake his hand at a meal in my local village hall, after seeing him play on Nantwich Town's ground was utterly surreal!), he just knew when to step up, and when not to, a simply great defender.
    Then of course you had all the attacking talent of the early 90's, which all contributed to my admiration of them every time they were on Channel 4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, I have two favourite Italian teams, that I just cannot separate, first of all, Florentina, as I just grew up loving and idolising Batigoal, he was just amazing, his long rage shooting, and the power was just fantastic, then their was the fabulous colour of their shirts, purple was always my favourite colour growing up, and seeing them play in it, just cemented my love for them.

They would have won Lo Scudetto if Batistuta hadn't done his hamstring in the 98/99 season.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    Also have a soft spot for Fiorentina because Batistuta played for them, who is one of my favourite players of all time.

From a female perspective he was also one of the most beautiful footballers to ever play the game. When he played in Roma next to Totti, that was quite a sight :blush:
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jointly, I also like AC Milan, Baresi was the one player out of that team that I could watch all day long, (and decades later, getting a chance to shake his hand at a meal in my local village hall, after seeing him play on Nantwich Town's ground was utterly surreal!), he just knew when to step up, and when not to, a simply great defender.
    Then of course you had all the attacking talent of the early 90's, which all contributed to my admiration of them every time they were on Channel 4.

Just who is this "batigoal" you speak of, I have heard of "batigol", as this was surley the nickname of Batistuta.

Batigoal?
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just who is this "batigoal" you speak of, I have heard of "batigol", as this was surley the nickname of Batistuta.

Batigoal?

I am sorry if you didn't understand who I was talking about, yes, I was talking about my admiration for Batistuta, sorry if one letter changed the whole meaning of my description.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy on the commas, man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    From a female perspective he was also one of the most beautiful footballers to ever play the game. When he played in Roma next to Totti, that was quite a sight :blush:

I remember Gabby Logan drooling over him when she was hosting ITV's Champions League coverage the season Fiorentina were in it. It was excruciatingly embarrassing.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great story batdude, Baresi was a super defender, I remember how he got injured at USA 94, had an operation and still managed to play in the Final, where he was outstanding. Devastated to see him crying after the penalty shoot out. :cry:
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Kroos is a great player though :p I still think he's worth more than Shaw.

Different players who play in different positions, signed by different clubs that have different needs and budgets. They're also of different ages and had different contractual situations.

Any direct comparison is a mug's game.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two teams come to mind for me, for different reasons though;

Udinese
    Always the underdog, but somehow manage to keep punching well above their weight in Serie A. They seem to have one of the best scouting networks going, the only sad thing is that many of the players they discover rarely stay for more than a season or two. The exception to that is Toto Di Natale - who is just a wonderful example of what everyone would like all footballers to be like!

Napoli
    This one is quite straight-forward, I'm a Liverpool fan and Rafa Benitez for me is one of the most under-rated managers the English game has seen in a long time. He coaches Napoli, therefore I want to see Napoli do well in Serie A.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry if you didn't understand who I was talking about, yes, I was talking about my admiration for Batistuta, sorry if one letter changed the whole meaning of my description.

batigol or batigoal is doesn't matter, means same thing

and what a goal celebration too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »
    Two teams come to mind for me, for different reasons though;

Udinese
    Always the underdog, but somehow manage to keep punching well above their weight in Serie A. They seem to have one of the best scouting networks going, the only sad thing is that many of the players they discover rarely stay for more than a season or two. The exception to that is Toto Di Natale - who is just a wonderful example of what everyone would like all footballers to be like!

Napoli
    This one is quite straight-forward, I'm a Liverpool fan and Rafa Benitez for me is one of the most under-rated managers the English game has seen in a long time. He coaches Napoli, therefore I want to see Napoli do well in Serie A.

BIB - Loyalty is such a rare thing in football nowadays, which is why footballers like Totti, Maldini, Del Piero, Buffon and Batistuta are just extra special. They stuck with their clubs through thick and thin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Even if it was all his fault Italy threw that game away (and it wasn't, Italy played 3 CBs, of which he was the most central, so he didn't have a "side") it wouldn't change anything. He was still a complete defender to me and one I admired greatly. It's a bit like you thinking Kroos is an amazing player but me thinking he's overrated. It's fine. :)

Kroos was 'perfect' tonight :p