Orphan

2»

Comments

• Keyplayer2010Keyplayer2010 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw it tonight, slow to start but i enjoyed it and never saw the twist at the end coming.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,831
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain where the son was at the end of the movie or was he just conveniently forgotten about?

Presumably still in the hospital recovering? Didn't the dad tell Kate when she was sedated in the hospital that it would be a few days before they knew how he was going to be?

Thought it was a good film, but knew the twist beforehand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    That was terrible. No tension, cliched scares, stupid characters (the father was completely retarded!) and an utterly ridiculous (not to mention hilarious) twist.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I thought it was great. Glad I caught it.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Presumably still in the hospital recovering? Didn't the dad tell Kate when she was sedated in the hospital that it would be a few days before they knew how he was going to be?

Thought it was a good film, but knew the twist beforehand.

Ahh, forgot he was in the hospital, thanks for that! :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flagged up in RT as “edited for violence” so I gave it the swerve. Now horror films airing after the watershed need to have the scissors taken to them for a bit of fake blood do they? Well done Channel 4 for treating your audience like children.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I quite enjoyed it...thought the twist was a bit daft tbh.
    I missed a few minutes where Esther put her arm in the clamp,and I presume broke her own arm, the next bit I saw she was in bed and dad was telling mum 'you broke her arm'..presuming they went to hospital would someone not notice she didn't have the bones of a child?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Watched this last night, it was weird to say the least. Out of all the twists in the world, i would have never expected
    dwarfism!
    . A bit daft like, had to chuckle to myself. Good that hardly anyone would ever expect that twist though!
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Really? I never saw it listed on Sky. You sure you don't mean Box Office?

I dont ever remember Orphan being on Sky Movies. The film was in cinemas in August 2009 so its on C4 really early. I would have thought it should still be playing on Sky.

I saw it at the cinema and had forgotten about it until i saw it listed on C4. So watched it again last night and really enjoyed it. I did remember the twist though.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I thought it was really good and the girl playing Esther was outstanding. I really enjoyed it, didn't see the twist coming at all and it had me totally hooked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Alicia123 wrote: »
    Good that hardly anyone would ever expect that twist though!

it was pretty much staring you in the face from the start, the little collection of hubby photos, pushing the mother out of the family to get cosy with the dad.

I thought it was ok, not a bad film but not a great either.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    It's slightly different to
    dwarfism
    , read up about the film and you will get the name of the actual
    condition
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    it was pretty much staring you in the face from the start, the little collection of hubby photos, pushing the mother out of the family to get cosy with the dad.

I thought it was ok, not a bad film but not a great either.

So are you saying that you thought - 'Oh she's really an adult with a genetic disorder causing a specific kind of dwarfism' before the actual film exposition?

Yes, the clues were there along the way, but I hardly think the twist was obvious.
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    Off topic- The Shining is on itv4 now
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it mixed up with that Spanish film The Orphanage [ very good film with a few Jump out of yer Seat moments ).
    I see a US version is in the planning stage.

The Orphan was OK, derivative hokum, but still scarier than The Exorcist,

As for the " twist " I didn't see it coming at all, as usual
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunce-2007 wrote: »
    Off topic- The Shining is on itv4 now

A masterpiece.I watched both 'The Loved Ones'(Film4) on Saturday night and 'The Orphan' last night.Both good films,plenty of blood and gore.Brain disengaged.
    But neither come anywhere close to The Shining.It hasn't aged a bit in all these years.
  • Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    A masterpiece.I watched both 'The Loved Ones'(Film4) on Saturday night and 'The Orphan' last night.Both good films,plenty of blood and gore.Brain disengaged.
    But neither come anywhere close to The Shining.It hasn't aged a bit in all these years.

Absolutely, I can rewatch that movie over and over at anytime and always notice new things.

I like Orphan but I have to be in the right mood to watch it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    The Orphan was OK, derivative hokum, but still scarier than The Exorcist,

:eek:Lol.

For me, The Exorcist is second only to The Shining in terms of the greatest horror movies ever.
  • shauryashaurya Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    better than The Roommate
  • johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I saw this in the cinema when it first came out, but I watched it again today on DVD.
    The twist was amazing and unpredictable, but the ending could have been more definite.

It occurs to me that the film is done mainly from the mother's point of view - frustrated with a disbelieving husband. It would be interesting to see an alternative version of the film from the father's point of view - dealing with an increasingly paranoid wife, and with the evil acts by Esther being revealed only at the end in the form of flashbacks.