Casey Kasem on Smooth Radio?????

up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
:eek:
I'm aware that Smoth 70's has been 're-running' old American prigrammes for a while.but putting this on the main network in the evenings over Christmas?? The man has retired from radio, he's not even a jock anymore! This is just evidence that Smooth is being run down slowly. In fact 80 year old Kasem's only recent activity has been to voice the part of Shaggy in Scooby Doo.Tell you what Smooth. why do nt you just get the pop star Shaggy in to record a few links,you might as well seeing as with the Hit Factory Live concert tie up with Real Doris in Penge is going to be subjected to 2 Unlimited in concert on Smooth......:eek: .The Smooth brand is just being steadily eroded away.Donny Osmond, Casey Kasem. how long before Lynn Parsons is forced to speak with an American accent?. If Smooth can't or won't pay for one of their own presenters to knock out a few links, let alone do a live show .then radio really is in a very sorry state.

Comments

• darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smooth are only playing some of casey's kasems AT10 Christmas shows from the early noughties,i doubt it will be a regular thing
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    smooth are only playing some of casey's kasems AT10 Christmas shows from the early noughties,i doubt it will be a regular thing

That's not really the point I'm making.
  • SibeberSibeber Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not really the point I'm making.

It's only 2 programmes I believe .Casey's countdown of the top 60 American Christmas songs .I think they will make a nice change .I for one have no complaints .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    This man is now 80 years old! Still broadcasting! Way to go.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His show is more entertaining than many others out there
  • Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    calderjon wrote: »

This man is retired in 2009 and he is a legend. Please, a little respect.

And I agree that his shows are fresher than a lot of shows and radio content nowdays. What we have the luck of listening are re runs of his shows.
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm aware that Smoth 70's has been 're-running' old American prigrammes for a while.but putting this on the main network in the evenings over Christmas?? The man has retired from radio, he's not even a jock anymore! This is just evidence that Smooth is being run down slowly. In fact 80 year old Kasem's only recent activity has been to voice the part of Shaggy in Scooby Doo.Tell you what Smooth. why do nt you just get the pop star Shaggy in to record a few links,you might as well seeing as with the Hit Factory Live concert tie up with Real Doris in Penge is going to be subjected to 2 Unlimited in concert on Smooth......:eek: .The Smooth brand is just being steadily eroded away.Donny Osmond, Casey Kasem. how long before Lynn Parsons is forced to speak with an American accent?. If Smooth can't or won't pay for one of their own presenters to knock out a few links, let alone do a live show .then radio really is in a very sorry state.

As you yourself note, it's old programmes that have been remastered. It's not new programmes from Casey. Although there's nothing wrong with having older DJs.

I'm not clear from your post what exactly you're against. Is it American voices on British radio? Is it old DJs? Is it old shows being remastered and re-broadcast? Is it DJs that haven't done any DJ work for a while? Is it DJs who are equally famous for voicing a cartoon character?

My best guess from your post is that you're really against American voices on British radio. Some of the greats of British radio have been American. Other greats have adopted an American style of broadcasting successfully. One of my favourite DJs of all time - Fluff - wasn't British: are you against all non-British voices? How about Terry Wogan - are Irish allowed?

The only voice I would ban from radio is the voice of Liza Tarbuck - but that's only because she's so bloody irritating. :D
  • BILLYonaireBILLYonaire Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I don't expect those who badmouth Casey to care but if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have the countdown format which several others have adopted to this very day. You could tune into nearly every station nowadays and hear DJs asking for listeners to vote for the top 5 at 5, the top 9 at 9, etc..

Long before Pop Up Video and the internet, Casey gave us fun trivia about each song he'd play. Listeners were inspired to write to the show, wanting to know certain things only their researchers could find out for them. One listener's letter even inspired a new segment, the long distance dedication. That was big, because AT40 is syndicated and otherwise, there would be no way for the subject of each dedication to hear them.

The best thing is that Casey never seemed to just read introductions from a sheet of paper. While some other DJs seem to tire over time, you can hear how Casey's excitement grew and that he took his job seriously.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I doubt there is a Doris in Penge listening considering the continual performance of Smooth in London, although I understand your point about the jarring crossover of the Hit Factory concert on Smooth.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    His show is more entertaining than many others out there

I agree with you 80sfan. I am more than happy with this decision. :)
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    I am sure that I would prefer to listen to Casey Casem than Lynn Parsons any flamin' day. ;)

I also love listening to The Emporer Rosco on the Mighty KBC 6095khz every weekend.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they are new versions, just bought in from originals.

http://www.smoothradio.co.uk/music/smooth-radio-70s/casey-kasems-american-top-40-the-70s/7a212
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calderjon wrote: »

Casey Casem - star of late night TV during my student days .He's the man !
  • BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand your point about the jarring crossover of the Hit Factory concert on Smooth.

Me too.

No-one would describe the SAW sound as "smooth". It's anti-soulful and hasn't worn well at all. Fits Real OK, but not Smooth.
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to let people know, on Smooth 70s in about an hour, there is a lovely, lovely show!

The DJ has an American voice!
    The DJ is now an old DJ!
    The show is old and has been remastered!
    The DJ hasn't done any DJ work for a while!
    The DJ is equally famous for voicing a cartoon character!

But it's a great show, well presented in an interesting style with some great music.
  • darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭