Options

thoughts on google nexus 7?

Comments

• Options
    SebastianJackSebastianJack Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    premixxed wrote: »
    Just got off support at Google, my Nexus 7 had no response, nothing.

I must say I was pessimistic, the tablet was dead.

All I can say is that the support was brilliant & the tablet is now working.

Don't know if you know but if your Nexus bricks, pressing both volume buttons and the start button at once forces a start.

I was at a loss, the tech support were so helpful & willing to send me a new Nexus if all failed.

I know I'm gushing but it's the first time I have encountered American customer service.

My Nexus is now marked & if I get any more problems a new one will be dispatched.
    10/10
    njp wrote: »
    Does that do a hard reset (i.e you lose data), or do you get to choose?

The most I've had to do (on a couple of occasions) was hold the power button down for what seems like rather a long time but is probably about 20 seconds. I discovered this for myself (after initially thinking the tablet had died), though I have since noticed that this is documented in the Nexus quick start guide (though they say "for at least 10 seconds").

Did you try that first?

Hi, njp...

"Does that do a hard reset (i.e you lose data)..."

No... not generally (only if you unlock the BOOTLOADER, which requires hooking up your tab to a PC, and also requires the Android SDK)...

Both volume keys and power button, ALL pressed simultaneously with the Nexus shutdown, BOOTS the tablet into FASTBOOT mode by running the BOOTLOADER.

Having done this, you get a series of menu options, navigable via the UP and DOWN volume keys & selectable via the POWERBUTTON.

Those option are: START>RESTART BOOTLOADER>RECOVERY MODE>POWER OFF.

Running the Nexus 7 in FASTBOOT mode is normally done for things like UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER (required to gain ROOT), flashing custom ROMS and/or RECOVERIES...

But also, as premixxed has discovered, it's a good way of making sure you still have a usable tablet. And with the first option being START, just pressing the power button will start (ie., boot) your device normally.

As long as the BOOTLOADER is still available, there's always a way in.

But as you say, njp... most of the time, if you have problems, a LONG PRESS on the power button (6 -10 seconds), will force powerdown the Nexus... and should boot normally thereafter.

Rgrds,
    SebJ.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Its not far off the 8GB Nexus and the Tab 2 7 in price.
    There can be a reason to go no name small battery etc cheap when there is a large differential.

Just realised that the 7 inch Scroll Evoke (at £109 or £119) looks at first sight of the specs like they've tried to clone several aspects of the Samsung Tab 2 7 inch. The size is about 4 mm different in length and width but the screen, memory, cameras, storage and connectivity etc. seem to be the same. Processor and some other things are different though.

Does anyone know of Li-polymer or Li-Ion batteries, which is better?
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    My Nexus has the film Ice Age on it. I didn't download it. I'm just wondering where it has come from, is it just a freebie? :confused:
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    My Nexus has the film Ice Age on it. I didn't download it. I'm just wondering where it has come from, is it just a freebie? :confused:

Yes it comes free with the tablet.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't get any free movies with my nexus 7. Is it only for people new to android?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No AFAIK all nexus 7s came with a film. (under Google movies)at launch it was transformers, now it's ice age.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone with a new nexus I'd recommend an app called Full Movies. I came across it the other day and it has some pretty descent films and TV shows on it.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Yes it comes free with the tablet.
    paulbrock wrote: »
    No AFAIK all nexus 7s came with a film. (under Google movies)at launch it was transformers, now it's ice age.

• Options
    SonickSonick Posts: 239
    Forum Member

Yep, Mine had it as well.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well I didn't get one with mine :(
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I had to download mine, it was Transformers 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps yours was previously owned?
  • Options
    GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Mine also has Ice Age but only when connected to wifi.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got 2 gmail (Google) accounts, both of which are years old. When I first set the tablet up in summer. It came with Transformers etc.

A recent software update allows Jelly Bean users to set up multiple users. With this I set up my other gmail account as a second user, and found that Ice Age shows up in that library.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geowitch wrote: »
    Mine also has Ice Age but only when connected to wifi.
    You can download it if you want. Tap the pin. Then it will be available for offline viewing.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that the nexus comes with store credit. Was that a promo that's now finished or was it a USA thing ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the nexus comes with store credit. Was that a promo that's now finished or was it a USA thing ?

Not sure if it is still going but you have to register a credit card with the Google store to get it.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »

Yeah it was a limited time launch offer. It finished at the end of September.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks bought December so well missed out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I thought I was getting a free £15 voucher too!

Didn't realise the offer expired months ago. Lol
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Neither did I :(

Step daughter surprised me yesterday, she popped up saying "This Ice Age, is it really free" while browsing on her new Nexus.

Not that I really care that much, the Nexus is for comics and gaming. I somehow prefer the ol' Playbook for video duties.
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got one for my wife for Xmas very impressed with it and it had the free Ice Age film.
  • Options
    cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got my Nexus yesterday!
    Have sideloaded the Amazon App Store as well - World of Goo is today's free app of the day (normally a couple of quid I think).
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »
    Finally got my Nexus yesterday!
    Have sideloaded the Amazon App Store as well - World of Goo is today's free app of the day (normally a couple of quid I think).

I am not sure what you mean that you are 'sideloading' amazon app store. There is no trickery involved, its a standard install you can trigger from amazon site.
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got one yesterday, quite like it so far. Didn't even realise Ice Age was on it so nice wee bonus.

Glad my itunes library seems to be working on it I was worried as I read somewhere that it may not.