BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The diffeence. Pleat contibutes to talk sport quite often

lordoz. I haveunderstand the induividuals having no problem work for 5 and ts. However the bbc should. They should not employ people who will work for their direct rival the very next day. No sane company would allow this practice.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commentary tonight on some yank game where meatheads run into each other for 3 hours.

I'd rather have the Bishop on :o
  • ulsterlistenerulsterlistener Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    listening last night ,god could it get any worse
    dotum, a total fool
    well he had a great musician/producer on from new york before his stupid juke box
    and his questions were
    where is the rangers bar in new york
    where is the chelsea bar in new york
    why in new york has the fast food places not got prices on their menus
    which veggie place would he recommend
    why did he never play with the fat larry band
    i swear these are true how on earth do you listen to this dribble.. ok ok if on the mainland you have lbc but we have talkshite or this dribble
    ok nurse im ready
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dotum, a total fool
    well he had a great musician/producer on from new york before his stupid juke box
    and his questions were
    i swear these are true how on earth do you listen to this dribble.. ok ok if on the mainland you have lbc but we have talkshite or this dribble
    ok nurse im ready

I feel for you if in Ulster as that means you mist get Nolan in the week as well! :eek::eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The diffeence. Pleat contibutes to talk sport quite often

lordoz. I haveunderstand the induividuals having no problem work for 5 and ts. However the bbc should. They should not employ people who will work for their direct rival the very next day. No sane company would allow this practice.

the thing is the BBC aren't entirely sane I don't understand for example and I have said this before so apologies but Alistair Campbell an odious individual paid by the state but unelected by anyone who virtually bought the entire BBC down...

he certainly bought management of the time down over David Kelly (which of course they were right about actually)

afterwards he doesn't only just get invited onto the radio occasionally they paid him to do a whole tv programme on depression....and still he appears......
    so the odd talking head with an opinion who have done nothing to them at all they hardly worry about.....:rolleyes:
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Commentary tonight on some yank game where meatheads run into each other for 3 hours.

I'd rather have the Bishop on :o

What an absolute waste of ruddy space. Stephen Nolan taken off-air to broadcast this uninteresting sporting event. Okay, he started an hour earlier but for what?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    What an absolute waste of ruddy space. Stephen Nolan taken off-air to broadcast this uninteresting sporting event. Okay, he started an hour earlier but for what?

3 hours of silence is better than Nolan.
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too right.
    Forum Member
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    Too right.

He's a better option than Anthony Davis which means that I did, indeed, have silence last night. :D
  • Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    it is just very poor production & editorial planning to squeeze them in...the today guests do get longer..I wouldn't expect it to follow a R4 format but the guests would still be on R4 for similar time a few more minutes in 5 live wouldn't affect it.....

with message boards shut now theres little avenues to suggest this to them really directly...it's not as if they don't do these shows every day you'd think they could work out rough timings by now.....

The Wake up to money thing really is disgraceful. I wake up to it every day, and morning after morning some poor soul only gets to squeeze an a few words as the music looms louder and louder. As you say, you really do hope the penny would have dropped by now, does no one in authority listen to the output?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a better option than Anthony Davis which means that I did, indeed, have silence last night. :D

hi Twinkle have you dipped out of the LBC fold for a bit? :)

I don't mind Anthony - he's far more enjoyable than Nolan for sure........

I don't think they do listen to their own output Ian if they did or checked these forums occasionally maybe there would be a change...

anyway last night when the American Football was on I switched to R4 which was well....ok i guess if a little dull but i did want to sleep and when I woke with it still on was much calmer than 5live for sure.....so can't comment on breakfast but it was nice to have a break from it anyway...
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dotum, a total fool
    and his questions were
    ok nurse im ready

I've just had to give up on this on Saturday nights/Sunday morning. It has become so inane and lazy to listen to. I think I gave it far too much of my time and enough is enough. There is a particular Virtual Jukebox thread I started months ago making constructive criticisms. Take a view at it. But it's not just the jukebox but the whole show nowadays. Nothing has changed in years now, with the same stale goings on week after week, chatter about nothing very much. Interesting subjects, like music, diminished into ignorant nonsense. A great shame, as these 4 shows of UAN later in the week and weekend could be, and SHOULD be so much better and creative.
  • Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the Guardian are reporting who is up for the job of controller at 5 Live.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/22/contenders-5-live-boss

They say the job spec includes this...

The job specification said the new controller must provide "creative and editorial leadership" for 5 Live, to create "distinctive programming delivering compelling content".

Hopefully that means a better late night show. Last night Livesey had some woman singing text messages! I don't think I have hit the off button faster in my life! Rubbish!
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    I see the Guardian are reporting who is up for the job of controller at 5 Live.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/22/contenders-5-live-boss

They say the job spec includes this...

The job specification said the new controller must provide "creative and editorial leadership" for 5 Live, to create "distinctive programming delivering compelling content".

Hopefully that means a better late night show. Last night Livesey had some woman singing text messages! I don't think I have hit the off button faster in my life! Rubbish!

So, I'm the new boss of 5 Live. I've just appointed you as the new editor of 5 Live night times. (the editor jobs are split up as Breakfast, Daytimes, Drive, sport, and night times)

You look after the airtime between 2230-0500 (from 2200 Fri-Sun).

We are having a quick chat a week after your appointment. "So, Black Crow, what are you doing to refresh the late show? What are your top 3 ideas?"

Well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, I'm the new boss of 5 Live. I've just appointed you as the new editor of 5 Live night times. (the editor jobs are split up as Breakfast, Daytimes, Drive, sport, and night times)

You look after the airtime between 2230-0500 (from 2200 Fri-Sun).

We are having a quick chat a week after your appointment. "So, Black Crow, what are you doing to refresh the late show? What are your top 3 ideas?"

Well?

I'm not a producer or editor so I wouldn't know where to start. From a listeners point of view I just know that the show as it is too juvenile for me. There have been too many features on there that are more suited to a commercial radio breakfast show than on the BBC's news and sport station. I much preferred it when Fi Glover , Nick Robinson or even Anita Armand presented it.

I want to know what's making the headlines that day and the next , I couldn't give a monkey's what 'somebody from somwhere' has been doing sung to the tune of a song from Pirates of Penzance!

I know it needs to be more lightweight at that time of the day, but there's too much prattle and not enough actually telling the story of the day.

In a perfect world I would bring the template from what the afternoon show used to be like with Simon Mayo, oh and bring Simon Mayo too!
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't there due to be cutbacks to production staff on the overnight shows? So I can't imagine there being any increases in 'content' any time soon.

I'd be inclined to reshuffle the late/early slots. As we've had an evening of sport, have a half hour news briefing 2230-2300, including a finance slot. Then 2300-0200 for a phone in/magazine, probably closer in content to what Nolan does at the weekend. 0200-0530 for Up All Night, much as now but most definitely without Dotun.

So roughly the same shows but not necessarily in the same order..... Probably some problems with this that I haven't seen, perhaps the interaction with local radio overnight.

While I'm at it, a proper slot please for the Non League Football Show. Give it an hour on Sunday nights at 9pm.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^
    5 Live used to have a late evening news and finance programme and Up All Night used to start at 2am. I believe both the scrapping of the late evening news and finance programme and UAN being extended by an hour with a 1am start time were done to save money.
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    ^
    I believe both the scrapping of the late evening news and finance programme were done to save money.

I'm sure there must be a smart comment I can make with the scrapping of the finance program to save money :D

Can't think of one tho'......
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I'm not a producer or editor so I wouldn't know where to start. From a listeners point of view I just know that the show as it is too juvenile for me. There have been too many features on there that are more suited to a commercial radio breakfast show than on the BBC's news and sport station. I much preferred it when Fi Glover , Nick Robinson or even Anita Armand presented it.

I want to know what's making the headlines that day and the next , I couldn't give a monkey's what 'somebody from somwhere' has been doing sung to the tune of a song from Pirates of Penzance!

I know it needs to be more lightweight at that time of the day, but there's too much prattle and not enough actually telling the story of the day.

In a perfect world I would bring the template from what the afternoon show used to be like with Simon Mayo, oh and bring Simon Mayo too!

All fair points, but the reality is that you're actually suggesting repeating much of the daytime content when it comes to news. Hardly anyone of any note in the UK would be willing to do a live interview on UK stories at 3am for free. The US is, naturally, slightly different. As for previewing stories, again, there's simply a dearth of available audio because of the way newsgathering as a whole works in the UK. It's not just a BBC thing. Morning Reports - the closest thing you'll get to an all news show off peak - is assembled by a tiny team.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish someone had told Adebayo after the NFL commentary on Sunday night that it wasn't the "Superbowl" so that he didn't keep referring to it as such.
    Forum Member
    franchise wrote: »
    I wish someone had told Adebayo after the NFL commentary on Sunday night that it wasn't the "Superbowl" so that he didn't keep referring to it as such.

I wish that someone had said to Tony Livesey last night that enough football talk was enough. Sadly they didn't. Not everyone is a Bradford or Villa fan, in fact some of us loathe football.

Some of us want something interesting to listen to but we were ignored. Oh well, I suppose that a reading from a passage of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on R4 was something to be thankful for, a darned sight better than the much repeated opinions of the football fraternity, whichever team they supported.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All fair points, but the reality is that you're actually suggesting repeating much of the daytime content when it comes to news. Hardly anyone of any note in the UK would be willing to do a live interview on UK stories at 3am for free. The US is, naturally, slightly different. As for previewing stories, again, there's simply a dearth of available audio because of the way newsgathering as a whole works in the UK. It's not just a BBC thing. Morning Reports - the closest thing you'll get to an all news show off peak - is assembled by a tiny team.

I'm not sure what the reference to 3am has to do what I was talking about which was the poor content of the late show presented by Tony Livesey. I'm fast asleep usually by 1am, so can't pass opinion on what happens after that. With regards the previewing I meant looking at how the stories are being handled by the press not looking forward to the next day

And what is wrong with repeating news content from during the day in that slot? I'm sure there will be people that hasn't heard some or most of it before. Persoanlly I very rarely have the radio on after 30/45 minutes at breakfast, so a late night round up of what has happened would be a good thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish that someone had said to Tony Livesey last night that enough football talk was enough. Sadly they didn't. Not everyone is a Bradford or Villa fan, in fact some of us loathe football.

Some of us want something interesting to listen to but we were ignored. Oh well, I suppose that a reading from a passage of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie on R4 was something to be thankful for, a darned sight better than the much repeated opinions of the football fraternity, whichever team they supported.

unfortunately that's pretty much what you 'll get with 5live Twinkle, despite all the promises after the Olympics to feature more sports (which I never believed) it's soccer centric......& presumably tonight will be another dreary mid week team talk so best avoided as its not teams from other sports it's football over and over spliced with a stupid quiz for the pundits inbetween :(

black crow you're right _ there plenty of opportunity for more in-depth articles on the late evening livesey shift in fact could even be smaller stories to bring up as they have time to do it...

on the upside breakfast yesterday not squeezed in interviews....May be they are listening? now if they can just get the switch over to start AFTER 7:00 instead of dipping in before unannounced we' 're getting somewhere......
    it might be fine for the guest in the studio who knows who's sat down & started talking to them part way through but for the interviewee on phone but especially the listener it's really disconcerting.... :(
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure what the reference to 3am has to do what I was talking about which was the poor content of the late show presented by Tony Livesey. I'm fast asleep usually by 1am, so can't pass opinion on what happens after that. With regards the previewing I meant looking at how the stories are being handled by the press not looking forward to the next day

And what is wrong with repeating news content from during the day in that slot? I'm sure there will be people that hasn't heard some or most of it before. Persoanlly I very rarely have the radio on after 30/45 minutes at breakfast, so a late night round up of what has happened would be a good thing.

Sorry, missed your reference to the Livesey slot in the wider debate. Again, getting a "new" line out of the day's news - even at 10pm - is pretty tough unless you have the kind of planning resources and bidding power of, say, Newsnight. Yes, you could go all Sky News and make an hour - or even two - out of the next day's papers with some pundits. Not a bad call.

And I wasn't suggesting that repeating daytime content was a bad thing - just setting out the reality of what can be achieved in an off peak show with a limited budget.

Maybe a more radical idea would be to outsource the late show to an Indy? A broad speech/news remit to reflect the day's big stories.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

I agree, Mayo only left because of the Salford move and as we know they Mayo exceptions for a certain female presenter who thinks she is bigger than the station.

I also miss the gabby cabbie on Up all Night, don't know why he got the push. The World footie phone in is good even though I'm not a big footie fan.

Dotun is OK when he's not trying to be funny.
This discussion has been closed.