Options

Atlantis - Series 1 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Comments

• Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    This is actually a very bitchy thread. I'm going to continue discussing things with the friendly bunch on the Merlin thread. Goodbye.

Indeed. There are some very tiresome people on here for whom it is not enough not to like the show themselves; they are determined others shouldn't like it, either. And if one has the temerity to disagree, then one is "thick" or has "no critical faculties" or is "shallow" - any insult they can throw, in fact, to try and justify their own position. Like it matters.

Do I think Atlantis was marvellous telly? No. But I daresay it's no better or worse than Merlin or Robin Hood. It's easy on the eye; it's amusing (sometimes unintentionally so); and it entertains (well, it did me). To take it any more seriously than that is absurd. I mean, I'm a huge Doctor Who fan. But, essentially, even Who is a bit of entertaining rubbish to pass the time. Just like 99% of most telly.
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything the dynamic of the show is closer to the utterly turgid Robin Hood.

You have the hero with the hapless, but well meaning sidekick:Jason/Pythagoras and Robin/Much
    The non-so bright, but strong comedy guy: Hercules/Little John

You have the two baddies in the castle: The royal couple/Guy+Sheriff
    You have the female love interest trapped in the castle by her circumstances, but will help the 'boys' out when she can: Ariadne/Marian

Seems people writing for the BBC on a Saturday night for this slot have some kind of manual for writing hackneyed setups seen time and time again.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    If anything the dynamic of the show is closer to the utterly turgid Robin Hood.

You have the hero with the hapless, but well meaning sidekick:Jason/Pythagoras and Robin/Much
    The non-so bright, but strong comedy guy: Hercules/Little John
    I don't know if Pythagoras would be described as 'hapless', certainly not in the way that Much was. And John wasn't especially played for laughs in Hood, nor did he ever come across as particularly unintelligent.
    You have the female love interest trapped in the castle by her circumstances, but will help the 'boys' out when she can: Ariadne/Marian
    But Marian (and subsequently Kate) were both pretty hands on in the action department. Even when the series started, it was established that Marian had been masquerading as some vigilante ninja type hero.

Atlantis is much closer to Merlin's model, with the female characters only there to make up the numbers (or be pantomime villains).
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caught up with this show last night. Jesus, it has to be worst of any recent BBC Saturday night show. It lurched from one bog standard well used line to another.
    And its got the butcher from Skys`' 'Trollied' in it. Good gawd!

Very predictable and weak. Maybe it will improve.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Indeed. There are some very tiresome people on here for whom it is not enough not to like the show themselves; they are determined others shouldn't like it, either. And if one has the temerity to disagree, then one is "thick" or has "no critical faculties" or is "shallow" - any insult they can throw, in fact, to try and justify their own position. Like it matters.

I'd suggest that it's the pro crowd who have been first to start with the insults.

As you say they are all just opinions so why get so snarky. ?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    Seems people writing for the BBC on a Saturday night for this slot have some kind of manual for writing hackneyed setups seen time and time again.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tv/pitching-ideas/ideas-from-the-public.shtml

Go on then. Put your money where your mouth is. You and the rest of the moaners on here :mad:
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tv/pitching-ideas/ideas-from-the-public.shtml

Go on then. Put your money where your mouth is. You and the rest of the moaners on here :mad:

I'm sure many people have submitted fresh ideas to them over the years and they've decided to just recycle the same stuff over and over in this time slot.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It isn't about any of us having a go. Its about the BBC being brave enough to doing something that isn't formulaic and 'safe'. Whether that be one of us, or one of the very many great writers out there.

To be honest, I'm not sure why they don't.

Dr Who - while I'm not a massive fan - does well. Is sold around the world.

Torchwood, though the USA treatment didn't work fantastically in Miracle day it still had something special and did OK commercially.There were flaws with season 1 & 2 but was successful and then there is the amazing Children of Earth.

Sara Jane adventures - Not watched it myself but very well received by children and adults alike.

The Fades - Bafta winning IIRC. Critically acclaimed. Should never have been dropped.

Being Human - exported to the USA both the original and the concept.

In the flesh - critically well received and loved by the audience.

Mongrels -OK, this is very adult:D But when the Beeb gets it right, they get Mongrels:D

ALL BBC commissioned.

Seems they can take a risk at any time except Saturday Tea time. Though 8:30 is past their core audience time for Atlantis.

With the amount of talent out there (not touched on anything non-cult/non-sci-fi or on any channel other than BBC and there is so much great talent out there) Why have they stuck with Capps and Murphy? They produced some popular but ultimately heavily criticised for the ending an the portrayal of women.

My suggestion - a season of one offs like Channel 4 and Sky do sometimes (Sky's Playhouse was fantastic) and get some disparate writers in.

I would LOVE to see what Julia Davis could do for a Saturday night:D Nighty Night was great but Hunderby was exquisite:D I could see her doing Cornish or Welsh Mythology :D

Edit: Or Jimmy McGoverns's take on Norse Mythology:D
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was confused as to why he turned up naked. I assumed it was to ensure that he wasn't wearing modern clothes:o

I assume that once he arrived there he automatically spoke their language.:)

He's very good a somersaults and landing avoiding pain when he lands on sharp rocks.;)

It's not silly at all. :p
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was confused as to why he turned up naked. I assumed it was to ensure that he wasn't wearing modern clothes:o

He's very good a somersaults and landing avoiding pain when he lands on sharp rocks.;)

There was a sword there all the time even though they don't allow them to go in there armed. . If the minator was so keen to die he could have fell on it himself.

I don't understand why they allowed them torches.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    I'd suggest that it's the pro crowd who have been first to start with the insults.

As you say they are all just opinions so why get so snarky. ?

Merely following the example of my predecessors in this thread, I guess...
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I suppose its for the same reason the Terminator turns up naked, though the necklace came through too - though this was of Atlantean origin so maybe thats why its allowed.
    He was born there so perhaps he could remember it? Or maybe English is spoken across parallel worlds like it is in the original Star Trek
    Maybe Atlanteans are natural athletetes? The Minoans were certainly very good at it - Bull leaper - though I expect Jason will turn out to be a demigod of somesort.

There was a sword there all the time even though they don't allow them to go in there armed. . If the minator was so keen to die he could have fell on it himself.
    Killing yourself is a big no-no in many cultures. Also he was mainly animal - they don't tend to commit suicide either.
    I don't understand why they allowed them torches.
    So the Minator could easily find them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No clothes - gratutious shirtlessness

Language - this is always something glossed over in sci-fi, some explain it better than others but yes if I arrived in a strange world and everyone spoke English I'd be shocked and if I could speak the native tongue I'd also be shocked.

Somersaults - This along with the transport to a new world from the modern time is all very John Carter-esque.

I agree with all the points StressMonkey made and particularly the one regarding female characters. Society as a whole stereotypes men and women enough without license fees contributing to it further. Robin Hood was an exception since Marion was also a vigilante of sorts but Merlin was terrible in its portrayal of the women. Morgana was the over the top evil villain and Gwen was dull as dishwater and reliant on men for much of the series.

The males are always the muscular macho heroes or if skinny uber-intelligent. The women are either personality-less damsels who need rescuing or manipulative and evil. I actually loved Morgana but as an adult I could understand her point of view but for children I'm sure she just appeared as the "baddie". I saw people bashed Xena here but that show definitely had two female leads who were tough and independent but still had personality and likability, it also didn't descend into man bashing either as many of the males had diverse characteristics and qualities.

So yes as a family show I think they've a responsibility to have characters that break away from traditional gender roles.
  • Options
    EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know its not your fault. It's just that you're not watching it in the right way, bless you. You see what you have to do is approach it properly.
    You have to turn your brain off and tell yourself 'I'm going to really enjoy this', then sit down, turn off all critical faculties, and remember that it's 'just a bit of harmless fun'. That's all that matters and what renders it immune from criticism and makes it good.

I'm glad to be of help, but remember that you have to watch it like this because you have no business watching it again if you don't, and you yourself will be up for critique for watching it..
    *must try harder* ... it's so hard to turn off my critical faculties ... I think what this really needs for me to enjoy it is a drinking game & a thread dedicated to the unintentional hilarity of it all! ... but l don't think it's even going to be so bad it's good, so that's out! x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No clothes - gratutious shirtlessness

Language - this is always something glossed over in sci-fi, some explain it better than others but yes if I arrived in a strange world and everyone spoke English I'd be shocked and if I could speak the native tongue I'd also be shocked.

Somersaults - This along with the transport to a new world from the modern time is all very John Carter-esque.

I agree with all the points StressMonkey made and particularly the one regarding female characters. Society as a whole stereotypes men and women enough without license fees contributing to it further. Robin Hood was an exception since Marion was also a vigilante of sorts but Merlin was terrible in its portrayal of the women. Morgana was the over the top evil villain and Gwen was dull as dishwater and reliant on men for much of the series.

The males are always the muscular macho heroes or if skinny uber-intelligent. The women are either personality-less damsels who need rescuing or manipulative and evil. I actually loved Morgana but as an adult I could understand her point of view but for children I'm sure she just appeared as the "baddie". I saw people bashed Xena here but that show definitely had two female leads who were tough and independent but still had personality and likability, it also didn't descend into man bashing either as many of the males had diverse characteristics and qualities.

So yes as a family show I think they've a responsibility to have characters that break away from traditional gender roles.
    Didn't Primeval do quite an amusing one where they turned up in an 'early human settlement' only to discover it was really a theme park in the present day?

... I don't think the "English" thing bothers me so much in Atlantis ... however poorly it's been incorporated into the show (and it was poor exposition) Jason has said that lots of Atlantis seems familiar to him so the writers are just completely avoiding question of anything feeling odd to Jason including the language ... of course, usually the reason for having a modern day character enter a strange world is so that we can empathise with their reactions, and they can ask all the questions we'd ask ... maybe the writers are avoiding the cliché ... however useful a tool it usually is!
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why people are still making the same point about language. Of course its unrealistic that you would be able to converse with people from an ancient civilisation in modern day English but the programme couldn't spend several episodes with the hero attending language school and having subtitles for conversations!!!! It needs to progress quickly so that he is integrated into their society. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Fish out of water programs. Can be good and thought provoking (Life on Mars). Can be good fun (Watt on Earth). Can be silly, fun-filled romps (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy). Can be a mish mash mess of half baked ideas and acting right out of Jewsons timber yard..... Yes, that is Atlantis.

This is supposed to be a pilot if you will. To grab the viewer and make them go "Mmmmmm. I wonder what that was all about? How will this unfold?" So far this seems to have made people go "Mmmmmmm. Nice pecs!" or "Mmmmmm. I think I'll turn over and watch a repeat of 'Britains Funniest Tooth Extractions'"

This is BBC going "Watch the shiney-shiney!" and hoping that no-one notices the huge plot-holes, the recycled stories and the vacant by-the-numbers acting. The writers have obviously put in little effort and have decided they can earn their money by taking the basic premise of Greek legends, drafting them onto a rejected script from Merlin and crossed out "Arthur" et al and added in "Jason", "Pythagorus" and "Hercules". Money for nothing and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

So far they have wasted the story of the Minotaur with a laughable 5 minutes of wondering around Wookey Hole before accidentally creating the largest beef kebab outside of Glasgow. We have Morgana v2 glowering on the sidelines, a vacuous Princess, an insipid lead, Pythagoras channeling Mr Bean and Mark Addy playing himself. Hercules - The comic relief. Why? Why can't they just be people who are sometimes funny? Sometimes insightful? Sometimes heroic? But no. We get a legend reduced to the cowardly Lion.

People say it's a fantasy so that it doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense, that that people don't behave believeably. What a load of rubbish. This is Jason, bought up in 21st century England, taken from Atlantis as a baby and yet remembers the place and speaks the language. Give some grounding in reality for gods sake! At least create something to explain rather than have Jason moodily staring out to sea before 5 minutes later announcing to the world, "Oh yes. I always felt I didn't belong. Honest!" Show us that, don't just tell us.

I hope it gets better but as an episode to entice and intrigue it failed. The same "prophecies" as Merlin (which turned out to be rubbish as the writers forgot/couldn't be bothered to tie everything up. Oh well, at least enough of the audience will be distracted by the shiny-shiny while the rest wait for half-decent Saturday evening entertainment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I can't understand why people are still making the same point about language. Of course its unrealistic that you would be able to converse with people from an ancient civilisation in modern day English but the programme couldn't spend several episodes with the hero attending language school and having subtitles for conversations!!!! It needs to progress quickly so that he is integrated into their society. :D

All it would take would be one line of him being shocked at his ability to communicate with them for us to believe that somehow he can speak with them due to the way he was transported or whatever. One line of dialogue that a character says to themselves, thats it.

For example in Avatar we are quickly brought up to speed on how the guy controlling the Avatar can easily communicate with the natives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fish out of water programs. Can be good and thought provoking (Life on Mars). Can be good fun (Watt on Earth). Can be silly, fun-filled romps (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy). Can be a mish mash mess of half baked ideas and acting right out of Jewsons timber yard..... Yes, that is Atlantis.

This is supposed to be a pilot if you will. To grab the viewer and make them go "Mmmmmm. I wonder what that was all about? How will this unfold?" So far this seems to have made people go "Mmmmmmm. Nice pecs!" or "Mmmmmm. I think I'll turn over and watch a repeat of 'Britains Funniest Tooth Extractions'"

This is BBC going "Watch the shiney-shiney!" and hoping that no-one notices the huge plot-holes, the recycled stories and the vacant by-the-numbers acting. The writers have obviously put in little effort and have decided they can earn their money by taking the basic premise of Greek legends, drafting them onto a rejected script from Merlin and crossed out "Arthur" et al and added in "Jason", "Pythagorus" and "Hercules". Money for nothing and they are laughing all the way to the bank.

So far they have wasted the story of the Minotaur with a laughable 5 minutes of wondering around Wookey Hole before accidentally creating the largest beef kebab outside of Glasgow. We have Morgana v2 glowering on the sidelines, a vacuous Princess, an insipid lead, Pythagoras channeling Mr Bean and Mark Addy playing himself. Hercules - The comic relief. Why? Why can't they just be people who are sometimes funny? Sometimes insightful? Sometimes heroic? But no. We get a legend reduced to the cowardly Lion.

People say it's a fantasy so that it doesn't matter that it doesn't make sense, that that people don't behave believeably. What a load of rubbish. This is Jason, bought up in 21st century England, taken from Atlantis as a baby and yet remembers the place and speaks the language. Give some grounding in reality for gods sake! At least create something to explain rather than have Jason moodily staring out to sea before 5 minutes later announcing to the world, "Oh yes. I always felt I didn't belong. Honest!" Show us that, don't just tell us.

I hope it gets better but as an episode to entice and intrigue it failed. The same "prophecies" as Merlin (which turned out to be rubbish as the writers forgot/couldn't be bothered to tie everything up. Oh well, at least enough of the audience will be distracted by the shiny-shiny while the rest wait for half-decent Saturday evening entertainment.
    ... absolutely! ... that's pretty much sums up the whole problem I have with this show ... for characters and situations to be believable they have to show us that they are believable!

Welcome to Digital Spy BTW! ... fab first post! x
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EmmaGx wrote: »
    *must try harder* ... it's so hard to turn off my critical faculties ... I think what this really needs for me to enjoy it is a drinking game & a thread dedicated to the unintentional hilarity of it all! ... but l don't think it's even going to be so bad it's good, so that's out! x

I wasn't being serious you know?:D
    Actually I agree with most of what you're saying.

My point was that just because someone likes a TV show for their own reasons, they shouldn't force their own criteria of how you should approach watching a TV programme onto other people.
    We're all different and different things are going to satisfy different people.

I'm of the opinion that programme makers have to try a bit harder than just throwing generic tropes at us, even if it's for a Saturday night and they believe that the masses will love it because it's so familiar therefore it's okay to play safe and dumb things down.
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    - Why was he naked when he first reawaoke
    It's a known fact (a Cambridge professor told me this) that fish and man from ancient times (as well as mythological lore) have amazing parties (sometimes referred to as "salties"). And things happen during these parties. Heck, there was a time when I woke up naked in a ..... well let's not go there but the crab smiled for days. :D

- Why was he not more jumpy about being in a strange place (and no, even if you "feel at home" that doesn't mean you shouldn't be in greater shock
    He was still in shock from the fish party. Everything will seem normal after that - even a Minotaur.

- The princess suddenly is attracted to Jason? Give me a break...
    He was eating breath mints. All princesses swoon over a man who smells of breath mints.

- The princess decides to help Jason rather than all the people before him
    The other people were fricking bastards. Plain and simple.

- Jason's actor is poor. Couldn't give a shit about Jason. Want to know more about Pythagoras
    I wanted to know more about the chickens in the market. They had more personality than Jason.

- Why does Pythagoras decide to help Jason so much??
    I have to admit that is weird. Afterall, Jason is a square and pythagoras loves triangles. I'm stumped.

- Why don't they jump back in the entrance of the Labrinyth?
    These people are not rocket scientists. Jason said so himself when he blurted out to the others "You guys are morons!"

- A guy 10 minutes earlier so useless with sword suddenly kills a minotaur with a sword that happens to be just lying there.
    It was one of those "blink and you'll miss it moments". Hercules old pal Iolaus was hiding in the cave and threw the sword onto the ground. The sword was meant for Hercules but Jason happened to be there first. It's good to have friends. Thanks Iolaus.

If you want to be an idiot go do it somewhere else. The episode was poor in my eyes and I gave reasons for it. Merlin had plot holes but the camaraderie between Arthur and Merlin was there to see. If you actually have valid points as to why you think the episode was good for you, then by all means share it, but don't act like a moron.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure many people have submitted fresh ideas to them over the years and they've decided to just recycle the same stuff over and over in this time slot.
    You can be as sure as you like. Doesn't mean you're right.

I'm sure you're wrong :)
    It isn't about any of us having a go. Its about the BBC being brave enough to doing something that isn't formulaic and 'safe'.
    Which they do. But not to the exclusion of everything else.
    Seems they can take a risk at any time except Saturday Tea time.
    Exactly.

This is different enough to Merlin for most people.
    This is supposed to be a pilot if you will. To grab the viewer and make them go "Mmmmmm. I wonder what that was all about? How will this unfold?"
    That was my reaction.
    So far this seems to have made people go "Mmmmmmm. Nice pecs!" or "Mmmmmm. I think I'll turn over and watch a repeat of 'Britains Funniest Tooth Extractions'"
    I think far more have been in the former campt.
    This is BBC going "Watch the shiney-shiney!" and hoping that no-one notices the huge plot-holes, the recycled stories and the vacant by-the-numbers acting.
    No. It's the BBC going "here's another Saturday evening Family show, which is continuing the tradition; we've done it for decades.
    The writers have obviously put in little effort and have decided they can earn their money by taking the basic premise of Greek legends, drafting them onto a rejected script from Merlin and crossed out "Arthur" et al and added in "Jason", "Pythagorus" and "Hercules". Money for nothing and they are laughing all the way to the bank.
    Wow! Are you as dismissive of other creative arts? I hope not :rolleyes:
    So far they have wasted the story of the Minotaur with a laughable 5 minutes of wondering around Wookey Hole before accidentally creating the largest beef kebab outside of Glasgow.
    I know nothing of Greek myths and therefore nothing of the Minotor as, I suspect, a lot of the viewers haven't. So what? Again, this is neither a documentary or a re-telling of the myths of Atlantis. It's a family drama based around the ideas of the myth.
    We have Morgana v2 glowering on the sidelines, a vacuous Princess,
    It's EPISODE ONE. How do you know she remains so? :rolleyes:
    Hercules - The comic relief. Why?
    To play against the idea of the 'hero' of the myths? Maybe be becomes said hero eventually? I don't know and neither do you. But I'm not the one prejudging the entire 13 episodes, nor seasons 2+ if they get that far.
    Why can't they just be people who are sometimes funny? Sometimes insightful? Sometimes heroic? But no. We get a legend reduced to the cowardly Lion.
    So you've seen the other 12 eps then? :confused:

CBA to formulate responses to the rest of your post. Suffice it to say that you too should follow the link my earlier email if you think you can do any better.

Those that can, do; those that can't become critics.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beatrice39 wrote: »
    If you want to be an idiot go do it somewhere else. The episode was poor in my eyes and I gave reasons for it. Merlin had plot holes but the camaraderie between Arthur and Merlin was there to see. If you actually have valid points as to why you think the episode was good for you, then by all means share it, but don't act like a moron.

Number 1 You are very rude.

Number 2 I think Inky was agreeing with you which makes your rudeness embarrassing as well as shocking.
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    Number 1 You are very rude.

Number 2 I think Inky was agreeing with you which makes your rudeness embarrassing as well as shocking.

I gave valid points without making comments about other peoples opinions of the show. He then just replied in a sarcastic tone as if I am an idiot and my views are not valid.

And I don't care if I was rude to this person. I find it rude when someone replies to you as if your opinion is worthless without any evidence to support the claim.

So number 1:
    Calling someone an idiot is not rude if that person is mocking your opinions as a joke.

Number 2:
    Don't get involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    beatrice39 wrote: »
    Number 2:
    Don't get involved.
    If you don't want your posts commented on, stop posting in a public forum.