Agoraphobia caused by family members.

hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
Forum Member
I think this is a reason for becoming Agoraphobic.
You have people in your family that grind you down so much that you don't want to leave the house..
I think that is the cause of Agoraphobia.
You are not born with it,
I think Agoraphobia is something that happens to people when they have came across so many people in life that they choose to just shut down.
Every Agoraphobic wants to just open the door and walk out.
The more I read about Agoraphobia....the more I realise its caused by people making people agoraphobic.

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agrophobia isn't caused by people. Like any fear, it can be triggered by any number of things. My mum suffered from it for over 10 years back when I was little. It's a terrible thing to have and I'm lucky she managed to get over it.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought Agoraphobics sought sanctuary from the outside by staying indoors, i.e. the bad vibes were outside, and safety and solace was found indoors.

The OP says the bad vibes come from the people they live with, so developing agoraphobia is a really bad and counter productive way to deal with it.

Just an observation.
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I infer the OP is talking about his/herself...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you even have any clue about what Agoraphobia actually is?
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically every Agoraphobic wants to just close the door & stay in...
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Agrophobia isn't caused by people. Like any fear, it can be triggered by any number of things. My mum suffered from it for over 10 years back when I was little. It's a terrible thing to have and I'm lucky she managed to get over it.

Believe me....Agoraphobia is caused by people and life and circumstances.
    You don't just suddenly be cured of it after 10 years.
    That's like saying you have had OCS for 10 years and are cured.
    I think Agoraphobia is a shutdown.
    If you don't want to leave your house there must be a very strong reason.
    Forum Member
    Zora wrote: »
    Do you even have any clue about what Agoraphobia actually is?

I do.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds more like Social Phobia.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have people in your family that grind you down so much that you don't want to leave the house..
    I think Agoraphobia is something that happens to people when they have came across so many people in life that they choose to just shut down.
    The more I read about Agoraphobia....the more I realise its caused by people making people agoraphobic.

It could be for one persons case it most certianly wont be for everyones. Many people become agoraphobic ( and there are different levels of severity ranging from avoiding places to being completely housebound not every agoraphobic is housebound ) after suffering from serious panic attacks and panic attacks and general panic disorder can be due to any number of reasons.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It can be caused by people.

Mine started when someone threatened to glass me because I looked at him wrongly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    This sounds more like Social Phobia.

I prefer the term agoraphobia to social phobia, because the original meaning of agoraphobia was 'fear of the market place' which is more apt than social phobia, as it is not necessarily social situations nor open spaces, but more interactions in 'market' type places where everyone is out for themselves.
    Forum Member
    I firmly agree that Agoraphobia is a problem caused by people you come across in life..
    Nobody is born with Agoraphobia.
    Its something you are prone to.
    I think its something that happens to you in life when you have came across so much shit in life that something tells you to shut down.
    You decide home is safe and you just don't want to go out.
    You DO want to go out....the willing is there....the wanting to....no.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

I have had it all my life I don't like to be around other people and hate going out and only really do because I'm the only one who can

But even as a kid I hated it if I was made to go and play outside in the garden I used to go and sit in the shed (I'm talking 4-5 years old)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do.

So why do you think it involves wanting to go outside? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Zora wrote: »
    So why do you think it involves wanting to go outside? :confused:

Don't get all deep and mystical.
    Its just the fact that life circumstances and people you come across in life steer you down the path that you just decide its easier to just stay indoors.
    No criticism....no fault....no blame....just stay indoors.
    That's why I think some people become agoraphobic......through circumstance and because of family/partners.
    When you get people in life criticizing and putting down....the safe place to go is into your little shell.
    The more the criticism....the more you retreat...then the bigger agoraphobia grows.
    That's why I think Agoraphobia is caused by family members.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can be caused by people.

Mine started when someone threatened to glass me because I looked at him wrongly.

Yeah i'll give you that, i did contradict myself slightly in my post because I did say it can be triggered by any number of things. The OP seems absolutely adamant that it's caused solely by people though and it really isn't.
    Believe me....Agoraphobia is caused by people and life and circumstances.
    You don't just suddenly be cured of it after 10 years.
    That's like saying you have had OCS for 10 years and are cured.
    I think Agoraphobia is a shutdown.
    If you don't want to leave your house there must be a very strong reason.

My mum wasn't "suddenly" cured of it. She fought like hell to overcome it and had lots of help from lots of people, family included. Even getting to the end of the garden path was a huge achievement for her.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Inside every agoraphobic there's a person wanting to get out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Inside every agoraphobic there's a person wanting to get out.

Ah well, i'm sure you thought that was funny .. when would you like the 'ba-doom TISH' ? ;)
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me my inability to go out is a result of a cascade of issues and bad coping techniques .

For example in my early days I couldnt go anywhere as my OCD wouldnt allow me to convince my self that the front door was locked then I would just manage that then take a few steps and then panic that I had left the iron on .. I could then go place the iron in the middle of the back garden go through the whole locking the door thing again only to panic again that the iron was still om, even thou i know its in the garden and that I have a picture of that fact on my phone ....the brains a lovely thing aint it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Other people - however unpleasant - have no control over your own ability to interact.

Shutting off may well seem like a wonderful alternative for many people loathing rush hours and busy streets or shops.

The inability to handle that could come from a thousand small reasons but you will always be the only person who can control how you react.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I firmly agree that Agoraphobia is a problem caused by people you come across in life..
    Its something you are prone to.
    I think its something that happens to you in life when you have came across so much shit in life that something tells you to shut down.
    You decide home is safe and you just don't want to go out.
    You DO want to go out....the willing is there....the wanting to....no.

I've had it and still have it mildly, (extreme distress at visiting lots of places and unfamiliar places, though not housebound), and I agree with you, for most sufferers, (there's exceptions to every rule).

In some cases, like mine, it is more fear of leaving your room. People you live with are also scary, but less so as you know how they tick so feel a certain amount of control.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah i'll give you that, i did contradict myself slightly in my post because I did say it can be triggered by any number of things. The OP seems absolutely adamant that it's caused solely by people though and it really isn't.

I was going to say that it can also happen because of nature, such as an animal attack or storm etc.
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    Interesting thread, I agree this could be the cause for some people. But I also think it has a lot to do with traumas we experience through life & how we react to them!
    I always thought Agoraphobics sought sanctuary from the outside by staying indoors, i.e. the bad vibes were outside, and safety and solace was found indoors.

The OP says the bad vibes come from the people they live with, so developing agoraphobia is a really bad and counter productive way to deal with it.

Just an observation.
    & a good one!
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    My Aunty developed agoraphobia as a consequence 20 years of taking care of her housebound husband who had unfortunately suffered a stroke at a young age
    In the early days if my aunty popped out from time to time to chat with her friend just over the road~on her return ~ she would find him in a panic stood in the porch~clearly distressed because she was not in the house

This made her feel upset and guilty for causing him such distress~ so she avoided going out

After many more years of this and the added exhaustion of taking care of his increasing needs he died

After all this she was never able to go out as she used to
    despite having many offers from family members to take her to nice places. Just the suggestion made her feel unsettled .

If it was something essential or dearly wanted ~ she would muster up the ability to go somewhere ~for as brief a time as possible

She loved to look a distant views~but I think her confidence went during those 20 odd years being a housebound carer.:(

In her youth she would stamp her feet if she was ever stopped from going out to the many places she wanted to go to
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Ah well, i'm sure you thought that was funny .. when would you like the 'ba-doom TISH' ? ;)

:rolleyes: Right on cue.