American Hustle

Comments

• lloydstentonlloydstenton Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to this but it just felt over long and took over 2 hours to tell a story that Hustle the TV programme gets through in an hour....

Bale was brilliant though
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought it was pretty bad. the comedy elements took away the tension for me and it was a bit of a farce. i was hoping for something a bit more serious. the only good scene with some tension was d,e niro. felt a lot like oceans 12, the comedy was a bit smug and happy with itself, hard to explain but most of it wasnt needed. cooper has the ability but he cannot just play a straight role, he just has to ham it up. in fact its one big ham up. i see this film being massively over rated.
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I saw American Hustle today and I thought it was a good film but not as perfect as the critics are making out.It was well acted but it was over long and the plot could have done with more work on it.Bale,Cooper and Lawrence were great in it but Adams was average in comparison to them.Its a pity as I went in with high expectations but came out feeling let down!

3.5 out of 5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    POSS SPOILER

I'd say jennifer lawrence over acted a bit, I couldn't really take her character seriously, she was funny at times but it was like watching a sitcom when her scenes were on. I thought Bale did a good job, Cooper hammed it up too much but was good in places. Its being overrated in a big way, no way its as good as the critics say. The story just wasn't that interesting either, I'd rather it was more about taking down the bigger fish than how it actually turned out. Basically I felt that the film pretended to be a lot more interesting than it actually was, I really did prefer the trailer to the film.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think im much the same as a lot of other reviewers. I watched it last night and thought it was good, but not brilliant. Its over long and over hyped and not as good as it thinks it is.

Bale and Adams are excellent and deserve awards, but Lawrence was hammingly over acting every scene and Cooper struggled. The music is fantastic in the film, but the story is not engaging enough to sustain the running time. I would give it 3.5 out of 5, but if it had been trimmed to 90 minutes it would rise to 4 out of 5.

The problem is that the movie screams "OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR" for every second of its running time, and thats something I dont want in my films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah there is definitely a "look at me, I'm acting" feel about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    need to see it - anything with jennifer lawrence in and im sold!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree about J-Law. She is one of those actresses who doesn't over-act. She makes acting look so easy and fun. But i respect your opinion. But i keep seeing people using the word hammy acting, and that isn't what you see in this film. If your looking for hammy acting, watch Corrie or Hollyoaks.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was expecting probably a bit too much from this film, but I did still enjoy it, though I didn't quite feel that the end result did the concept quite enough justice. The story is fairly complex, and I may have drifted off a few times, as I think I need to see it again to fully understand the twists, but there are a lot of scenes that are incredibly fun, and the acting from the two leads, Bale and Adams and the two main supports, Cooper and Lawrence is at a very high level, there really could and should be four Oscar nominations here.

The second half is a lot more entertaining than the first, which is a lot of set-up, and there are times where you never really feel like you really have an understanding of the characters natures, though it's a con-movie so I suppose that's to be expected. I've got a feeling on repeat viewing it may even be an enhanced experience, because it's going to be good to go back and see the bits I've missed or maybe understand more now. And there really is a lot of fun to be had, and even if the story doesn't involve you as much as you'd like, the cast will probably save it, and there is also some pretty good dialogue scattered throughout for them to work with.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm baffled. Not by the film, because I haven't seen it yet, but by the times it's on. It's been "relegated" this week into the Xtreme screen (usually reserved for blockbusters and 3D, but not much fun for "normal" films) and being shown at really inconvenient times. What's the deal? Have the distributors decided other films are a higher priority?
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed the film, a good story with some twists and turns, and a great cast. Jennifer Lawrence is incredibly sexy, almost enough to get me to watch the second Hunger Games, almost.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this at the Vue in Hull yesterday and pretty much enjoyed it. I've personally always found Amy Adams very intriguing (in a good way) and I really enjoyed her performance. One of those subjective things I guess.

I was expecting a particular type of twist that never came, but it was one of those films where, part way through it, I found myself thinking I was really enojoying this. I like those moments :)

I didn't really understand one aspect of how things turned out though, but I don't want to post any inadvertent spoilers. Any pointers as to how I might avoid that?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watched this at the Vue in Hull yesterday and pretty much enjoyed it. I've personally always found Amy Adams very intriguing (in a good way) and I really enjoyed her performance. One of those subjective things I guess.

I was expecting a particular type of twist that never came, but it was one of those films where, part way through it, I found myself thinking I was really enojoying this. I like those moments :)

I didn't really understand one aspect of how things turned out though, but I don't want to post any inadvertent spoilers. Any pointers as to how I might avoid that?
    Post your question as a spoiler tag like this
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I'm baffled. Not by the film, because I haven't seen it yet, but by the times it's on. It's been "relegated" this week into the Xtreme screen (usually reserved for blockbusters and 3D, but not much fun for "normal" films) and being shown at really inconvenient times. What's the deal? Have the distributors decided other films are a higher priority?

If you're talking about the Vue at Westfield, then it seems to be because it was selling out fast on the day of release when they had it in normal screens - I was checking the times that day and then couldn't get tickets, but magically 2 hours later I could as they'd moved it into Xtreme.

Over the road in the Shepherd's Bush one it's in normal screens...
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're talking about the Vue at Westfield, then it seems to be because it was selling out fast on the day of release when they had it in normal screens - I was checking the times that day and then couldn't get tickets, but magically 2 hours later I could as they'd moved it into Xtreme.

Over the road in the Shepherd's Bush one it's in normal screens...

Right. I checked last week and if I remember correctly it was originally on at Westfield in screen 11 (160 seats) and one of the Scenes (84 seats), several times a day for each screen. So it looks like they've more-or-less doubled the number of seats but dropped some of the screenings. I'll wait until the weekend and hope it's moved back into one of the smaller screens.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed it a lot. Bale was better than in anything else I've seen him in. Loved the running gags too.
    Amy Adams was perfect. Good to see Cooper playing a total a**hole too. Great hairdos throughout.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post your question as a spoiler tag like this

Ta - I think I was expecting an option in the toolbar, but tags are fine :)

Ok - the bit I was puzzled about is below for anyone who can shed some light.
    I didn't really understand why the mob let Christian Bale's character off so lightly. I initially thought they got the £2 million, but that was paid back to the FBI in return for lighter sentences. In one synopsis, it just says that they were grateful that the heat was taken away from them, but that just doesn't seem to cut it for me, given how notoriously nasty they would have been to anyone who crossed them.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally saw this and generally enjoyed it, it was funnier than I expected, though I thought it was a good 20 minutes too long and Bradley Cooper overacted a lot.

But Bale, Adams, Renner and Lawrence were all wonderful, Adams especially surprised me with how good she was. I'm not sure I agree that Lawrence stole the picture from her, I think they're equally good.

I don't understand the complaints about it being confusing or jumbled though, I thought it was easy to see when they were flashing back to previous events, and generally understood who had the upper hand at any one time.

My biggest complaint apart from Cooper is probably the seriously dodgy editing in a couple of scenes, especially the one where Lawrence's character blows up the microwave. That's very obviously a few takes cut together, and it shouldn't be that noticeable.
    I didn't really understand why the mob let Christian Bale's character off so lightly. I initially thought they got the £2 million, but that was paid back to the FBI in return for lighter sentences. In one synopsis, it just says that they were grateful that the heat was taken away from them, but that just doesn't seem to cut it for me, given how notoriously nasty they would have been to anyone who crossed them.
    He could have managed to convince them he was conning the FBI the whole time.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Rosalyn had something to do with it either given the Italian mobster was still her boyfriend at the end.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never been a huge fan of David O Russell but I will say is this, it's easily his best film since Three Kings IMO.

I think it's a testament to Christian Bale's talent that he's able to reign himself in despite undergoing a huge physical transformation. In the final act especially he's rather passive and he lets Lawrence and Cooper take over (who are the fireworks of the film). But the heart of the film is Bale and Adams and they're great. Also a great change for Bale to play such a pathetic (though still lovable) character.

Never been a huge fan of O Russell as a storyteller but I will say that he has a real knack for bringing out the best from actors.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been a huge fan of David O Russell but I will say is this, it's easily his best film since Three Kings IMO.

Never been a huge fan of O Russell as a storyteller but I will say that he has a real knack for bringing out the best from actors.

Not a fan of The Fighter or Silver Linings Playbook?
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribute wrote: »
    Not a fan of The Fighter or Silver Linings Playbook?

Not particularly no. I REALLY didn't like Silver Linings Playbook though I know I'm in the minority.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know he did The Fighter. That and Silver linings were fab.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not particularly no. I REALLY didn't like Silver Linings Playbook though I know I'm in the minority.

I didn't like Silver Linings either.
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I thought everyone involved in this was on top form performance wise, I loved the story & I loved the characters and overall this movie just felt like a love letter to Martin Scorsese from David O.Russell.

Overall it's well worth a 9/10 movie from me...
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    I didn't like Silver Linings either.

I liked the dance contest/ex wife plot, but all that boring stuff about American football and betting just made my eyes glaze over.