98% watch TV on a......TV!

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
Forum Member
✭✭✭
".....the television set remains overwhelmingly at the heart of viewing, with 98.5% watching this way."

Very surprised at such a high figure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26221364

Comments

• Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not. When given a choice of watching something on a device with a small screen and poor speakers or on a TV why would choose the former?

In my case my TV is a 42" plasma with a 5.1 surround system, a mobile device (smartphone, tablet, laptop etc) can not compete with it.

Worth noting that this probably doesn't just mean broadcast TV, and includes watching on-demand content from the likes of Netflix etc via smart TVs or computers outputting to TVs.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watch stuff on a small screen when i am on a train or plane travelling why would i NOT want to watch the vast majority of catch up/streaming on the big screen?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not. When given a choice of watching something on a device with a small screen and poor speakers or on a TV why would choose the former?

The impression given by all media is that young `uns and young adults these days are glued to tablets/phones with headphones permanently embedded so that`s the surprising aspect to these figures.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Worth noting that this probably doesn't just mean broadcast TV, and includes watching on-demand content from the likes of Netflix etc via smart TVs or computers outputting to TVs.

Exactly. All our non sport/news viewing of Sky channels is via on demand. So even though it's via the net it's watched on the TV.

We also connect laptop/tablet to the TV to watch BT Sport.

About 75% of our viewing is downloaded but watched on the TV, but this survey doesn't highlight such viewing.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Research suggests that, instead of replacing live TV, on-demand television viewed on the likes of smartphones, tablets and desktops serves as a supplement to the linear TV schedule.

Live TV viewed via set-tops remains a staple of the daily routine for various reasons. These are as follows:

Comfort: Routine and familiarity; Live TV provides an opportunity to spend quality time with the family.

Experience: The need to experience a sense of occasion through weekly programming installments.

Connect: Live TV brings people together, providing talking points and shared interests whilst also adding the context of time and place.

Unwind: Live TV removes television viewers from the stresses of the daily routine and other demanding responsibilities.

Escape: Disconnects audiences from the reality of everyday surroundings, providing immersive narratives and sensory stimuli for absolute engagement.

Indulge: Appeals to the pleasure of watching much-anticipated episodes of favourite TV shows.

Whilst live TV has experienced a slight year-on-year decline, its dominance of overall TV viewing has remained stable over the past decade. It stands to reason that, although on-demand content caters for specific needs, it is by no means a replacement for the live TV schedule.

Stuart Bryan
    Guerillascope.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never watch tv on a tv. I am neither young or out and about. I'm in the 2% then.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I allude to in the other thread, now that most set-top boxes and many TVs are internet capable (or can easily be made so) and can therefore be used to watch catch-up services, we're no longer reliant on phones, tablets etc for streaming services. If you have the choice, why wouldn't you use the TV? I can only see this figure getting higher as more and more people replace their TVs.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Some of us have been streaming to our main (non-connected) TV sets for years using dedicated HTPCs or general purpose computers.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I watch almost everything on my smart TV, as it is more convenient than watching it on a computer or tablet. It takes time to boot a computer and again to turn it off, you have to exit all the apps etc.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    If you have to exit all the apps and turning it on is not instant then there is something wrong with your tablet.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This doesn't surprise me. TV is better, always will be.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised at the figures either. Even though there's this perception people hardly watch their TVs anymore. But that came from watching on catch up, people simply record their programmes they want to watch or have a Smart TV/Bluray player to access catch up

I tend to watch Netflix a lot on my TV now. I still watch it on my laptop/iphone occasionally, like in bed or when I'm out, but I prefer to watch things on the TV during the day
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible title OP.

I think its 98.5% viewing is on a tv, not 98.5% viewers.

Maybe it is service costs, but what costs could be incurred watching live tv say on the train?

Have seen many non linear viewings etc.

I have watched some stuff on a train, pre downloaded.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I pointed out on the other thread on this issue the report states that 88.7% of the content consumed is Live Linear TV. So that 87.3% of content watched on a TV is Live Broadcast TV and 10.7% is catchup, streaming and timeshifted with timeshifting most likely making up the bulk of that
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible title OP.

Beg pardon. I`ll be sure and get it pre-approved by you personally next time.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Beg pardon. I`ll be sure and get it pre-approved by you personally next time.

Oh come sir, it slightly misleading...incorrect would you not agree?

Hey many titles on DS Forums are corrected, its the DS way.