Maria Miller MP...Go or Stay?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Don't you know? It's because MPs are so superior to all the 'normal' people out there.

Oops, sorry forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder though. I don't know how I ever forgot thinking about it. ;-)
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sack the bitch.

If she was working class she would be facing prison.

But Dave, Boris and all their f*****g Bullingdon chums do not want that do they?

"We are all in this together".

Bollocks. >:(
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I bet Cameron and the Conservatives would be wanting a Labour MP to pay it all back but because the MP's a Conservative one, he wants it left alone.

Well yes, and if it was a Labour MP Milliband would be offering full support, blah, blah, because they're all as bad as each other. Bear in mind that any sanctions are determined by the Commons Committee for Standards (it doesn't actually say whether they're aiming for high or low standards!) and that's a cross-party committee so has Tory, Labour and Lib Dem representation. They're the ones who decided that although Miller had over-claimed by £45,000, they'd ignore the recommendation of the Parliamentary Commissioner that she should pay it all back, and said £5,800 would be enough, thank you very much.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, and if it was a Labour MP Milliband would be offering full support, blah, blah, because they're all as bad as each other. Bear in mind that any sanctions are determined by the Commons Committee for Standards (it doesn't actually say whether they're aiming for high or low standards!) and that's a cross-party committee so has Tory, Labour and Lib Dem representation.

You say that like there`s any difference. They all think, when judging their fellow MPs, "there but for the grace of God go I". It`s in their own interests to keep these slaps on the wrist light in case it`s them or one of their mates in the hot-seat at some point in the future.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    You say that like there`s any difference. They all think, when judging their fellow MPs, "there but for the grace of God go I". It`s in their own interests to keep these slaps on the wrist light in case it`s them or one of their mates in the hot-seat at some point in the future.

I'm sorry ... I don't understand. I say that like there's any difference between what? :confused:
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Email her and tell her to resign :)

maria.miller.mp@parliament.uk
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sack the bitch.

But Dave, Boris and all their f*****g Bullingdon chums do not want that do they?

The privately educated Oxford graduate Dennis MacShane served 6 weeks. It's got nothing to do with class.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Miller doesn't 'do' email. I've emailed her several times in the past and received no reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miller doesn't 'do' email. I've emailed her several times in the past and received no reply.

She probably thinks it is beneath her to talk to the proles. >:(
    Forum Member
    She probably thinks it is beneath her to talk to the proles. >:(

More than likely! I've no idea why she's still trying to brazen it out. She was caught with her hand in the till.
    Forum Member

Me too but it might sink in that she's massively disliked by the people.
    Forum Member
    Me too but it might sink in that she's massively disliked by the people.

True, it might do. Unfortunately I suspect that these people just don't care. I'm surprised she's the MP for Basingstoke though. Having been to the (ghastly) place many times it's never struck me as a Tory town.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I think it's pretty astonishing just how little has been done to those who have effectively been caught out as fraudsters and thieves. No amount of public grovelling or embarrassing excuses cover up the fact that people put in a position of power abused it and stole.

Any and all MP's found guilty of this should face the exact same punishment as any other employee found to be stealing. It really should be as simple as that for me.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    True, it might do. Unfortunately I suspect that these people just don't care. I'm surprised she's the MP for Basingstoke though. Having been to the (ghastly) place many times it's never struck me as a Tory town.

Labour came close in 1997 and even closer in 2001 but the seat hasn't been out of Tory hands since 1924. Miller currently has a 13,000 majority.
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »
    Labour came close in 1997 and even closer in 2001 but the seat hasn't been out of Tory hands since 1924. Miller currently has a 13,000 majority.

Very strange, or maybe not. It's full of white-collar workers and perhaps a lot of them commute into London.
  • Paul_phelanPaul_phelan Posts: 83
    Forum Member

She is a CROOK just like her Boss and most of the other MP'S.
    I can't do anything just pay as I am a taxpayer>:(
    But I do feel good because we are all in it together
    Forum Member
    Very strange, or maybe not. It's full of white-collar workers and perhaps a lot of them commute into London.

It is commuter belt plus the seat includes a chunk of the surrounding area.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sack the bitch.

Excellent 'summing up' here by the Prosecution. Now take her down.......errrm second thoughts, no, why waste money? Take her out to the Stocks and have her publicly whipped.

Don't waste time emailing her.....she wouldn't even look at them anyway.

I've signed this below. Get signing folks.
    JB3 wrote: »
    Forum Member

Nor me and IMO she should not only resign her position but also her seat and the same goes for any crooked MP.
    Forum Member
    It is commuter belt plus the seat includes a chunk of the surrounding area.

That explains it. The town centre seemed quite rough but it is set within a rather leafy and affluent part of Hampshire.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I always read her name is Marisa Miller, and then get disappointed :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Excellent 'summing up' here by the Prosecution. Now take her down.......errrm second thoughts, no, why waste money? Take her out to the Stocks and have her publicly whipped.

Don't waste time emailing her.....she wouldn't even look at them anyway.

I've signed this below. Get signing folks.

I would be happy to! :D

I disagree with the petition she should pay the money back AND resign.
    Forum Member
    AOTB wrote: »
    I think it's pretty astonishing just how little has been done to those who have effectively been caught out as fraudsters and thieves. No amount of public grovelling or embarrassing excuses cover up the fact that people put in a position of power abused it and stole.

Any and all MP's found guilty of this should face the exact same punishment as any other employee found to be stealing. It really should be as simple as that for me.

I genuinely don't think she believes she's done anything wrong and clearly neither do her fellow MPs. Her PPS is now briefing that this is all revenge for Leveson. Clearly it can't be anything to do with Miller's conduct. It's like they live on a different planet.

They've learned nothing from the expenses scandal.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I genuinely don't think she believes she's done anything wrong and clearly neither do her fellow MPs. Her PPS is now briefing that this is all revenge for Leveson. Clearly it can't be anything to do with Miller's conduct. It's like they live on a different planet.

They've learned nothing from the expenses scandal.

Yup.

What also astounds me are the number of people who seem to now be bored of it and have let them sweep a lot of it under the carpet. Sure there were some scapegoats who got sent down, but by and large a load of politicians have literally gotten away with fraud which of course is criminal.

Paying something back that has been stolen doesn't even begin to scrape the barrel of genuine punishment/ consequences for their actions.

The only way for me to believe this has been dealt with fairly is if these politicians are treated exactly the same as any other person found guilty of theft. No more and no less.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her position is untenable & it's staggering (then again, maybe it isn't staggering after all.>:() that she is still in her job.

I believe she won't last long because the pressure will be too much & Cameron will do what Tory Boy Clegg did with David Laws; that's park her in the long grass, then bring her back into government when he thinks that we've all forgotten about her dishonesty.

They really do not get it, or they just don't care & I can envisage them all laughing at us like the Smash Martians.>:(