Maria Miller MP...Go or Stay?

Comments

• Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Grant Schapps (sp?) comments on anything, you know the opposite is true! :)

The woman's position is untenable for various reasons. Time she did the honorouble thing, I'm sure someone will employ her. She can take IDS with her with a bit of luck.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thread on IDS and Maria Miller has disappeared.

I have no idea why either. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Some have been sent to jail, not nearly enough though.

I wonder how mant benefit cheats have been caught, very few I suspect.

A great many, fraud and error may be a low percentage but it is a low percentage of a huge budget, and still amounts to millions. The government and independent auditors regard the DWPs fraud figures as accurate, and if they are, a low percentage of 0.7% is quite staggering for such a huge, complex system. The figures are supposedly based on those found to have committed fraud, together with an estimate of those believed to be at it but not yet prosecuted.

The vast majority will be smallish amounts, so tend not to make the papers but the larger amounts usually do.
    Forum Member
    Nor me and IMO she should not only resign her position but also her seat and the same goes for any crooked MP.

Agreed.

She is in public office, and those in public office (and to me that includes the police, fire service etc.) have to be held to the very highest standards.
    Forum Member
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    If Grant Schapps (sp?) comments on anything, you know the opposite is true! :)

The woman's position is untenable for various reasons. Time she did the honorouble thing, I'm sure someone will employ her. She can take IDS with her with a bit of luck.

It staggers me how bullet proof he is.

He's overseen some of the biggest and most expensive failures of a government department in many years, from the farce that is UJM over run with spam and identity theft adverts and reportedly set to be scrapped, the Universal Credit IT system that has failed, and is to be reworked at great expense with millions written off, the complete farce of ATOS, the £7Bn Work Programme that is less successful than just attending the Job Centre, and that some providers are now pulling out of and a number of other failures.

Yet he is still in charge of the DWP.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be happy to! :D

I disagree with the petition she should pay the money back AND resign.
    I think many Tory MP's would be only too happy to give her a whipping as well! They've always been known for their kinky 'adventures' so it would be a pleasure for them......maybe her as well? Perhaps we should 'tar and feather', then put the bitch on the Ducking Stool instead?

Yes the petition isn't everything but at least it's something.

Had i been in her position (never likely to as i've never been privileged to wallow around in those amounts of money), i'd have held my hand up immediately, insisted or re-paying the entire lot, and standing down.

But some MP's simply have no moral compass and are so far removed from 'normal' society, there is more chance of Hell freezing over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's overseen some of the biggest and most expensive failures of a government department in many years, from the farce that is UJM over run with spam and identity theft adverts and reportedly set to be scrapped, the Universal Credit IT system that has failed, and is to be reworked at great expense with millions written off, the complete farce of ATOS, the £7Bn Work Programme that is less successful than just attending the Job Centre, and that some providers are now pulling out of and a number of other failures.

He even has the power to make threads disappear! :(
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was thinking more of how cruel a person he is, but yes, all those things, which ultimatly Osborne Cameron and Clegg will bear responsibility for!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thread had some wonderful comments on IDS from many posters but it has gone. :confused:
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A great many, fraud and error may be a low percentage but it is a low percentage of a huge budget, and still amounts to millions. The government and independent auditors regard the DWPs fraud figures as accurate, and if they are, a low percentage of 0.7% is quite staggering for such a huge, complex system. The figures are supposedly based on those found to have committed fraud, together with an estimate of those believed to be at it but not yet prosecuted.

The vast majority will be smallish amounts, so tend not to make the papers but the larger amounts usually do.
    There are more benefit cheats caught and sentenced than companies and wealthy individuals exploiting tax avoidance loopholes.

I saw a chart somewhere which shows how much the UK loses per annum through tax avoidance. It's massive.....billions of pounds, yet by comparison the amount defrauded by benefit cheats is miniscule.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I swear he must have dirt on Cameron because he is wholly inept at his job
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go, but she won't, as they have different rules.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I swear he must have dirt on Cameron because he is wholly inept at his job
    He's probably the only one who'll stick at it. Bit like Dirty Harry. Except when he says "Do you feel lucky, punk?" he means "How do you think your zero-hour contract will go this week, chump?" ... tirelessly at the service of the public with his .45 Parker pen
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    There are more benefit cheats caught and sentenced than companies and wealthy individuals exploiting tax avoidance loopholes.

I saw a chart somewhere which shows how much the UK loses per annum through tax avoidance. It's massive.....billions of pounds, yet by comparison the amount defrauded by benefit cheats is miniscule.

Indeed.

Ideally we'd have no benefit fraud at all, but the very fact it is as low a percentage as it is is actually hugely impressive for such a mammoth, bureaucratic and expensive system.
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sacked (they should not be able to choose to resign) with no gold plated pension... lets see them survive in the real world
    Prosecuted with the possibility of prison
    Plastered on tv as a fraud

Along with every single mp that messed about, irrespective of party.. of course this would not happen because they are "all in it together" and of course the whole thing will fall off the medias puppets radar in days

Having said that, we would probably have to prospone PMQ's for a few months (HoP would be close to empty)

Orwell must be turning in his grave
  • Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Dave keeps on saying we should all move on. If we felt this matter had been resolved then we would but clearly we don't. Dave hopes this will all go away but I think the offence is too big for that. Hard to believe that her friends and colleagues were allowed to reduce her £45k repayment to just £5k. Evidence. Alone their system isn't working. She must go and that panel need investigating and held to account.
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

Benefit fraud accounts for less than 6% of total fraud against the public sector while tax fraud accounts for 68% of total fraud against the public sector (source National Fraud Office). (Obviously all fraud is unjustifiable and anybody found guilty should be punished).

As for Miller I think that she should be sacked for this latest behaviour, but I think her behaviour was even worse when, as Duncan Smith's sidekick, she misrepresented the increase in DLA claimants, misrepresented the numbers that got DLA supposedly without medical evidence and misrepresented the results of the DLA consultation (as exposed by the Spartacus Report) in order to bring in the new PIP system that is already in chaos.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Max Love wrote: »
    Dave keeps on saying we should all move on. If we felt this matter had been resolved then we would but clearly we don't. Dave hopes this will all go away but I think the offence is too big for that. Hard to believe that her friends and colleagues were allowed to reduce her £45k repayment to just £5k. Evidence. Alone their system isn't working. She must go and that panel need investigating and held to account.

It is staggering. And if that ham-faced fool Cameron thinks people are going to "move on" and let her get away with it then he's even more stupid than I thought.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    It is staggering. And if that ham-faced fool Cameron thinks people are going to "move on" and let her get away with it then he's even more stupid than I thought.

Her stupid PPS has made absolutely certain that isn't going to happen by banging on about how the press are seeking revenge for Leveson. Apparently she did it off her own back but if one thing is certain to keep Maria Miller on the front pages it's accusing the press of a witch hunt!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    At the Election are the good people of Basingstoke going to vote for this woman again knowing she's been robbing them all?;-)
    Forum Member
    evilgazebo wrote: »
    At the Election are the good people of Basingstoke going to vote for this woman again knowing she's been robbing them all?;-)

With a 13,000 majority if she stands I can't imagine she'll struggle. I suppose her local constituency party could deselect her and there's an outside chance Labour could nick it if the Basingstokers feel strongly enough.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »
    Her stupid PPS has made absolutely certain that isn't going to happen by banging on about how the press are seeking revenge for Leveson. Apparently she did it off her own back but if one thing is certain to keep Maria Miller on the front pages it's accusing the press of a witch hunt!
    Was that the silly cow on Sky news earlier?

Even Kaye Burleigh managed to make her look a right prat.

''this is a media witch hunt, the public's outcry for Maria to resign is the result of the media witch hunt''
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I find it disgusting when they say "it's all the press you guys are keeping this going". It shows EXACTLY what politicians think of the people they are supposed to represent. That we only know of things the media have brought to us. Thinking the public are idiots who cannot judge themselves.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Max Love wrote: »
    Dave thinks we should all do as he says, because he's the clever one and we are plebs.

Dave thinks we should all move on because he doesn't want any in depth thinking about what he and his chums and the rest in Westminster(not his chums, but in the same Westminster Club) honestly believe.

Which is '' get elected, tell them what they want to hear' and filch what you want from the the public money box, because they are all too thick to notice'
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    Was that the silly cow on Sky news earlier?

Even Kaye Burleigh managed to make her look a right prat.

''this is a media witch hunt, the public's outcry for Maria to resign is the result of the media witch hunt''

That's the one, Mary Macleod. Apparently she's acting off her own back but if you believe that you'll believe anything!

Miller has been interviewed by her local paper and she's still banging the drum about how she's been cleared. She's daft enough not to realise that her being cleared is part of the problem thanks to the committee looking after its own. I think at this point only Cameron and Miller believe that the committee did the right thing and their decision is relevant.

Surely she can't last much longer?