Options

X-Factor contracts

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
Forum Member
✭✭
in ref to this thread: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1404345

does anyone here have the text of your average bog standard XF contract? i find it hard to believe that it's not unethical to bar someone from working in their industry, if you have already let them go, most likely without any remunaration, too. so i have to assume there is another reason for this interfering.

Comments

• Options
    derbrainderbrain Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure she was very willing to sign the thing in the fist place.

I am also sure it's only for a short time anyway. She knew this clause was in there so why do this anyway? Is she trying to look good and win points for her appeal by any chance?

It's not working for me I'm affaid.
  • Options
    astoundedastounded Posts: 2,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derbrain wrote: »

I am also sure it's only for a short time anyway. She knew this clause was in there so why do this anyway? Is she trying to look good and win points for her appeal by any chance?

People with very little will sign almost anything to make it. It's similiar to the football agents who go to Africa to bind 14 year olds in contracts that give them a cut of their lifetime earnings. If people see only one way out of the situation they are in, they are vunerable to exploitation..
  • Options
    magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In today's Mirror - at the end of the interview with Mary she states:

" ... I can't really say anything as I am under contract for two years. But give me two years and then we'll see what happens"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am also sure it's only for a short time anyway.

i'm pretty sure there is a ruling that disallows having such clauses for low level employees, as you'd basically bar them from making a living, while they also had no chance to get enough money aside to get through the times they are barred.

especially if she is really bound for 2 years, as suggested by magsy56.

2 years would also hint that someone had bigger plans with her and she might just have pissed on those prospects.

hence my interest in the standard contract, or contracts, as there will be more detailed ones as you move up in the contest. there are 1000s applying every year, if everyone had to sign such restricting paperwork, none of them could go on for quiet a while. since we can quite safely assume most wouldn't think that far, Syco would make a killing just slapping them and make them pay a fee/fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - Mary may have something in the pipeline cos in the previous paragraph she mentioned that Louis had said she is bound to get a contract (that is why she did not want to elaborate further and mentioned the two years).

However, I cannot fathom how Syco (or whoever) could hold Gamu to anything of the kind. In the early days of X Factor it was known that artists on the tour could not commit to anything until after the tour was over but how can this apply to someone who was kicked out. It makes no sense. I hope the charity asks for some free legal advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, it was claimed a few weeks ago that 'the show producers' do everything to help Gamu in her legal case to remain in the UK.

she was better than others that got through to the live shows, so why not make sure that if she remains in the country, she will run again and have a safe bet for next year already? including a free sob story how she had to fight circumstances and still has the heart to audition again.

by signing her up for 2 years now - read 1 year after the next show, which seems to be the norm for those in the main show, what with going on tour and all - now, where is she in need of support, you can also knock down the price quite a bit. she might work out a real bargain. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope so DSDP - I, for one, would love to see her back, but maybe not in the X Factor as I feel the show has lost all credibility and Gamu is (or could be) a credible artist. With her background and all the publicity it attracted she would need a management structure and record company that would protect and nurture. If I was her mother I would not trust Cowell et al to do that.
  • Options
    derbrainderbrain Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are we looking at next years chosen one do you think?, should we all be putting £100 on the nose?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point Derbrain;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    :D
    So are we looking at next years chosen one do you think?, should we all be putting £100 on the nose?

I am off to the bookies in the morning, well spotted!:D

The contracts are pretty binding to all who enter and get as far as the judges houses, which Gamu did.