letting the cat outside

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
Forum Member
when we first got my cat, we lived in a flat. we have now moved to a house, which although is in a nice area, isnt too far away from a very rough estate. now my little princess is desperate to get out, and i know how much she would love it, shes so adventerous and playful and has so much energy. but i am TERRIFIED of letting her out. a few times last summer i let her out to play in the back garden under my constant supervision and she loved it, smelling all the plants, and feeling all the different textures under her feet. I soo want to be able to let her out to roam free but the thought of something bad happening to her makes me sick to the stomach.

my main fears are - her getting run over.

her roaming into the bad area and her being her usual friendly self and going upto people, for them to be bad to her.

foxes or dogs attacking her.

her getting lost and not knowing how to get home.

neighbours being annoyed at her being in their garden, and flinging water over her or something.

i know i sound so ridiculous, but she is incredibly precious, i feel like shes my child rather than my cat!

how can i get over these fears? any tips or advice?

Comments

• cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roads are a real and serious hazard to young cats. I don't let M&M out as I live quite close to one which can be busy, plus M isn't too bright though the other M is so sharp she could cut herself.

However, they play a huge amount with each other - if I just had M or M it would be a nightmare.

Maybe some 'environmental enrichment' might do the trick for keeping her happy inside - possibly in the shape of a wee prince? If you have never seen two cats playing it's quite an eye-opener. M&M are normally such elegent dainty animals but seem to transform into heffalumps when chasing each other!

If you do decide to let her out, make sure she is chipped and neutered, and if she will tolerate a collar put one on her as well.

You might manage to get her to wear a harness so you can let her out but attached to a long line so she can't escape.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am exactly the same with all of my 15. I lived in a flat about 30ft away. I had to move after we lost a cat too a RTA, The very first time i let my kado out he was out for hours but wouldnt come home even after i shouted him, I searched the full villiage asked every person who i passed have they seen him as most villiagers know him. I went and looked in the bushes in the flat below us he was curled up in them. I screamed and OH had to come across too check. He was fast asleep. I was hysterical i had only just lost kay though so i do know where your coming from. With my 15 only the 5eldest ones go out. 2 will never go out either. My others are ok but do bicker sometimes. If i could keep them all in i would, Have you thought of cat proofing your garden at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    cats_five wrote: »
    Roads are a real and serious hazard to young cats. I don't let M&M out as I live quite close to one which can be busy, plus M isn't too bright though the other M is so sharp she could cut herself.

However, they play a huge amount with each other - if I just had M or M it would be a nightmare.

Maybe some 'environmental enrichment' might do the trick for keeping her happy inside - possibly in the shape of a wee prince? If you have never seen two cats playing it's quite an eye-opener. M&M are normally such elegent dainty animals but seem to transform into heffalumps when chasing each other!

If you do decide to let her out, make sure she is chipped and neutered, and if she will tolerate a collar put one on her as well.

You might manage to get her to wear a harness so you can let her out but attached to a long line so she can't escape.

my mum has 2 boy cats who get on great. there old men now but when they were young they played constantly. she let them out and still does and thankfully nothing ever happened to them.

the thing is, were getting a dog. a dalmatian. i dont know how shes going to react to this as she's used to all the attention, so it would be nice to let her out and escape the madness of a dalmatian pup bouncing about the house.

she is already dressed and chipped, altho collar is a no-go zone. i like the idea of getting a lead for her so i might do that.

thanks for replying :)
    Forum Member
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    I am exactly the same with all of my 15. I lived in a flat about 30ft away. I had to move after we lost a cat too a RTA, The very first time i let my kado out he was out for hours but wouldnt come home even after i shouted him, I searched the full villiage asked every person who i passed have they seen him as most villiagers know him. I went and looked in the bushes in the flat below us he was curled up in them. I screamed and OH had to come across too check. He was fast asleep. I was hysterical i had only just lost kay though so i do know where your coming from. With my 15 only the 5eldest ones go out. 2 will never go out either. My others are ok but do bicker sometimes. If i could keep them all in i would, Have you thought of cat proofing your garden at all.

i know, its terrible! i just cant stand the thought of her being in any pain, and without me there to help!

about the garden thing, well the fences are 8ft high, but u know cats she will still somehow get up there. there are little bits where the fence doesnt come right down to the ground either so she could escape that way. just wish she knew not to stray away but oh well
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missrae wrote: »
    i know, its terrible! i just cant stand the thought of her being in any pain, and without me there to help!

about the garden thing, well the fences are 8ft high, but u know cats she will still somehow get up there. there are little bits where the fence doesnt come right down to the ground either so she could escape that way. just wish she knew not to stray away but oh well

If she has been used to being an indoor cat then I would say keep it that way, my two are both indoor cats with access to a courtyard , they are happy as larry and have plenty of room and toys .

Or you could consider really making your garden escape proof ?

http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-cat-proof-a-garden-a54736
    http://www.katzecure.com/
    http://www.purrfectfence.co.uk/
  • Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on your circumstances. Ideally its great to let a cat out if the area around you is relatively safe for them. However, I keep my cat indoors because our estate isn't the best and, like your cat, she's very friendly and curious and could run into the wrong people. We're also near a busy road, and there's a monster of a dog next door who hates cats. So all in all its better for her, although you do need to watch their diet and exercise, my girl is starting to get a bit pudgy!

My parents have a cat who's 10 now and she never really wandered beyond the back garden. They're off the beaten track too so that obviously lowers the risk of road accidents.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some cats are indoor cats, and have to be so for a reason, but I would hate for my fella to be kept indoors. He goes out when he feels like it and meets up with all his mates from around.

I suppose I am lucky where I live to be able to let him do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could cat proof it with a proper cat fence witch angles inwards. I have chicken wire at the bottom of mine to stop mine going under them. I am not bothered about cats coming in but it more mine getting out. Mine will come in within 5 mins if i call them when they are outside,
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    I don't know, it seems so unnatural to keep a cat indoors:confused:

Mine would go stir crazy if they couldn't explore the big wide world. I'm lucky to have a big garden in a village and my house is surrounded by other gardens and open space though, with no busy roads to worry about. I don'[t think I'd have cats otherwise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    My son accidentally drove over our Garfield............ who obviously didn't make it. So accidents can happen in your own yard as well. My son is devastated and nothing we say or do can console him. Garfield was such a special cat! Oh, and he (Garfield, not my son) was 11 yrs old already.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I know some cats are indoor cats, and have to be so for a reason, but I would hate for my fella to be kept indoors. He goes out when he feels like it and meets up with all his mates from around.I suppose I am lucky where I live to be able to let him do that.

I have visions of them all sitting in a circle with their pints of beer in their paws moaning about the their 'slaves' :D:D
    Forum Member
    thanks for the replies - definately going to look into cat proofing the garden, and using a lead in the mean time!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the replies - definately going to look into cat proofing the garden, and using a lead in the mean time!

If you are going to try a lead, go for a harness (that wraps around the cat's front legs and body). The leads that attach to a collar, in a similar fashion to a dog, are all too easy for a cat to struggle free from.

Let us know how you get on.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon some cats have good road sense and some don't - fortunately all three of my outdoor cats have been fine. Unfortunately one can't tell which type of cat one's got until it's too late. Our dopey old cat can calculate to the millimetre exactly where the OH and I need to put the car in the driveway - he sits in the drive, about an inch away from the moving car, because he reckons he knows we won't be going there. It's how I tell if he's still got all his marbles! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but all your reasons for not letting her out are selfish. She is an animal, you can't keep her cooped up because your worried about what *might* happen.

My cat fell in the house and broke his leg in 4 places, I was out so he was in pain for hours, being inside made no difference to the situation.

Cats like to roam, they need the exercise and the enrichment. Stop being selfish and let her out. She'll be fine. She probably will meet other cats and get in a scrap, then learn her lesson.

If you are not willing to give the cat the best life possible (and that included access to the outdoors when possible) then you shouldn't have her. You've said yourself that she is desperate to get out, so let her out. I understand its not possible when you are in a flat or right by a main road but tbh you shouldn't have got a cat in the first place. If someone lived a flat and had a dog that they weren't willing to take for a walk the forum would be in uproar. But keeping a cat cooped up is ok.....madness.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but all your reasons for not letting her out are selfish. She is an animal, you can't keep her cooped up because your worried about what *might* happen.

My cat fell in the house and broke his leg in 4 places, I was out so he was in pain for hours, being inside made no difference to the situation.

Cats like to roam, they need the exercise and the enrichment. Stop being selfish and let her out. She'll be fine. She probably will meet other cats and get in a scrap, then learn her lesson.

If you are not willing to give the cat the best life possible (and that included access to the outdoors when possible) then you shouldn't have her. You've said yourself that she is desperate to get out, so let her out. I understand its not possible when you are in a flat or right by a main road but tbh you shouldn't have got a cat in the first place. If someone lived a flat and had a dog that they weren't willing to take for a walk the forum would be in uproar. But keeping a cat cooped up is ok.....madness.

This.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we got our cats we kept them inside for a couple of weeks so they could familiarise themselves with the new surroundings. We were told that if you let cats out too soon after moving they might try to find their way back to the previous place.

I would say you should let her out if she seems familiar with the new surroundings, if it has been a couple of weeks she will be used to it and it should then be fine letting her explore the outdoors :)
    Forum Member

I don't see that having a house cat is selfish. she has run of the full house, shes well fed, has loads of toys and as much attention and affection off 2 very loving owners as she can possibly get. millions of people have cats as house pets and i'm positive that my cat is one of the best cared for out there, so I really do not appreciate being told that I am neglecting my animal.
    Forum Member
    When we got our cats we kept them inside for a couple of weeks so they could familiarise themselves with the new surroundings. We were told that if you let cats out too soon after moving they might try to find their way back to the previous place.

I would say you should let her out if she seems familiar with the new surroundings, if it has been a couple of weeks she will be used to it and it should then be fine letting her explore the outdoors :)

thank you...we moved into our house in august, and she got out in the back garden a couple of times. my mum said something about putting butter on there paws so that when they wander off for the first time, they can trace the scent of the butter back home? don't know if this is a load of rubbish, my cat would end up licking it all off before she left the house. she hasnt been out through winter because of the bad weather, but hopefully we'll be able to start introducing her to the outdoors again soon - also we have a raised deck out the back with has gaps in it, so everytime we let her out she runs under there and doesnt come back out for hours. so will need to get some chicken wire put up round there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do believe cats are outdoor animals and should be able to have access to outside. Though obviously each cat and situation is different. I have two cats and they go stir crazy if they cant get out.. But then on some days, i leave a window open so they can hop in and out as they please, and they'd rather lounge around on the sofa. But still i like the fact that they are free and not in a prison. If they really wanted, they could sod off round the world!
  • fancynancyfancynancy Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    I don't see that having a house cat is selfish. she has run of the full house, shes well fed, has loads of toys and as much attention and affection off 2 very loving owners as she can possibly get. millions of people have cats as house pets and i'm positive that my cat is one of the best cared for out there, so I really do not appreciate being told that I am neglecting my animal.

Would you be happy to be locked indoors for the rest of your life?

Never smell the fresh air, never feel the sun on your face, never listen to the sounds of the world around you?

Think about it - how would you feel if you could never go beyond your own front door ever again? Would you be content to be condemned to that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We recently moved to a house on a main road (there is a field out back) and i am not for letting my cat out for fear he will get run over. I can tell he wants to go out sometimes but i don't want to risk it. He's been run over before and put himslef through a lot of pain and us over 1500 quid in vet bills.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rather judgmental and a bit unfair dont you think , there are may happy house cats and it is a fact that house cats tend to live longer and also tend to have better general health.

What would be better to you, a cat left in Battersea for life in a cage or maybe put down, or in a happy loving home as a house cat with plenty of room to play and where they are much loved ?
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I always found it stressful when my cat was outside when I lived in a flat because the cat flap opened to the front of the property - it was a very quiet road but cars were around and if she had caught a mouse (which she often did) she lost all her road sense and would frolic with the mouse on the road :eek: We lived in the flat until she was 7 and she loved the outdoors - I could never have kept her housebound just to satisfy my own needs/ allay my anxiety levels. As others have said, we humans would go stir crazy confined to being indoors all day.

When I was buying my house, the main criterion for me was that it had to be cat friendly. I refused to look at any houses that were not in a quiet location. When I moved in the back glass panelled door was unsuitable for a cat flap so I ordered a new door and, while waiting for it (about 6 weeks), had a carpenter remove the glass panelling to insert chipboard so a temporary cat flap could be installed. I suppose it was a slight security risk but the carpenter said that a determined burglar could break into any door with the right tools.

I don't understand why people with cats choose to move to houses on busy roads :confused:

My cat is 16 now and is happy and healthy. She and my other cat have free access to come and go as they please and, this time of year, they choose to spend most of their time indoors near wherever I am in the house. I know when the weather gets warmer they'll be back outdoors again as most of us humans will be, enjoying the sunshine and longer days.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Ignore them, missrae. :)

I have two house cats for the same reasons as you. They get more attention and more play time than cats that are outside for hours. They are healthy and happy.

They do go outside in the garden several times a day but I make sure they don't go elsewhere.

Mine are 10 months and 7 months - half sisters - and don't know any different. It's not cruel. It's not selfish. It's responsible.

I'm not saying all owners who allow their cats to roam are bad and I'm not saying all owners of house cats are good.

I'm saying that having a house cat is not a bad thing.