Grindhouse To release Cannibal Holocaust on blu ray

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
Forum Member
Hi there,this is my first post on here.
Grindhouse Releasing are to release Cannibal Holocaust on blu ray.I am almost certain it will be a fully uncut version,the same as their excellent dvd.This is one of my favourite movies of all time.So obviously I will be buying it on release.
I emailed Grindhouse yesterday,and here is there reply

we are still working on it, but no firm dates yet. We just recorded a new commentary track with Carl Yorke and Francesca Ciardi for the new release, as well as an exhaustive career interview with Ruggero Deoadto,
More to come...

In a message dated 5/11/2011 1:57:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, keithnaisbitt@hotmail.co.uk writes:

Hi guys,I emailed you last year and asked if you were releasing cannibal holocaust on blu ray and you said yes in the future. have you got any updates on this? thanks in advance keith

I for one can't wait for it.Just hope the blu ray is region free,the same as their dvd!!

Comments

• shauryashaurya Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    This is the prequel of Machete
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaurya wrote: »
    This is the prequel of Machete

Err, not it's not. Then again, you're just a spammer so what would you know? (And yes, I've checked the user's other posts).
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    So now fans will need to compare both Grindhouse and Shameless releases of this cult classic. Who will have the best extras i wonder?
  • mllfapmllfap Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now fans will need to compare both Grindhouse and Shameless releases of this cult classic. Who will have the best extras i wonder?

Grindhouse will be uncut.
    Shameless will not .

No deliberation needed.

The Grindhouse dvd has the exhaustive Italian 90 minute documentary on the making of the film so I don't think Shameless will be able to compete with that .

If they have any sense they'll use it too rather than make a couple of 15 minute ones of their own like they usually do.

Like the Shameless release of New York Ripper , superior releases make their disc redundant.

I wonder if the release of CH in the UK will cause some fuss.
    It's new 18 certificate means that it would be completely legal to show it on tv and I expect that Film4 will be queueing up to buy it .
    Regardless of the reasons behind the BBFC decision not to cut the film beyond the 15 seconds I still think there is enough content in the movie to make waves , not least of which is the infamous turtle killing.

Press reaction will be interesting to read when it comes out.
    Forum Member
    Arrow can do a lot. Thankfully Francesca Ciardi lives in the UK and made an appearance last year to talk about the films. Considering the amount of screenings Cult Labs are behind every year i could see every chance of them bringing Ruggero Deodato back over (he was here last year for a Q&A and autograph session) Francesca lives here anyway and fly Gabriel Yorke over and do a live screening of the movie/Q&A and film it for the bluray/DVD release like they have done before. Only time will tell if Grindhouse will rush their release out before Arrow or if they will take their time with it.

The BBFC have made their decision, people in the other threat tried to tell me otherwise but now it has been made offiicial they need to accept it. Yes you will buy it from Tesco, yes it will be available to everyone, yes it can be shown on TV and there's not a thing anyone can do about it since BBFC have made their decision. I think both companies should be trying to give different special features to try and give fans their moneys worth. Of course Grindhouse can transfer all the old extras over too to make it look more impressive. I can see many people buying both releases but i think most will buy the Grindhouse version, not because their gonna watch it uncut with the animal killings but just so that they can say they own an uncut version of the film. It's no different than people buying steelbooks or having their collection in alphabetical order. If that is the case then great! All these companies need to work together to maximise profits and awareness for the movies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBFC have made their decision, people in the other threat tried to tell me otherwise but now it has been made offiicial they need to accept it. Yes you will buy it from Tesco, yes it will be available to everyone, yes it can be shown on TV and there's not a thing anyone can do about it since BBFC have made their decision..

The BBFC decisions are not the last word by any means.
    If somebody somewhere decides that the film is obscene they can easily take it to court regardless of any BBFC decision although I suspect getting the film into court now would be a bit more difficult than it was in 1983.

If someone wants to appeal the BBFC rating they can send it to the BBFC appeals committee which is usually to get less cuts in releases but in the past they have actually insisted on additional cuts like they did with Last House On the Left.

I don't often see any supermarkets with more than chart titles .
    Have Tesco and the like stocked City of the Living Dead or I Spit On your Grave?

Isn't it strange to think of 27-29 years ago and the absolute uproar over the packaging of these films let alone the films themselves?

I wonder if Arrow would dare to include the original Go Video cover that pretty much kicked off the video nasties fuss and ensure that it did appear on the front for display in supermarkets.
    Forum Member
    Time will tell and people can see what the best release is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time will tell and people can see what the best release is.

We already know what the best one to buy will be - the uncut one.
    If you are interested in this type of movie why would anyone buy a cut version when an uncut one is available.

At the very least you would get both if the bonus features on the Shameless disc are too good to miss.
    But they would need to be outstanding
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member

I'll be going for the grindhouse option my friend as the shameless version is still cut by 1 min
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll stick with the perfectly good Dutch EC ultrabit DVD version.
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it wont be long now till both companies release what special features they have.
  • zacharysmithzacharysmith Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    zanner wrote: »
    I'll be going for the grindhouse option my friend as the shameless version is still cut by 1 min

Is this confirmed?
    It was posted elsewhere on the forum the cuts were only 14 seconds.
    RussellIan wrote: »
    I'll stick with the perfectly good Dutch EC ultrabit DVD version.
    The Grindhouse dvd is the best dvd version but all are rendered obsolete once the uncut Bluray appears
    I'm sure it wont be long now till both companies release what special features they have.

No special features are important enough to opt for a cut version over an uncut one.

As you were the one who claimed the Shameless release was going to be cut by only 14 seconds can you confirn that 14 was the final count and that the above post is wrong?

On the Shameless front they'll actually release their first ever uncut Bluray in September with Argento rarity Four Fies on Grey Velvet
    Forum Member
    It's actually 15 seconds and yes it has been confirmed by the BBFC themselves. The muskrat scene has been cut but has been replaced with alternate footage and the audio has not not been cut so you still hear the sound of it screaming. The BBFC talk about it here.

http://www.sbbfc.co.uk/CaseStudies/Cannibal_Holocaust
  • itvproduceritvproducer Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Animal cruelty it may be but I certainly won't be buying any discs for this type of film if they are cut in any way.
    The BBFC persist in sending buyers elsewhere and harming the UK market by cutting movies.

I'm sure unaware punters will lap it up but anyone with the merest hint of knowledge about the genre will want the uncut movie

Nice to see the BBFC freely admit that they were completely wrong with regard to all the cuts for sexual violence and 3 of the animal killings .
    Doesn't help the distributor of the film in 2001 though who would have lost loads of sales by selling such a butchered version.

While I understand the reason the BBFC cut the muskrat killing I don't really know what they expect the cut to achieve.

Other than the scene breaking a decades old law there seems no logic to it.
    The scene was filmed 32 years ago , and in another country.
    Forum Member
    Most people don't want to watch the animal killings so the UK version will be fine.
    Forum Member
    Most people don't want to watch the animal killings so the UK version will be fine.

Thats an absolute nonsense excuse for the UK cuts.
    Regardless of what is cut most people interested in this type of film want it uncut and the muskrat killing is absolutely nothing compared to the turtle mutilation.

If people are happy to sit through that then they won't think anything of the bit that is cut if they got to see it.

The Grindhouse Bluray remains the one to buy over a release that will be valueless simply because its edited.

Unless the Grindhouse one is region coded the UK one will be of very limited interest although I may get it if the extras are good once the disc is £6 but the 90 minute making of that Grindhouse have access to will be hard to top

Sales of the Shameless Bluray won't be helped by the fact that its being listed as " The Directors New Edit".
    About as desirable as a Vipco release
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Most people don't want to watch Cannibal Holocaust but those who do want to watch the best available print of the film. Same for any film.
    Forum Member
    Well the HD master can be sold off to different companies, apart from those 15 seconds cut both Grindhouse and Shameless prints will be identical. The UK version will also feature a animal cruelty free version and since it is out in September i would expect full details to be released soon.
    Forum Member
    I think anyone who would genuinely find the muskrat killing upsetting or offensive will probably pass out when they see the turtle scene.

The BBFC explain that the turtle was killed "humanely" in one slash of the machete.
    However , previously the BBFC banned scenes where the animals were killed purely for the purpose of filming the action.
    Nobody can convince me that what happens in the turtle scene was for anything other than sensationalist footage.

While the video nasties and other infamous gore movies have come and gone uncut in the UK over the years and never made a ripple I do feel that Cannibal Holocaust is the one that might cause some fuss.

Speaking of which - the US release of Nightmares In A Damaged Brain AKA Nightmare are now shipping.
    Its uncut and we should not forget that releasing a censored version of this movie in the UK in the early 80s' got the distributor jailed for 6 months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I have now decided to get both versions of CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST ON blu ray.The shameless is only cut by 14 seconds and can be ordered now for september.But when the Grindhouse version is released i will get that too.I have recently emailed grindhouse for a release date but nothing concrete at the moment !!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    click click and get if for free. (If you want to see it). Dont give the animal torturers more money. :o
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own, but animal cruelty and mild human violence notwithstanding, it's a truly abominable movie.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An abominably great film, and true cinematic landmark. Hope it gets the BR treatment it deserves, and looks more spectacular and seamless than ever, without any pointlessly restrospective censorship interference.
  • suzy somebodysuzy somebody Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Hold on can I just check? There is an uncut version on DVD already?