Man United Supporters Thread (Part 41)

1176177178179180182»

Comments

• Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Ive been saying it for years though! Im just not sure.

This is the first season where I've thought that Arsenal are seriously in trouble.

They're 2-3 injuries away from a disaster. Unless they bring a couple in, before the window closes, then I'd have them down for 6th.

Having said that, significant injuries to Carrick and Van Persie leaves us right in the sh*t, as well.
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/24/cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united-return-real

ronaldo apparently tells the club he would like to end his career at united

which is fine if its from now on but if its in 4 years whats the point
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    This is the first season where I've thought that Arsenal are seriously in trouble.

They're 2-3 injuries away from a disaster. Unless they bring a couple in, before the window closes, then I'd have them down for 6th.

Having said that, significant injuries to Carrick and Van Persie leaves us right in the sh*t, as well.

Yeah, thats true.

Everyone makes a big deal about Arsenal letting 17 players go but at least 12+ of these would never have played anyway.

I think both Liverpool and Spurs are mentally light too so even if they were challenging around Feb, there would be issues. Thats not their fault, its just the way it seems to prove to be. I think they would need to blitz it early on to still be there at the death.

We just need one top class signing for the midfield and a bit of a boost elsewhere but we all knew that last May, and as for the midfield we knew it in 2009.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to be reasonably outspoken (you may have noticed this, the mods certainly have! :D) and i tend to be right more than im wrong but i have to say you have done great business with Sturridge and Coutinho. I thought Sturridge would be playing totally for himself (he did at Chelsea, but maybe he felt he had to to keep his place) and that Coutinho would be a bit of style over substance and work in the PL. Been totally wrong so far, both have been absolutely excellent. They will cause any team trouble and if you have a dynamic attack you always have a good chance against anyone.

Sturridge was 'selfish' at Chelsea because they bizarrely insisted on playing him in wide positions. I felt he was cutting in and having cracks at goal to try and reiterate that he was actually a striker. Even after his very successful loan spell at Bolton, he was still used badly by Chelsea.

Up until his move to Chelsea, Sturridge was very highly regarded within football as I understand it - and not just in England - and broke many a record in his youth days. We are now reaping the benefits of actually playing him regularly in his best position.

So far for us, it's 12 in 16 with 5 assists. I consider that more of a measure of his sustained quality than the assertion of your famous stalker who infamously rated Grant Holt higher than Suarez.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/24/cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united-return-real

ronaldo apparently tells the club he would like to end his career at united

which is fine if its from now on but if its in 4 years whats the point

The words "end my career" and "Man Utd" should never appear in the same sentence for a potential signing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, thats true.

Everyone makes a big deal about Arsenal letting 17 players go but at least 12+ of these would never have played anyway.

I think both Liverpool and Spurs are mentally light too so even if they were challenging around Feb, there would be issues. Thats not their fault, its just the way it seems to prove to be. I think they would need to blitz it early on to still be there at the death.

We just need one top class signing for the midfield and a bit of a boost elsewhere but we all knew that last May, and as for the midfield we knew it in 2009.

But it's not going to happen, is it?

We might get Fellaini, and he would be a decent addition, but he's not a 'top class' signing.

Massively disappointed with our behaviour, this summer.
  • Options
    Forum Member

We might get Fellaini, and he would be a decent addition, but he's not a 'top class' signing.

Oh so am I. Im just sitting on it properly until the window closes then a go full on. Everyone said to judge it then so fair enough. Fabregas and Ronaldo could easily have just been stuck on a busy flight....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of winning the league, I'd agree with you. In terms of a top 4 finish, I think that both are well equipped to mount a serious challenge.

I'd be worried, if I was an Arsenal fan.

I'd agree too, even as a Liverpool fan - both our and Spurs' defence aren't the best and lack depth. But if both sides can keep the ball off the opposition, it may not as terminal an issue as it could be. Arsenal are no better, really, so 4th is going to be a fascinating subplot to the Premier League - as close as the top three positions I'd say. There's not much between Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs and I think home form against each other is going to be more crucial than ever before.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like no Ronaldo this summer, but next summer is a possibility.

http://www.theguardian.com/p/3t9hy/tw
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh so am I. Im just sitting on it properly until the window closes then a go full on. Everyone said to judge it then so fair enough. Fabregas and Ronaldo could easily have just been stuck on a busy flight....

Fair enough. I'll not give it out properly until it's closed, either.

I'm just pretty certain that no big signing is coming. I seriously hope that I'm wrong.

I'm also starting to feel fairly convinced that Rooney will go to Chelsea, after Monday's game, for around £30m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For how long have we been saying p, we only need one midfield signing?? It has been for far too long!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I'd agree too, even as a Liverpool fan - both our and Spurs' defence aren't the best and lack depth. But if both sides can keep the ball off the opposition, it may not as terminal an issue as it could be. Arsenal are no better, really, so 4th is going to be a fascinating subplot to the Premier League - as close as the top three positions I'd say. There's not much between Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs and I think home form against each other is going to be more crucial than ever before.

It's really hard to split yourselves, Arsenal and Tottenham, for me.

If I had money on it, I'd go:

4th: Spurs
    5th: Liverpool
    6th: Arsenal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. I'll not give it out properly until it's closed, either.

I'm just pretty certain that no big signing is coming. I seriously hope that I'm wrong.

I'm also starting to feel fairly convinced that Rooney will go to Chelsea, after Monday's game, for around £30m.

Id punt him too and id have done it long ago. He doesnt want to be here, let him go. If we have the ability to bring in the right players then it doesnt matter and we bloody well should have that ability.

What no one seems to understand is that if you dont want to play for us you shouldnt play for us. Simple as that. However it all gets bogged down in "Dont strengthen our rivals" simplistic nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Arsenal's late run last season (I think it was nine wins and two draws from the last eleven games?) coupled with Spurs' generous capitulation should have been warning enough that they can't play brinkmanship with CL qualification.

Yes, a RVP injury will dramatically affect United's chances, especially if Rooney leaves or goes into a sulky meltdown - it's a dependency United haven't allowed to happen very often in the last 20 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id punt him too and id have done it long ago. He doesnt want to be here, let him go. If we have the ability to bring in the right players then it doesnt matter and we bloody well should have that ability.

What no one seems to understand is that if you dont want to play for us you shouldnt play for us. Simple as that. However it all gets bogged down in "Dont strengthen our rivals" simplistic nonsense.

Exactly right. And anyone that complains about us letting Pogba go would do well to remember that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consider that more of a measure of his sustained quality than the assertion of your famous stalker who infamously rated Grant Holt higher than Suarez.

I am not a stalker, and I made one bad error of judgement, and it is held against me for life it seems, a bit harsh, okay I was wrong there, sorry about that. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really hard to split yourselves, Arsenal and Tottenham, for me.

If I had money on it, I'd go:

4th: Spurs
    5th: Liverpool
    6th: Arsenal

Arsenal's lack of squad depth could hurt them I feel, were they not playing a right back at centre half today??
    That might not have cost them today, but further on down the line, I feel that it will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not a stalker, and I made one bad error of judgement, and it is held against me for life it seems, a bit harsh, okay I was wrong there, sorry about that. :o

When you have to say that once a week its not really "one" error is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arsenal's late run last season (I think it was nine wins and two draws from the last eleven games?) coupled with Spurs' generous capitulation should have been warning enough that they can't play brinkmanship with CL qualification.

Yes, a RVP injury will dramatically affect United's chances, especially if Rooney leaves or goes into a sulky meltdown - it's a dependency United haven't allowed to happen very often in the last 20 years.

An RVP injury would affect us, but at least we would have Chico to come in, but our style changes when he is in the team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you have to say that once a week its not really "one" error is it?

It is hardly once a week, that is going a bit far really.
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member

we were apparently a one man team when cantona was there

when van nistelroy was there

when ronaldo was there

when rooney was the main man

and now when rvp is there

its happened a lot over the last 20 years. We do seem to win a fair amount of trophies for a constant one man team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An RVP injury would affect us, but at least we would have Chico to come in, but our style changes when he is in the team.

As you allude to, Hernandez is a totally different player and changes the way that we play.

We have become far too reliant on Van Persie, in my opinion.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,853
    Administrator
This discussion has been closed.