Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 41)

Comments

• Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope we can make at least one signing before the Community Shield. At the moment, it looks unlikely though.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Sounds reasonable to me tbh.

They can't really help if they're team mates aren't good enough, and if anything proves they don't need other top class players to help them raise their game.

I admit that it was a slightly petulant post, but Rodgers annoys me.

Van Persie is the best striker in the league, in my opinion. I'd take him over Suarez any day of the week. He also doesn't miss shedloads of games through suspension.

Bale is a different matter. He's a terrific player, but plays in a different position. Bale and Van Persie were the two best players last season, for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I really hope we can make at least one signing before the Community Shield. At the moment, it looks unlikely though.

Maybe not before the Community Shield, but I have a (stupid) feeling that either Fabregas or Ronaldo will happen.

I expect to be disappointed.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

PSG and Monaco will be dangerous in the Champions League this season. Still, I think if we sort out our midfield - we will be up there with Bayern, Barca and Real.

monaco are not in europe, they were playing in the second division last season. as for united in europe next season, i don't think it is just centre midfield that needs sorting out for us to be contenders again, the wingers are not good enough either and i am not sure we'll have enough in attack if rooney goes. i know it sounds negative but the standard in the champions league is extremely high right now, bayern, dortmund, madrid, barcelona, even psg have better players then us at the moment.

just look at what madrid have done this summer, they have signed isco who is a world class talent and bale looks to be on his way too, the standard in the champions league is so high right now and i don't think the likes of young, valencia, welbeck, cleverley will get the job done. united need to do what bayern did and spend big money on several established quality players, we have too many squad players rather then stars at the moment...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe not before the Community Shield, but I have a (stupid) feeling that either Fabregas or Ronaldo will happen.

If either of those happen, I will be over the moon. I won't lie though, I would be more happy about signing Fabregas simply because we're in urgent need of a quality creative, attacking midfielder like him. Ronaldo would enhance our already impressive forward line and take our attacking threat to another level.

God, I just wish our transfers didn't take so long :(. I'm bored to tears of waiting for something to happen :yawn:. My patience is wearing thin.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I admit that it was a slightly petulant post, but Rodgers annoys me.

Van Persie is the best striker in the league, in my opinion. I'd take him over Suarez any day of the week. He also doesn't miss shedloads of games through suspension.

Bale is a different matter. He's a terrific player, but plays in a different position. Bale and Van Persie were the two best players last season, for me.

Suarez was not in the top five best players for me last season, Bale, RVP, Mata, Cazorla, Benteke, and Michu, could all lay claim to having had better seasons.

I might get attacked for that, but I think that they all did for differing reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would love to either or in a dream world both to happen, but it would surely take some very high fees to do both!

Just like you though, disappointment surely is on the cards regarding those two, perhaps others might be more likely, Fellaini, Hernanes, or someone else?
  • Options
    law10law10 Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note to Brendan:

'Bale and Suarez were arguably the two best players, last season'.

Did either win the Golden Boot, or the Premier League title? No, thought not.

He's not wrong, though. They were the two best players, though others weren't far behind. If i recall correctly my top five at the end of the season were...

1) Bale
    2) Suarez
    3) Michu
    4) van Persie
    5) Zabaleta
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    law10 wrote: »
    He's not wrong, though. They were the two best players, though others weren't far behind. If i recall correctly my top five at the end of the season were...

1) Bale
    2) Suarez
    3) Michu
    4) van Persie
    5) Zabaleta

michu above van persie??? and why is zabaleta on the list, what did he do last season that was so great...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1) Bale
    2) Suarez
    3) Michu
    4) van Persie
    5) Zabaleta

Sorry, but there were players last season, that had rights to claim that they had better seasons than Suarez, it is hard to compare but I think that you have the wrong City player there, Nastasic was their best defender, not Zabaleta.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1) Bale
    2) Suarez
    3) Michu
    4) van Persie
    5) Zabaleta

Ooh, how controversial...
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member

1) Bale
    2) Suarez
    3) Michu
    4) van Persie
    5) Zabaleta

Michu surprising people doesnt make him better that a quality player behaving like a quality player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Suarez was the player of the year last season if we leave all biased opinion aside IMO.

He proceeded to pee on it from a great hight by his Silence of the Lambs impression though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michu had a good season, but to say that he was better than Van Persie is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Suarez is a great player, but I've always thought that he was overrated, especially by Liverpool fans. I think that anything above £40m for him would be demented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Suarez was the player of the year last season if we leave all biased opinion aside IMO.

He proceeded to pee on it from a great hight by his Silence of the Lambs impression though.

My opinion isn't influenced by bias. I just don't think that he's that good.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Sunday story

Chelsea are set to make a £40m bid for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, 27.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

This is funny cos I just saw on Sky News the front cover of the Star. I noticed a little pic of Rooney and it says 'Please don't sell me' begs Rooney'
    I think I'm missing something, here! I thought he was the one who wanted to leave and Moyes has said from Day 1 he's not for sale! So ... why he is allegedly saying Please don't sell me?! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My opinion isn't influenced by bias. I just don't think that he's that good.

I genuinely didnt aim that at you!! :D

Sorry!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I genuinely didnt aim that at you!! :D

Sorry!!

No worries, I didn't really take it as aimed at me.

Just stating my position.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suarez was not in the top five best players for me last season, Bale, RVP, Mata, Cazorla, Benteke, and Michu, could all lay claim to having had better seasons.

I might get attacked for that, but I think that they all did for differing reasons.

Benteke and Michu were nowhere near Suarez, in my eyes.

Neither was Cazorla. Van Persie and Bale were the only players that were better than him, for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No worries, I didn't really take it as aimed at me.

Just stating my position.

I wasnt a fan of Suarez on the pitch at Liverpool until last season, i really didnt buy into the hype, he missed far too many chances and was far too concerned with going it alone.

For the record i still think the above is true of him but he was playing in a team which lended itself to allowing someone to do that (Arsenal take note) last year.

However for a large part of last season he was brilliant and that cant be taken away. He started slowly bt for most of the season i dont think there was anyone better.

He ate defenders for breakfast.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Benteke and Michu were nowhere near Suarez, in my eyes.

Neither was Cazorla. Van Persie and Bale were the only players that were better than him, for me.

Benteke and Michu is again mistaking surprise for quality. I agree with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    monaco are not in europe, they were playing in the second division last season. as for united in europe next season, i don't think it is just centre midfield that needs sorting out for us to be contenders again, the wingers are not good enough either and i am not sure we'll have enough in attack if rooney goes. i know it sounds negative but the standard in the champions league is extremely high right now, bayern, dortmund, madrid, barcelona, even psg have better players then us at the moment.

just look at what madrid have done this summer, they have signed isco who is a world class talent and bale looks to be on his way too, the standard in the champions league is so high right now and i don't think the likes of young, valencia, welbeck, cleverley will get the job done. united need to do what bayern did and spend big money on several established quality players, we have too many squad players rather then stars at the moment...

Yep, I corrected that on the last page. I meant "in the coming years" rather than "this season".

As for our wingers, whilst there is room for improvement in the wing areas, we still probably boast one of the best sets of wingers in Europe. We musn't forget the quality Valencia has shown over the years - he just had one bad season, I'm not sure why so many fans are dismissing him now as he has been a beast of a winger for the past few seasons. Valencia deserves the benefit of the doubt.
    From what I've seen of Zaha - he will be great and a real handful for defences as a lot of teams in Europe do tend to struggle against pacey players like Zaha, but it remains to be seen whether he can cut it in the big stage. Nani is of course "Mr Mercurial", but I think the tournament structure of the CL favours Nani as he only has to play good in a few odd games a month and he showed that in his performance against Real Madrid before he was sent off. Whereas in the PL, he has to play week in, week out and he obviously doesn't have the mental capabilties to play good on a consistent basis and against lesser teams.
    Young is probably our weakest winger, but he's not a bad player to have as a backup and can do a decent job against lesser opponents in the CL Group Stage and PL.
    Also, you have Lingard - while it would be silly to expect too much of him this season, I think this boy has talent and I expect to see him featuring heavily in the smaller Carling Cup (or whatever it's called nowadays) and FA Cup matches. I wouldn't be surprised if Lingard leapfrogs ahead of Young in the pecking order this season.

Personally, I think we're okay in the wing areas for now. But I do agree that we should offload the likes of Young and Nani and bring in higher-quality wingers when the time is right. But it's not an area that urgently needs sorting IMHO. We are well-stocked in this area.
    Bayern, Barca and Real's wingers aren't all that better than ours - they're just more expensive. Alexis Sanchez - expensive flop. Angel Di Maria - expensive flop. Pedro - good player but I wouldn't say he is vastly superior to Nani or Valencia or Zaha. Bayern are the only team with some real top quality wingers - Robben and Ribery. Messi and Ronaldo aren't really wingers anymore so can't include them. Dortmund's wingers aren't that superior either - Reus is the only real diamond in that team.

And I don't agree Dortmund, Barca, Bayern, Real have a better squad/team than us. Sure, they have vastly superior midfields than us, but if you compare our defenders and strikers to them as I just did with our wingers - we're about the same. Though, of course, Barca and Real's star-studded front line is obviously superior to our front line, but we're not far behind. With respect, I don't think our team is bad as you're saying. Most of the current United team won the Champions League not too long ago in 2008 and also went to two more finals. We only need a few reinforcements in midfield and maybe another top centre-back (if Ferdinand and Vidic's injuries reoccur) to get back in the running for the CL. A forward signing like Ronaldo or Bale would be fantastic too and take our attack to another level, but these are luxury signings.

Our central midfield, on the other hand, is in urgent need of some creativity and defensive steel. This is by far our weakest area IMHO. We get overrun and ovewhelmed by top teams in midfield too often - this has to stop. Cleverley is a good player and I think he can do the job against decent opposition in the CL, but against the Big Guns such as Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, Real - he will get exposed. Cleverley is not the finished article - that much is clear.
    That's why we need Fabregas. Still, I think Cleverley could play brilliantly in a 3-Man midfield with Fabregas and Carrick. Cleverley alone is not going to improve our midfield.

Regarding Isco, while he is a top player and played fantastic in the recent Under 21s tournament - I wouldn't call him world class just yet. Let's see what he does at Real first. He has potential to be a world beater, but he isn't the finished article yet. I'm actually surprised Real signed him this early. Usually they go for established super-stars, not potential super-stars. Same goes for illarramendi.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQxb-CxCQAAhIMB.jpg:large

The Star story!
    The headline, anyway!

Love the £80m Moyes treble bid bit, for Fellaini, Fabregas and Baines! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasnt a fan of Suarez on the pitch at Liverpool until last season, i really didnt buy into the hype, he missed far too many chances and was far too concerned with going it alone.

For the record i still think the above is true of him but he was playing in a team which lended itself to allowing someone to do that (Arsenal take note) last year.

However for a large part of last season he was brilliant and that cant be taken away. He started slowly bt for most of the season i dont think there was anyone better.

He ate defenders for breakfast.....

More like lunch, I'd have thought.

As I've said, he's a great player. My problem is with some Liverpool fans, and Rodgers making out that he's on a par with Messi.

He just isn't in that class.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, I corrected that on the last page. I meant "in the coming years" rather than "this season".

As for our wingers, while there is room for improvement in the wing areas, we still probably boast one of the best sets of wingers in Europe. We musn't forget the quality Valencia has shown over the years - he just had one bad season, I'm not sure why so many fans are dismissing him now as he has been a beast of a winger for the past few seasons. Valencia deserves the benefit of the doubt. From what I've seen of Zaha - he will be great and a real handful for defences as a lot of teams in Europe do tend to struggle against fast players like Zaha, but it remains to be seen whether he can cut it in the big stage. Nani is of course "Mr Mercurial", but I think the tournament structure of the CL favours Nani as he only has to play good in a few odd games a month and he showed that in his performance against Real Madrid before he was sent off. Whereas in the PL, he has to play week in, week out and he obviously doesn't have the mental capabilties to play good on a consistent basis. Young is probably our weakest winger, but he's not a bad player to have as a backup and can do a decent job against lesser opponents in the CL Group Stage.
    Also, you have Lingard - while it would be silly to expect too much of him this season, I think this boy has talent and I expect to see him featuring heavily in the smaller Carling Cup (or whatever it's called nowadays) and FA Cup matches. I wouldn't be surprised if Lingard leapfrogs ahead of Young in the pecking order.

Personally, I think we're okay in the wing areas for now. But I do agree that we should offload the likes of Young and Nani and bring in higher-quality wingers. But it's not an area that urgently needs sorting IMHO. We are well-stocked in this area.
    Bayern, Barca and Real's wingers aren't all that better than ours - they're just more expensive. Alexis Sanchez - expensive flop. Angel Di Maria - expensive flop. Pedro - good player but I wouldn't say he is vastly superior to Nani or Valencia or Zaha. Bayern are the only team with some real top quality wingers - Robben and Ribery. Messi and Ronaldo aren't really wingers anymore so can't include them. Dortmund's wingers aren't that superior either - Reus is the only real diamond in that team.

And I don't agree Dortmund, Barca, Bayern, Real have a better squad/team than us. Sure, they have vastly superior midfields than us, but if you compare our defenders and strikers to them as I just did with the wingers - we're about the same. Though, of course, Barca and Real's star-studded front line is obviously superior to our front line. With respect, I don't think our team is bad as you're saying. Most of the current United team won the Champions League not too long ago in 2008 and also went to two more finals. We only need a few reinforcements in midfield and maybe another top centre-back (if Ferdinand and Vidic's injuries reoccur) to get back in the running for the CL. A forward signing like Ronaldo or Bale would be fantastic too and take our attack to another level, but these are luxury signings.

Our central midfield, on the other hand, is in urgent need of some creativity and defensive steel. This is by far our weakest area IMHO. We get overrun and ovewhelmed by top teams in midfield too often - that has to stop. Cleverley is a good player and I think he can do the job against decent opposition in the CL, but against the Big Guns such as Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, Real - he will get exposed. Cleverley is not the finished article - that much is clear.
    That's why we need Fabregas. Still, I think Cleverley could play brilliantly in a 3-Man midfield with Fabregas and Carrick. Cleverley alone is not going to improve our midfield.

Regarding Isco, while he is a top player and played fantastic in the recent Under 21s tournament - I wouldn't call him world class just yet. Let's see what he does at Real first. He has potential to be a world beater, but he isn't the finished article yet. I'm actually surprised Real signed him this early. Usually they go for established super-stars, not potential super-stars.

Fair play to you for explaining your opinions but, bloody hell.....
This discussion has been closed.