Options

outlast

RS_mark84RS_mark84 Posts: 602
Forum Member
✭✭
Outlast was confirmed to be launching on PS+ for the PS4.

All I've heard is that is going to be some form of survival horror? Assuming this is correct, I shall look forward to downloading it, lately there has been a decline in horror games.

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't know much about it then it the trailer, you know a bit was coming and I still jumped :)
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    Im actually scared to play this :o i saw some playthoughs online and my heart was racing! :D
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks great, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The beauty of this game is that you are unarmed. No way to defend yourself other than hide.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait! There's a shortage of good survival horror games.

Hope it's as nerve wracking as Condemned.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well.....what we thinking?
    Quite a bit of panic at battery on night vision mode.

When I achieved the first mile marker I thought I at least deserved a trophy, though the ding might have scared me more.

Reading around it takes about 4-6 hours to Get through it.
  • Options
    TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it any good Gilly?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like a creepy explore type mission. I thought the controls would bother me but so far Ok. Holding L1 isnt my natural run.
    If someone was to tap me on the shoulder while I was searching around id probably shit myself
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In going to play late at the weekend :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In going to play late at the weekend :)

Im the opposite. No way am I playing late.

Ps. Anyone adding to thread try not to give away exact details of any scares etc.
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think I have ever played a "Scarry" game, going to give this a go one night, lights off, home alone, should be fun or maybe not
  • Options
    SteptoeSteptoe Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Had a quick go, seem to be running around a basement in a blind panic! Where's the map? Lol...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No map...just old school remember where you're going I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This game is great, modern survival horror at its best

It feels like one of those text adventures from the C64 where you know something bad is probably in that room its pitch black and you know that something is in the area, do you leave or explore, only its obviously in 3D and you have control

Where as in the text adventure you'd have to type explore room, bring up light, hide in locker, in this you just do it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    The update patch for the Pulse Headset came at just the right time, been playing in the dark with the headset on.... Need a lie down now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worfthedog wrote: »
    ... Need a lie down now!

Lol. You're brave playing it like that.

Agree with above too on the text adventure.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    So in a nutshell then...

There's no weapons?
    If you get caught / seen etc you have to run and hide somewhere?
    You have to hope there is somewhere to hide before whatever it is catches you?
    If whatever it is catches you, instant death or can you fight them off?

Rinse and repeat?
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iv'e played this game a few times (PC version) late at night with lights out and using my cinema or headset for sound. Jumped out of my skin at times but none more so than wen the wife decided to hide behind the couch (bitch)lol. I'd went to the toilet and came back and sat down, picked up the controller and she tapped me on the shoulder. The controller got chucked 6 feet in the air as I flew off the couch and almost went head first into the tv :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming by a couple of above posts about the headset, using a headset gives you extra sounds to make the experience more intense?
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah you hear every little sound and because it's fed straight to your ears, so to speak, it's more realistic and like you said, intense.

Great game for jumps and makeing the hairs stand on end. Lol
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    So in a nutshell then...

There's no weapons?
    If you get caught / seen etc you have to run and hide somewhere?
    You have to hope there is somewhere to hide before whatever it is catches you?
    If whatever it is catches you, instant death or can you fight them off?

Rinse and repeat?

There is no fight back, you can only run and hide, it's not instant death if your caught, you can still run away.

Having played it on PC, there is never a situation where there is nowhere to hide or some other means of escape. Some thought is often required to progress, sneaking around enemies and hiding when needed is the name of the game.

There are lots of jump scares, but thankfully they're not predictable, the devs did a great job of placing the jumpy bits and resisted the temptation to over do it. The music and general atmosphere provides enough CHILL to keep you on edge, so cheap jump scares don't really factor in this game.

Anyway, it's free so just try it, you'll either love it or hate it lol.
  • Options
    ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming by a couple of above posts about the headset, using a headset gives you extra sounds to make the experience more intense?

some headsets can be quite expensive though.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest just using the TV speakers was good enough. The music and sound effects are brilliantly done. Even though I was expecting something to happen the timing of events still make you jump. Had to turn it off after ten minutes. Playing this on your own with a howling wind outside just before bed isn't the greatest idea!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're a reporter not a police officer, so is more realistic having no weapons.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is genuinely unnerving and makes you jump in places. Never been scared in a game before. A mate of mine was playing in the bedroom when he jumped so much he woke his missus up. She wasn't impressed.