Options

Susanna Reid "offered £1m to join itv"

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
Daily Mirror saying that Susanna Reid is being offered £1m to join itv breakfast show which would be a four fold increase on her current salary.

itv believe they have done enough to persuade her to present Good Morning Britain the replacement for Daybreak.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2554595/Susanna-Reid-offered-1million-quit-BBC-Breakfast-join-new-ITV-morning-show.html

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mail reports seems to suggest they are trying to pressure her to make a quick decision but we all know how accurate the Mail and Mirror are!

She could make a lot of money short term but could end up like Christine Bleakley and forever associated with another failed breakfast programme.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered who prestents it, I'm more worried at the fact they are calling it Good Morning Britain!

Did ITV just look at how Good Morning America has been?
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Morning Britain? So, will this not be shown in UTV land then? You know, because that isn't part of Britain...
  • Options
    Sirius CSirius C Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    The Mail reports seems to suggest they are trying to pressure her to make a quick decision but we all know how accurate the Mail and Mirror are!

She could make a lot of money short term but could end up like Christine Bleakley and forever associated with another failed breakfast programme.

Indeed, people don't watch ITV equivalent breakfast shows because of quality and ad-breaks.

As I predicted with Bleakley the BBC would just fish more talent from one of the regions. Same applies and ITV now have a big wage bill with nowhere to deploy it usefully.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    If there is any truth to this (it's the mirror and mail, only slightly more reliable than the Express), it would probably go down as yet another example of how much more people can earn on commercial TV than in a PSB.

And probably also end up going down as an example of how a successful presenter on one channel show, may not be enough to bring up the number of viewers on another channel.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was for somethong other than itv...
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, IF the reports are true, and IF she is asking for (or demanding) a programme of her own, then the BBC should stick to their guns, not magic up something in order to entice her to stay, and tell her to choose where she wants to be.

The ratings don't seem to indicate that she is a draw for BBC Breakfast (the ratings don't seem to shoot up on the days that she presents), so the BBC would lose little by letting her go. There are a number of other female presenters who can and do step in quite successfully.

And if ITV wish to throw a million quid at another BBC star in order to once again try to save an ailing or moribund breakfast programme, that's up to them. Much as I like Susannah, I for one would be unlikely to start watching ITV's breakfast programme just because she is presenting.

And if she wants to take the ITV money and risk going the way of Chiles, Bleakley, Aled Jones et al, that';s up to her.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Well, IF the reports are true, and IF she is asking for (or demanding) a programme of her own, then the BBC should stick to their guns, not magic up something in order to entice her to stay, and tell her to choose where she wants to be.

The ratings don't seem to indicate that she is a draw for BBC Breakfast, so the BBC would lose little by letting her go. And if ITV wish to throw a million quid at another BBC star in order to once again try to save an ailing or moribund breakfast programme, that's up to them.

And if she wants to take the ITV money and risk going the way of Chiles, Bleakley, Aled Jones et al, that';s up to her.

Hear, hear.
    (Trouble is there are too many presenters who get away with being on BBC AND commercial channels channels)
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't TV-AM call their programme Good Morning Britain?

I wont be watching. All ITV's breakfast shows are the same. Zelb guests and competitions, with the so called News Hour which is no doubt part of the remit. No weekend or holiday programming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Trouble is there are too many presenters who get away with being on BBC AND commercial channels channels)
    Many are likely to be freelancers (as is the case with Aled Jones). Whilst others will not have been given a golden handcuffs deal (such deals tend to inflate the salary of course).
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sirius C wrote: »
    Indeed, people don't watch ITV equivalent breakfast shows because of quality and ad-breaks.

As I predicted with Bleakley the BBC would just fish more talent from one of the regions. Same applies and ITV now have a big wage bill with nowhere to deploy it usefully.

I thought GMTV did rule the roost back in the days of Eamon and Fiona.

Ben Shephard would be a good choice he and Fiona were a great team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wont be watching. All ITV's breakfast shows are the same. Zelb guests and competitions, with the so called News Hour which is no doubt part of the remit. No weekend or holiday programming.

Look North (Yorkshire) journalist/presenter Ian White owns the rights to the TV-am logo not sure if he owns the rights to "Good Morning Britain".
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Money isn't anything.

At the BBC there are any number of options.

But if she goes to ITV it's Day(or)break.

Because, if it doesn't work out that's her career sunk.

3 years on 3 million- and then you don't get a new contract, and are finished- or stick with Auntie.

This is why the BBC do need to pay competitive (but not over the top) salaries.

Her BBC style wouldn't work on ITV.

It must be very demoralising for all the regional ITV presenters to know whenever there is a vacancy their bosses try to poach a 'known name' from the opposition.

It doesn't matter how many times they do it. it NEVER works.

The viewers might even warm to an unknown being given their first big break, rather than a big name signing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Money isn't anything.

At the BBC there are any number of options.

But if she goes to ITV it's Day(or)break.

Because, if it doesn't work out that's her career sunk.

3 years on 3 million- and then you don't get a new contract, and are finished- or stick with Auntie.

This is why the BBC do need to pay competitive (but not over the top) salaries.

Her BBC style wouldn't work on ITV.

It must be very demoralising for all the regional ITV presenters to know whenever there is a vacancy their bosses try to poach a 'known name' from the opposition.

It doesn't matter how many times they do it. it NEVER works.

The viewers might even warm to an unknown being given their first big break, rather than a big name signing.

If she gets a golden handshake then they would have to find her other shows like Chiles.

I suspect she would be expected to be on Loose Women and present the yawnsome one off special itv like to make on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Depends what she wants really.

She'll get far more money at ITV, but they probably won't know what to do with her. Like Chrissie Bleakly. She may well end up with no work, but a massive salary.

Or does she wasnt to work her current hours and actually work up gradually?
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member

They did but TV-am also had a programme called Daybreak.

So if Good Morning Britain flops what will they try next, Wacaday?
  • Options
    zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no. Here we go again. Will the idiots who run ITV never learn their lesson? They paid a fortune to entice Christine Bleakley & Adrian Childs to leave the BBC & now they are attempting the same with Suzanne. They just don't get it that advertising breaks and the shutdown of 'Daybreak' (or whatever they call it) for prolonged Christmas holidays as well as Weekends off just mean viewers will favour the BBC.

They have a huge pool of talent on regional stations that they could easily tap into without paying a fortune to pinch BBC staff. They just think that as BBC Breakfast has high ratings, then it must be due to the talented presenters. Absolute madness! If Suzanne was presenting 'Daybreak', will would not make any difference to the ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    Oh no. Here we go again. Will the idiots who run ITV never learn their lesson? They paid a fortune to entice Christine Bleakley & Adrian Childs to leave the BBC & now they are attempting the same with Suzanne. They just don't get it that advertising breaks and the shutdown of 'Daybreak' (or whatever they call it) for prolonged Christmas holidays as well as Weekends off just mean viewers will favour the BBC.

They have a huge pool of talent on regional stations that they could easily tap into without paying a fortune to pinch BBC staff. They just think that as BBC Breakfast has high ratings, then it must be due to the talented presenters. Absolute madness! If Suzanne was presenting 'Daybreak', will would not make any difference to the ratings.

Well apart from the pervy blokes who only watch Breakfast for a Sharon Stone moment which probably makes up a lot of the viewing figures, I wonder how much lower the viewers are when she is off?:p
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she gets it. I never watch ITV.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    They did but TV-am also had a programme called Daybreak.

So if Good Morning Britain flops what will they try next, Wacaday?

They aren't very imaginative with breakfast programme titles are they?

I suspect she's probably just using the ITV offer to get a London posting, perhaps replacing Kate Silverton on the main bulletins when she goes on maternity leave.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if she joins ITV she won't have to travel up to Manchester from London like she is at the Moment & will be able to spend more time at home with her Family
  • Options
    Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    She'll be leaving Breakfast and her religion show. They will need a replacement to opt in with Samira.

Anyway she can't leave. She's a fantastic presenter, very warm and friendly yet very smart and good at interviewing. ITV Breakfast just isn't for her where they take presenters, former sport stars, ITN staff etc.

Susanna is a journalist! She would loose "herself" just like what happened to Christine and Adrian (the latter doing quite good though!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Well apart from the pervy blokes who only watch Breakfast for a Sharon Stone moment which probably makes up a lot of the viewing figures, I wonder how much lower the viewers are when she is off?:p

As I said earlier, the ratings are pretty stable with or without her. Her presence or otherwise has no discernible effect upon the viewing figures.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Susannah rejects the advances of ITV, I wonder who they will try for next (as apparently they have no talent of their own- so an internal promotion is not an option).

Let them have Ellie Crissell.

Actually, I can think of one ITV bod- Emma Willis- but probably no good for the two or three days of the year ITV attempt to cover a serious story like a plane crash.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she will leave. With the BBC she is able to have the whole "news" bundle, decent interviews with political figures and actual celebs, real news stories, some fun stories and a good chemistry with her co-presenters.

A move to ITV will basically mean interviewing z-celebs, talking about hemlines and asking political figures "what their favourite dinner or colour is". For a person who seems very smart I think she would go mad after a few months. ITV morning shows are basically the "news-lite" morning programmes for people who don't really care about the news and are more interested with what is happening in "Made in *insert some part of the UK*" shows.