Options

Ugandan president to sign anti-gay bill.

ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Source here: http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/ugandan-president-planning-to-sign-horrific-anti-gay-bill-into-law

So, after consulting with this so called panel of experts, the Ugandan president is planning to make this bill law, so that the death penalty can apply to gay people.

Horrific bill and I genuinely fear for the people out there. It's frankly insane to even contemplate signing this into law, but with the help of certain Americans, this medical panel seems to have succeeded in convincing the president that sexuality can be 'unlearned.'

Comments

• Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is Africa
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    This is Africa

I'm not sure what difference that makes?

It doesn't make it any more acceptable, or any less horrific.
  • Options
    Phil_CoulthardPhil_Coulthard Posts: 2,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me, I think Nigeria did the same a few months back
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what difference that makes?

It doesn't make it any more acceptable, or any less horrific.

****ing huge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me, I think Nigeria did the same a few months back

Not that it's any better, but I don't think they included the death penalty.
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    ****ing huge.

It's a hangover from colonial times, I'm not sure that this attitude has always been prevalent.
  • Options
    MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source here: http://www.hrc.org/blog/entry/ugandan-president-planning-to-sign-horrific-anti-gay-bill-into-law

So, after consulting with this so called panel of experts, the Ugandan president is planning to make this bill law, so that the death penalty can apply to gay people.

Horrific bill and I genuinely fear for the people out there. It's frankly insane to even contemplate signing this into law, but with the help of certain Americans, this medical panel seems to have succeeded in convincing the president that sexuality can be 'unlearned.'

Why do you want to inflict your personal sexual preferences on Uganda?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meercam wrote: »

I don't want to inflict anything on anyone, I just don't believe people should be killed because of their sexuality. If anyone is doing any inflicting, it's the people who wrote this bill, who are inflicting their prejudice onto innocent people.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member

So you are ok with this disgusting piece of legislation?
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know a few devout christian types in this country who would quite openly tell you that among their congregation is a former homosexual who they "cured" through prayer.

If that kind of idiotic mentality can still exist in what is supposedly a modern well educated country like Britain then what hope is there for places like Uganda?
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

Sick backward homophobic **** >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    I know a few devout christian types in this country who would quite openly tell you that among their congregation is a former homosexual who they "cured" through prayer.

If that kind of idiotic mentality can still exist in what is supposedly a modern well educated country like Britain then what hope is there for places like Uganda?

Education is clearly the only way forward, but this bill would see you sent to jail for even attempting the conversation..

But yeah, I get your point. A friend had a psychiatrist tell him if he tried to be normal, he wouldn't suffer with bi-polar depression.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not my sexuality, and I think it's a disgusting piece of legislation.

Your use of the word 'inflict' speaks volumes.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member

I agree.

How dare people advocate that human beings should be treated equally under the law.

Damn imperialists.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You know it's a backward country.. They threw out thousands of Asians in the early 70s because Amin said that god told him to.

It's not just Uganda that hate gays but almost all Muslim countries.

Is there anything any of the other countries can do, SFA.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

How dare people advocate that human beings should be treated equally under the law.

Damn imperialists.

It might be their law. whether the world may disagree will have no influence on them.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    It might be their law. whether the world may disagree will have no influence on them.

It's still worth opposing it, just to make our own standards clear.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Troll alert.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Righto, explain to us why this law is a good idea.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still worth opposing it, just to make our own standards clear.

What are our standards? We allow, encourage and enforce discrimination on race, sexuality and gender in law in this country, we call it positive action but obviously that will have a negative effect on some.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    What are our standards? We allow, encourage and enforce discrimination on race, sexuality and gender in law in this country, we call it positive action but obviously that will have a negative effect on some.

Wow.

Well, considering the white straight man is still top dog in this nation by a country mile your definition of "discrimination" hasn't done much, has it?
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We have the death penalty for gays do we...blimey they snuck that one onto the books.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Righto, explain to us why this law is a good idea.

nobody thinks this law is a good idea. it is unequivocally a bad idea.

the point being made is that uganda is not subject to our values. we ourselves had not entirely dissimilar laws until not that long ago. the zeitgeist that is our current moral thinking is actually no more correct that it was 50 years ago or will be in 50 years time. where we are right now is arbitrary.

we don't have the right to control uganda or impose our current western middle class ideas on the rest of the world.

the way to change uganda is to engage with them. to bring them forward naturally just like we did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow.

Well, considering the white straight man is still top dog in this nation by a country mile your definition of "discrimination" hasn't done much, has it?

My definition of discrimination is accurate, what amazes me is how discrimination is promoted against individuals and is lauded as just and right. A white straight man as an individual has exactly the same rights as any person of any other gender, sexuality or race. But not in the UK. You are saying because some white straight men have practised discrimination that has had an effect on society we should punish all white straight men by discrimination, a bit like saying because some black men are criminal that has had an effect on society we should punish all black men.
    I thought each and every individual had a human right and should not be judged as part of any group either ethnic, sexual or religious?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    We have the death penalty for gays do we...blimey they snuck that one onto the books.
    No the comment was regards 'our standards' what are our standards?
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    What are our standards? We allow, encourage and enforce discrimination on race, sexuality and gender in law in this country,

We've actually done our best to stamp out such discrimination. It is certainly not "enforced" anywhere.