Options

Fish & Chips (Skin left on?!)

ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just been to the local chippy for the first time,and whilst they were delicious, they left the skin on the fish! I'm from up north and this was unheard of back home.
It's kind of put me off going back, and I thought it was good value at £6.30 for a large cod & chips. :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it's personal preference but the skin doesn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    £6.30 is rather expensive. I can get cod and chips for £1.99 from the chip shop to take away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £6.30 is rather expensive. I can get cod and chips for £1.99 from the chip shop to take away.

I could too in about 1976. :D I think the cheapest round here is about £8.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead-on £5 here for large Cod and Chips, £4.50 for large Plaice & Chips.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The skin will do no harm, it's nice just like chicken skin. Cheapest chippy round here is £4 for small cod/small chips, just enough (when you add 2 large slices Warburtons).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't cheaper and easier to make your own? :confused:
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    skin on chippy fish was one thing that filled me with horror when I moved from Lancs to London

Another one was the total absence of steak puddings and potato pies in the chip shops

I've been here for 40 years now and I still hardly ever go to the chip shop

Maybe once every 5 years I buy fish and chips......I've given up dismantling the fish and scraping the skin off. I just eat the whole thing
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just been to the local chippy for the first time,and whilst they were delicious, they left the skin on the fish! I'm from up north and this was unheard of back home.
    It's kind of put me off going back, and I thought it was good value at £6.30 for a large cod & chips. :(
    Why?
    Ask them for a skinless fillet. If they don't or can't do it then they're not a good chippy.
    If they will then you have the added bonus of knowing that the fish is freshly cooked and hasn't been sitting under the heat lamp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Why?
    Ask them for a skinless fillet. If they don't or can't do it then they're not a good chippy.
    If they will then you have the added bonus of knowing that the fish is freshly cooked and hasn't been sitting under the heat lamp.

I don't know, would just feel awkward asking them to take the skin off for me! :confused: I'll give it a try next time. Thanks :D
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

You'd know what was in it then too
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My chippy sells skinless cod. We sell a 7oz cod for £3 and a 10oz cod for £4.10. I took my parents to Brid for the day and they wanted fish and chips (I had Subway) it had skin on. It did not bother my mum and dad lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    I've moved all over and the only times I recall encountering skin on has been Whitby and Scarborough, and I wasn't too keen on it (made a mess of the batter), but wasn't too grim either.

Certainly not a common thing in London by my experience, and I have plenty chippy experience in London! :D
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With fish and chips it doesn't really bother me if there's skin or not, I don't think it makes any difference as you can hardly tell it's there. With other fish, it depends on the type. A nice piece of sea bass for example should be served with the skin nice and crispy.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

Are you sure it's cod?
  • Options
    Forum Member

What sort of fish was it? You say it's unheard of up north, but the Magpie Cafe leave the skin on their haddock:-

http://magpiecafeadmin.pearsonsdigital.co.uk/global/uploads/pdfs/Menu_Main_2013-Nov.pdf
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leaving the skin on is barbaric. I've never eaten fish and chips in London, apart from at a Harry Ramsden's outlet. That was a mistake and I can now see why they're called outlets.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    Leaving the skin on is barbaric. I've never eaten fish and chips in London, apart from at a Harry Ramsden's outlet. That was a mistake and I can now see why they're called outlets.:o

Depends on the fish. Like I posted, the Magpie, long considered to be one of the best fish & chip restaurants in Britain do it, as do Quayside in Whitby just voted best in Britain.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skin on is pretty standard round here, with a nice batter tastes much better. Price around £5 for a small cod and chip (still a decent size), £6.50 for a large one. Also do cod bits and chips for £5 I think and that is a pretty big portion.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people couldn't tell the difference between cod and pollock.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pretty certain it isn't cod at that price.

Fish and Chips normally are about £4.50 to £5.50 here, although some do a smaller lunch time portion for £2.50/£2.99
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My home town is Grimsby. Skin off or on, I don't care as long as it's Haddock. Cod? Dirty bastard bottom feeding sewer sucking horrible fish. Most goes down south, and they are bloody welcome to it.
  • Options
    Roni_JRoni_J Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually quite like having the skin left on. But I suppose that's what I'm used to.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    skin on chippy fish was one thing that filled me with horror when I moved from Lancs to London

Another one was the total absence of steak puddings and potato pies in the chip shops

I've been here for 40 years now and I still hardly ever go to the chip shop

Maybe once every 5 years I buy fish and chips......I've given up dismantling the fish and scraping the skin off. I just eat the whole thing

I was surprised by the skin when I first had fish and chips in the South, though I kinda got used to it. I missed the pies and puddings as well.

What upset me most was ordering a KFC and finding that they didn't do gravy - jeez that's probably the best thing about KFC ! :) Far too dry without.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty certain it isn't cod at that price.

Fish and Chips normally are about £4.50 to £5.50 here, although some do a smaller lunch time portion for £2.50/£2.99

It could be cod if it was a kiddies portion, but i doubt it will be a large adults portion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I don't mind the skin :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member

Oh naff off, lol.
    Unless you're joking...in which case ;-).
    Otherwise...yeah, naff off. :)