Can I connect my Hudl to Mifi?

sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can I connect my Hudle to Mifi and if so what one would I need and roughly what would be the cost monthly?
I know nothing about these things but I am fed up of paying virgin £28 (soon to go up £3) for BB as I dont use a home phone and I cant get their TV where I am.

Any help with this would be great, I just ask that you please explain in a easy way and not get to technical on me :blush::D

Comments

• scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can easily use the Hudl with any device that can create a wifi hot-spot, or a Mifi as you mentioned. What mobile phone do you have? If you have had a new phone in the last couple of years, there should be an option on it to create a wifi-hotspot. This will then use data from your mobile phone bundle.

Regardless of which method you use, Simply turn on the Hudl, search for WiFi and then connect to it by entering the password. It's super-simple.

:) Mark
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connecting as scooby1970 says is really easy.

However, before you go down this route, you should consider some points.

If all you do is occasional internet use without much data use (streaming videos eats data), then a mobile solution could be a perfect solution. and relatively cheap.

If you use a lot of data then:

1) Do you get fast 3g (or even 4G) reception in you home?

I struggle to get above 2-3 Mbps and it is quite variable often dropping below 1 Mbps which is rather poor). Ideally, you should be looking for a minimum of 5-8 Mbps. You can test using network speed apps from playstore (for android phones).

2)How much data will you use in a month.?

30 mins of BBC iplayer can use up to 1 GB.

Three offers unlimited data starting at £13 per month + 200 mins of calls. You can only connect a PC via a phone (tethering) on the one-plan from £20/ per month. Not sure if connecting a HUDL to a cheaper plan is an issue.

3) Have you tried to get a cheaper broadband deal?

Shop around - there are many deals cheaper then your costs, including free calls, and possibly a free youview box (not sure if this is still true).

In the end, a home broadband system will normally be more reliable than a mobile based one, and if you shop around, costs may not be that different.