Recent EE outage - what actually was the root cause?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
Had a look through the ping-pong of comment replies in this thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1949672&highlight=outage but still not wiser as to what their problem was

Comments

• d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    Don't know about causes, but I've heard that some customers have lost 3G again this afternoon.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With EE the root cause is always either incompetence or penny-pinching.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Don't know about causes, but I've heard that some customers have lost 3G again this afternoon.

Mines been down all day, pretty much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Folks don't bother answering if you can't cite a source - it's a waste of your time and mine.

This forum is full of anecdotes, good and bad stories, based on partial information and perception. stackexchange clear accepted answer approach it surely aint.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise every reply had to cite their sources :p. Have you given EE a call? That's better than getting speculation from here surely.
    Forum Member
    rjamesd wrote: »
    Folks don't bother answering if you can't cite a source - it's a waste of your time and mine.

This forum is full of anecdotes, good and bad stories, based on partial information and perception. stackexchange clear accepted answer approach it surely aint.

You do realise this is a public forum? People can post what they like, as long as it's legal...
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I blame Kevin Bacon.
  • nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will always be outages with any network, even the most worshipped EE.
    Forum Member
    nafanny29 wrote: »

Recently they have been the masters of the outage...
  • wiltwilt Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most worshipped?
  • AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Houston we have a problem...
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    My 3G is back today!

Source: I can see it, on my phone.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't you just love a self-appointed, pretendy Mod?.....NOT!
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Excluding the previous large outage. There will always be short localised outages.. How do you expect them to do upgrades and mast swaps or do people still want to be on 2G everywhere?

It's not a shock that with the fastest 4G roll out and the best 3G coverage by % that people have noticed a few outages.
    Forum Member

Was that planned outage?

I think all of the operators penny-pinch, only do as much as they think they need to, nothing more. There's only 4 of them, it's an oligopoly so not enough competition to encourage them to do more than what they are I would think - as nafanny says:

Agree!
    Recently they have been the masters of the outage...
    What nafanny says above, d123, none of them are immune I would guess.
    Excluding the previous large outage. There will always be short localised outages.. How do you expect them to do upgrades and mast swaps or do people still want to be on 2G everywhere?

It's not a shock that with the fastest 4G roll out and the best 3G coverage by % that people have noticed a few outages.

Agree, nafanny and The Lord Lucan though people do deserve to know if this is going to happen and if unplanned what went wrong?

Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Mines been down all day, pretty much.
    Sorry to hear that.

Bunions wrote: »
    Don't you just love a self-appointed, pretendy Mod?.....NOT!
    It just says "Forum Member" beneath my user name, that's all. I'm trying not to make a hobby of reading these forums - I just come here for information, knowledge and advice based on experience and/or facts. Do people still put NOT at the end of what they say these days? Haven't heard it for a while. Perhaps it's come back into fashion. I'm not that fashionable mind. :)

On a similar note...
    I didn't realise every reply had to cite their sources :p. Have you given EE a call? That's better than getting speculation from here surely.

You're free to say what you want of course but wouldn't you prefer your point to be taken more seriously and believed if you have a basis for it?

I'm not a user of EE at the moment but was considering moving to them. I was curious as to what the recent problem was to perhaps draw my own conclusion that it was hopefully a one off. When I have 'phoned EE on behalf of a friend's family member it took a long time to get though. Would have thought that they could have just put service information on their website and planned outages.
    You do realise this is a public forum? People can post what they like, as long as it's legal...

Yes I know, d123, you couldn't have made a more obvious comment! :)

I was warming to EE but when they said it was "Gremlins in the system" and I saw that they had posted a picture of Gremlins from the film on their twitter ( http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/19/ee_phone_network_uk_outage/ ) my impression of them was that this was a) unprofessional (given that many rely on their service for serious purposes) and b) patronising on the assumption that they didn't think people deserved a technical but plain English explanation.

I'll give my own answer to my question:
    - they were doing maintenance and hadn't considered all the risks of changes to their systems. It went wrong
    - An external dependency failed which they have no control of, e.g. a network that they connect to

(this is my own guess, I can't cite references because I can't find any so far)
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    My 3G is back today!

Source: I can see it, on my phone.

But where's your Harvard style referencing? talk about half a job :p
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    But where's your Harvard style referencing? talk about half a job :p

Also half a job to trawl through lengthly threads to get some useful info sometimes.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also half a job to trawl through lengthly threads to get some useful info sometimes.
    Maybe you should be directing your helpful observations to the Mods?

There's nothing your fellow FMs can do about lengthy threads apart from maybe not posting.

Re your comment about providing links - yes it's helpful to have links but it's not a requirement of posting on the site. You might have received a better reception and result, had you have asked nicely.

People tend to get pissed-off when they're told what to do by someone who has no authority in here....hence the tone of some of the responses.