Maria Miller MP...Go or Stay?

Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
Forum Member
✭✭
So yet another MP has been caught 'on the fiddle'. Nothing new there i suppose. >:(

Tory MP Maria Miller fiddled more than £90k in expenses over four years and apologises...:o...which apparently is good enough for Dave. Not so for other Tory MP's who want her gone. They are right too. She has committed theft, should have been publicly sacked and the SFO brought in.

Why is she still in a job and why isn't she facing charges?? :confused:

Anyone else would have faced instant dismissal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26911952

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's still in a job because they are all at it. That's why she almost choked on having to apologise to them. Yes of course she should go. Sweep them all away ................ they are a disgrace to the decent people they are supposed to represent.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    She and the rest of the expense-fiddling MPs are nothing but common thieves and should be facing a jury, let alone worrying about keeping their job.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Always baffles me why people seem to get tangled up in the technicalities of these issues when the fundamental issue is that she's proved herself to be untrustworthy and that should surely make her position untenable.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Anyone else would have faced instant dismissal.

Yup. At a company I worked for, someone was caught fiddling their travelling expenses and they were out the door.

This woman has been stealing from the tax-payers ... the very people she's supposed to represent. In addition, the issue of MP's expenses has been raised so many times that she can't even claim she didn't know about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    And our government has the nerve to criticise other countries for corruption. They're all at it.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    She should go and take that filthy Duncan Smith with her.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. At a company I worked for, someone was caught fiddling their travelling expenses and they were out the door.

This woman has been stealing from the tax-payers ... the very people she's supposed to represent. In addition, the issue of MP's expenses has been raised so many times that she can't even claim she didn't know about it.
    BIB is what grinds me even more, and we are talking a very serious amount here too. I want her in Court and sentenced to whatever the maximum is they can throw at her.

I'm glad to see that even other Tory MP's and Party members are not so deluded and feel exactly the same way.

She's nothing more than a common thief.

Sack her!
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And our government has the nerve to criticise other countries for corruption. They're all at it.

Indeed.

Maria Miller is a goddamn disgrace.

I don't understand why she isn't in a cell, awaiting trial for theft, misuse of public funds, corruption, fraud and anything else she can be prosecuted for.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone on benefits had swindled 90k they'd be absolutely vilified. You've only got to mention benefits and the attacks start.

She should be made to pay every penny back or face prison. Just as joe public would had they taken the government for 90k.

Same goes for every one else who has done similar. As for a job, her being sakes shouldn't even be thought about.

The women on benefits who accidentally had 50k put in her bank didn't get a slap on the wrist and get to keep the 50k did she? And that wasn't even her fault (yes she was idiotic for spending some of it but the initial mistake wasn't hers).

It's a massive joke tbh. As usual one rule for the rich, another for the poor.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At one end of the scale we have fairly well-paid MPs fiddling their expenses and at the other we have Benefits claimants getting up to 26 weeks with no money for sanctions.

The former don't know the meaning of the word 'shame' nor 'integrity' or 'honour.'

The likes of her inhabit a different world to the rest of us.

A world where being a teefing scally is acceptable so long as you move in the 'right' social circles.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Indeed.

Maria Miller is a goddamn disgrace.

I don't understand why she isn't in a cell, awaiting trial for theft, misuse of public funds, corruption, fraud and anything else she can be prosecuted for.

Because she's rich and has friends who are even richer. The law doesn't apply to rich people in the same way it applies to joe public.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has to go.

If I were caught stealing from my employer, I would be terminated (and rightly so) so I don't see why a government minister should be any different.
  • Jenny_AustinJenny_Austin Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    And only has to repay £6000!!!
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    If someone on benefits had swindled 90k they'd be absolutely vilified. You've only got to mention benefits and the attacks start.

She should be made to pay every penny back or face prison. Just as joe public would had they taken the government for 90k.

Same goes for every one else who has done similar. As for a job, her being sakes shouldn't even be thought about.

The women on benefits who accidentally had 50k put in her bank didn't get a slap on the wrist and get to keep the 50k did she? And that wasn't even her fault (yes she was idiotic for spending some of it but the initial mistake wasn't hers).

It's a massive joke tbh. As usual one rule for the rich, another for the poor.
    BIB......re-paying £90k would be 'small change' for her and totally effortless given she made over a million quid profit on selling the house she used her ill gotten gains to renovate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she should go. Remember when these scandals started many MPs of both parties payed back money and that was the end of it.

She has been investigated and the judgement was an apology and repayment of a few grand.

This gives a summary of MP that were found to have fiddled expenses, it's quite an extensive list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5297606/MPs-expenses-Full-list-of-MPs-investigated-by-the-Telegraph.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB......re-paying £90k would be 'small change' for her and totally effortless given she made over a million quid profit on selling the house she used her ill gotten gains to renovate.

That she will have to pay capital gains tax on as it wasn't claimed to be her home.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Yes she should go. Remember when these scandals started many MPs of both parties payed back money and that was the end of it.

Sadly, that wasn't the end of it! >:(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/8442756/MPs-who-repaid-expenses-got-money-back-in-secret-deal.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB is what grinds me even more, and we are talking a very serious amount here too. I want her in Court and sentenced to whatever the maximum is they can throw at her.

I'm glad to see that even other Tory MP's and Party members are not so deluded and feel exactly the same way.

She's nothing more than a common thief.

Sack her!

What about all the other MPs of all parties that did it before. Pay the money back and keep their jobs.

What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander.
  • SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't it show how much contempt these people have for those of us they purport to represent, when the most senior minister says that someone who is a proven liar, cheat, thief and fraudster has "done the right thing" and that a line should now be drawn and they should keep their job?

If anything was designed to say, we think you lot out there are stupid and your opinions don't count for anything, then this is it.

There are people in jail who have defrauded the benefit system of much less than this immoral woman. The people of her constituency should be clambering to have her removed as their MP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    Doesn't it show how much contempt these people have for those of us they purport to represent, when the most senior minister says that someone who is a proven liar, cheat, thief and fraudster has "done the right thing" and that a line should now be drawn and they should keep their job?

If anything was designed to say, we think you lot out there are stupid and your opinions don't count for anything, then this is it.

There are people in jail who have defrauded the benefit system of much less than this immoral woman. The people of her constituency should be clambering to have her removed as their MP.

Well the other MPs who did the same were just made to pay it back, some weren't even made to do that.

Here are a list of thieving MPs. you will notice that many are still MPs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8039273.stm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »

That's what she was told to do. I don't agree. she should have resigned but it's difficult for Cameron to sack her.

She may go in the next cabinet reshuffle though.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Well the other MPs who did the same were just made to pay it back, some weren't even made to do that.

Here are a list of thieving MPs. you will notice that many are still MPs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8039273.stm

That still doesn't make it right though does it?

The whole lot of them should have been out on their ear.

We are far too accepting of what is out and out theft and corruption. Some of these MPs should be behind bars.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    That still doesn't make it right though does it?

The whole lot of them should have been out on their ear.

We are far too accepting of what is out and out theft and corruption. Some of these MPs should be behind bars.

It doesn't. Where have I suggested it does. They should all have been sacked. Not sure they are allowed to sack them though.

Had I fiddled my expenses and been caught I would have been sacked, I never did though:)
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    'Welfare cheats will be forced to sell their homes and pay higher fines to reimburse taxpayers for the money they have wrongly claimed, under plans to tackle benefit fraud.

Hundreds of thousands of pensioners who fail to declare their full earnings from private pension schemes will also be targeted as fraud investigators trawl through HM Revenue & Customs records'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10747122/Benefit-cheats-face-higher-fines-and-losing-their-homes.html