rick182 wrote: »
    Whats the local accent in Nottingham?

Who cares?

They've got the prettiest girls!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    TheBilly wrote: »
    They say 'duck' a lot.

Us lot in Derbyshire are guilty of saying duck more then the Nottingham lot.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    We say duck in Northumberland too, mainly when we see a duck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    We say duck in Northumberland too, mainly when we see a duck.

but that's because round there seeing a duck is probably the most exciting thing to happen all day
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    Whats the local accent in Nottingham?

It's fairly similar to Derbyshire - and (according to University Linguistics departments) is the most neutral accent in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    It's fairly similar to Derbyshire - and (according to University Linguistics departments) is the most neutral accent in the UK.

And the most slovenly and lazy drawl...

ent i... (isn't it)
    doown cha (don't you)

My cousins are Nottingham girls, nice girls and then they open their gobs.........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    And the most slovenly and lazy drawl...

ent i... (isn't it)
    doown cha (don't you)

My cousins are Nottingham girls, nice girls and then they open their gobs.........

They only speak like that in Bulwell ' or Bu''ll as they pronounce it .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    And Bestwood Park ...
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Can't really describe the accent, but it's fairly distinctive. Newark and Mansfield also have different accents altogether.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    As a big fan of Shame Meadows films I find I'm quite fond of Midlands accents.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 'cob' means a bread roll, mi duck :D
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Can't really describe the accent, but it's fairly distinctive. Newark and Mansfield also have different accents altogether.

Without offence to people from there, I think Mansfield has one of the worst accents in the country... It horrid! :o:o
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    A 'cob' means a bread roll, mi duck :D

Don't even go there :D

My daughter had a long running discussion about what a cob was her first year at Uni :D Not to mention what 'baps' were as well - one lad used to go in the local shop and ask the girl to 'see her baps'.

I was impressed though that a Belgian girl knew a cob was also a male swan.
    Forum Member
    Without offence to people from there, I think Mansfield has one of the worst accents in the country... It horrid! :o:o

It's like a cross between Nottingham and Sheffield accents, with the negative parts of both lol.

Newark is like a posher version of Nottingham, but with the addition of random Romany slang lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    It's like a cross between Nottingham and Sheffield accents, with the negative parts of both lol.

Newark is like a posher version of Nottingham, but with the addition of random Romany slang lol.

I think it also depends on how you want to talk. I'm originally from Newark, and remember making the concious decision to try and talk without using the same words that my parents and siblings use - Waater- for water, Wok - for work, etc...

I live in Nottingham now and when I go to see my parents, (very seldom, even though its only down the A46), I am amazed that they all still talk like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    They only speak like that in Bulwell ' or Bu''ll as they pronounce it .

Lol yes Bu''ll is just like that! I've lived in Nottingham all my life, but sometimes when I hear the way some Nottingham people (usually from Bulwell, or Top Valley, Bestwood Estate, Basford), it just makes me cringe!
    Forum Member
    dodgydaz wrote: »
    I think it also depends on how you want to talk. I'm originally from Newark, and remember making the concious decision to try and talk without using the same words that my parents and siblings use - Waater- for water, Wok - for work, etc...

I live in Nottingham now and when I go to see my parents, (very seldom, even though its only down the A46), I am amazed that they all still talk like that.

I know a guy from Newark who's lived in Nottingham on and off for a few years and his accent has got more Nottingham like, whether that was a conscious decision I don't know, but it's certainly possible.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ey up me duck !
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's horrid?

Then has the nerve to say I have a bad accent. ;)
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Newark slang is like a complete new language - people from surrounding towns in Notts have no clue what they are rockering on about most of the time.
    Forum Member
    Menk wrote: »
    Newark slang is like a complete new language - people from surrounding towns in Notts have no clue what they are rockering on about most of the time.

Is your username intended to be an example? (If not then it's a pretty good coincidence lol)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your username intended to be an example? (If not then it's a pretty good coincidence lol)

Coincidence. :cry:

I found out a couple of years ago that people in the West Midlands used it, but I never had it down as Newark. Doylam or dimler are the Newark equivalents that I know of.
    Forum Member
    Menk wrote: »
    Coincidence. :cry:

I found out a couple of years ago that people in the West Midlands used it, but I never had it down as Newark. Doylam or dimler are the Newark equivalents that I know of.

Or "spesh".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or "spesh".

Or even radged! :D