Colin Baker,why oh why...

DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
Forum Member
...is that man not on our screens anymore?!?!?:mad:

He is such a wonderful actor. Tom Baker and Peter Davison both did other things but Colin just disappeared!

Bring the man back, there are so many official roles her could play. How about Law and Order, what a great Barrister or Judge he would play (ironically) considering his original chosen career!

Sorry, just a rant, move along,nothing to see here!!! :D

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought for a moment you were having a delayed reaction to The Twin Dilemma! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    50th?:):):)
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    pajs1000 wrote: »
    50th?:):):)

I don't think he would work actually appearing as he is today, like his namesake Tom, he has changed too much!:(
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    He's done a lot of audio and theatre work.
    Forum Member
    He's done a lot of audio and theatre work.

Yeah I know, but he should just be back on telly...Tom and Peter are, why not Colin:(
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I last saw Colin Baker in September 2008, in a play called Noises Off, in Newcastle.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know he was in Come Dine With Me at Xmas, didn't watch it though.

The last acting thing I remember him being in is a programme from the 90's called Sunburn with Michelle Collins in and he played a tourist.

According to IMDB he has been onscreen a few times over the last ten years, mainly in Doctors.......oddly enough! :D

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048346/

:)
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know he was in Come Dine With Me at Xmas, didn't watch it though.

The last acting thing I remember him being in is a programme from the 90's called Sunburn with Michelle Collins in and he played a tourist.

According to IMDB he has been onscreen a few times over the last ten years, mainly in Doctors.......oddly enough! :D

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0048346/

I briefly saw a scene of Colin in Doctors, he had collapsed, thought for one minute his character was going to regenerate...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    I briefly saw a scene of Colin in Doctors, he had collapsed, thought for one minute his character was going to regenerate...:D

You should have been more worried if he'd gone shopping for coats.......:D
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    ...is that man not on our screens anymore?!?!?:mad:

He is such a wonderful actor. Tom Baker and Peter Davison both did other things but Colin just disappeared!

Bring the man back, there are so many official roles her could play. How about Law and Order, what a great Barrister or Judge he would play (ironically) considering his original chosen career!

Sorry, just a rant, move along,nothing to see here!!! :D

Actually he is!

I caught the end of a home make-over programme on Channel 4 tonight. Then it showed a trailer for next week. A Dr Who fan seemed to be overflowing with Dr Who stuff, so it gets auctioned off - by Colin Baker. I don't know what time slot, because I wasn't really listening.

Here:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/qgd29/get-your-house-in-order--series-1---episode-6
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know, but he should just be back on telly...Tom and Peter are, why not Colin:(

Well, it's not a classroom where everyone has to get a turn. People achieve what they achieve on merit.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Well, it's not a classroom where everyone has to get a turn. People achieve what they achieve on merit.

Next you'll be telling us casting the Doctor on the basis of someone being witty at a wedding reception is a bad plan! :p

I say this often, but Colin Baker is arguably the best doctor in Big Finish. If only the Big Finish writers were there in 86. If only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw him in Sainsbury's last year ! I also went to see him in 'The Woman in White'.

He's doing a lot of theatre work touring up and down the country now as well as the Big Finish stuff.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member

As I try to remind myself whenever Fearne Cotton, Davina McCall, Chris Moyles or Martin Shaw hove into view.

Maybe theatre suits Colin better?
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    As I try to remind myself whenever Fearne Cotton, Davina McCall, Chris Moyles or Martin Shaw hove into view.

Martin Shaw is a talented and very accomplished actor in both theatre and TV. You can't lump him in with no-talents like them! :rolleyes:
    Maybe theatre suits Colin better?

A lot of older actors prefer theatre because it's what they originally trained for. A lot of them also don't like the way TV is made today and preferred the way it used to be made, which had a closer relationship to theatre.

I don't know whether Colin wants to do more TV or not. Only he can say. However, I think it's likely that Colin's sacking from Doctor Who in such a high profile way must have damaged his TV career to some extent. Which is sad.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's Tom been in lately, other than voice-overs for Little Britain? Monarch of the Glen is quite a few years ago. He's hardly a regular on the box these days.

I know Peter Davison's got one of the smaller roles in Law and Order.

Sylvester McCoy doesn't do much TV these days either. I suspect both Sylv and Colin have become somewhat damaged goods because they are associated - unfortunately - with the demise of Doctor Who in the '80s. If you don't believe me, listen to the comments about Sylvester from Alan Yentob and Jo Wright on the TV movie DVD documentary and how they didn't want him in it.
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I met him a few years ago... he misheard my name and thought I was named after a brand of soap :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I know Sylvester McCoy is going to be in the new Hobbit movies. I'll be grinning like a mad man all the way through too. :D
    Forum Member

I'm well aware of that thanks...I was referring more to the mans acting talent and presence rather than his 'turn'!
  • lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm well aware of that thanks...I was referring more to the mans acting talent and presence rather than his 'turn'!

I think most of us got what you meant, not quite sure how anyone could think you were referring to a "turn", but there you go.

I saw him on Doctors last year (well I watched it specifically because of him). I also watched "Come Dine with me" (because of him). Delightful Gentleman! I would love to see more of him on TV, so I agree. It's a real shame:(.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I last saw Colin Baker in September 2008, in a play called Noises Off, in Newcastle.

This is Colin's current project, touring from the end of next month. He does loads of theatre work these days: I also saw him in Noises Off a while ago (it's absolutely, 100%, the funniest thing ever written) and he was theatre's first Inspector Morse last year.

Keep eyes peeled for Colin, Ch4 on Apr 26th: "Get Your House In Order", helping a compulsive hoarder get de-cluttered, selling off some old DW stuff at a DW convention.

Jon Ross wrote: »
    What's Tom been in lately, other than voice-overs for Little Britain? Monarch of the Glen is quite a few years ago. He's hardly a regular on the box these days.

I know Peter Davison's got one of the smaller roles in Law and Order.

Sylvester McCoy doesn't do much TV these days either. I suspect both Sylv and Colin have become somewhat damaged goods because they are associated - unfortunately - with the demise of Doctor Who in the '80s. If you don't believe me, listen to the comments about Sylvester from Alan Yentob and Jo Wright on the TV movie DVD documentary and how they didn't want him in it.

Peter has just finished 2yrs in the West End, in Legally Blonde. That ought to have paid him quite well.

I did think Sylv was sneered at a bit in the TV Movie docco (which I watched just a couple of nights ago), but then that's just an example of how DW was thought of in the 90s. Things have changed.

Tom is, I think, happy to sit back at home and count his millions. he's knocking on now, and is quite content to make "eccentric guest star" appearances from time-to-time. I last saw him in an Agatha Christie's Marple three or four years ago.

Well, I know Sylvester McCoy is going to be in the new Hobbit movies.

I won't be bothering with The Hobbit (the first LOTR bored the arse off me and I didn't bother with the others), but that ought to raise Sylv's profile a bit. Sylv has done plenty of theatre (he also toured in Noises Off, about 5yrs ago), but has had some health problems. Great that he's got such a high profile gig now.

All-in-all, I'd say that the ex-Doctors' careers are all in rude health. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tom is, I think, happy to sit back at home and count his millions. he's knocking on now, and is quite content to make "eccentric guest star" appearances from time-to-time. I last saw him in an Agatha Christie's Marple three or four years ago.

The amount of money he must have earned from first of all the original Video releases and then the DVD's of his stories, he probably could have retired years ago. Add onto that the special releases like Shada and The Tom Baker Years, he's must be seriously minted!

On top of that, he has worked on loads of voice overs for adverts as well as for Little Britain. It must be because I avoid adverts as much as possible that I haven't heard him do any voice overs lately, don't know if anyone else has heard him do any though.

• allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen him on Countdown a few times, but I agree he needs a bigger Platform.

He's been good as a guest presenter on 'Have I got News for You'
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I think Tom has been regularly raking in serious dosh from adverts for years and years. Well before the barrow loads of cash from video releases started to arrive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Tom has been regularly raking in serious dosh from adverts for years and years. Well before the barrow loads of cash from video releases started to arrive.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply he suddenly started doing adverts after he left Doctor Who. I'm sure he had loads of work while still in the show and possibly even before. With that voice, it must have been easy to get work.