Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones

Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been wanting to see this film since it came out, but i haven't had the chance. And i'm not sure why and i hoped people here could help.

With movies i tend to wait until they come on sky premiere or sky box office so i can make use of the sky HD that i pay for. Thing is...The Lovely Bones has been on dvd for ages and i'm sure i haven't seen it on skys listings. Ever.

Have i missed it? Is there some reason why i can only find a crappy vanilla dvd version in asda?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    It's really not worth the effort. Read the book first and then get the dvd if you want to be angry and underwhelmed. Just like 'Time Traveller's Wife' this is an un-filmable story. I don't think there is a proper deluxe dvd release because I don't think it gathered much interest. I think vanilla has commenatry.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    I've been wanting to see this film since it came out, but i haven't had the chance. And i'm not sure why and i hoped people here could help.

With movies i tend to wait until they come on sky premiere or sky box office so i can make use of the sky HD that i pay for. Thing is...The Lovely Bones has been on dvd for ages and i'm sure i haven't seen it on skys listings. Ever.

Have i missed it? Is there some reason why i can only find a crappy vanilla dvd version in asda?

I liked it & yes I have read the book. I can see why people hate it though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the book, and really didn't enjoy it. I watched the film, and loved it.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just pick it up next time i'm out and settle my curiosity.

I'd get the book but i'm reading a howard marks one at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Probally be on sky around Jan time.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Soft take on child abduction. Simply misguided.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just watched this film on Blu-Ray courtesy of Lovefilm, and really enjoyed it.

However, I found the ending a bit frustrating cos to me, it was a bit of a cop-out since her body was never found, and the child murderer died by accident. This meant that her parents could never really come to terms with their daughters death since they could not see her body.

Nevertheless, there are some stunning scenes in it, and the blu-ray transfer is a delight.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Soft take on child abduction. Simply misguided.

You've summed up my thought on this movie exactly.
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't even finish the book, got totally bored by it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The film is an insult to the book.

And for some reason the editing in the movie is abosolutely awful? It's never been more obvious that big chunks of scenes were cut. I know the entire storyline with the mother and the dectective was removed but it feels like there is much more than also ended up on the cutting room floor. The final edition of the movie is just a jumbled mess of mish-mashed scenes, really.

Peter Jackson really buggered this one up, but I don't completely blame him as I think it's a book that would have always been impossible to translate to film in an appropriate, pleasing way, anyway. Still...it's like he didn't even try.