Options

Least funny comedians of all time

Comments

• Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Rupert Chubb, commissioning editor for comedy at the BBC and Perrier award judge. Don't tell anyone but I always choose the most unfunny and irritating people to be famous and popular comedians. It's part of my service contract to Satan, which all us BBC types have to sign.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    So pretty much every comedian anyone has ever heard of is the unfunniest of all time. If you ask enough people.

(I wonder how any of them manage to sell tickets to shows given their reputation?)

Rhod Gilbert wasn't mentioned! :p
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's why TV Burp was such an unpopular flop, of course!

TV Burp was a flop? Looking at what the viewing figures are they are similar to what a new episode of Celebrity Pointless gets in a similar timed slot (5 to 8 million.) Maybe in your opinion the BBC needs to drop the flop that is Celebrity Pointless?
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    Because he's funny. Unlike Macintyre. :)

He's funny? People have criticised Lenny Henry, Stephen K. Amos and Reginald D. Hunter in this thread for basing their entire act on 'being black' and using outdated stereotypes, yet Henning Wehn bases his entire act on being a German and using outdated stereotypes. If there were more German comedians living in the UK I imagine Henning Wehn would get a lot less work.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    He's funny? People have criticised Lenny Henry, Stephen K. Amos and Reginald D. Hunter in this thread for basing their entire act on 'being black' and using outdated stereotypes, yet Henning Wehn bases his entire act on being a German and using outdated stereotypes. If there were more German comedians living in the UK I imagine Henning Wehn would get a lot less work.

I find him funny, and finding someone is entirely subjective, so therefore in my opinion he is funny. And there's no other German comedians that I'm aware of so in that aspect he's also unique, offering a unique perspective compared to other comedians I'm aware of. He also plays with those stereotypes, rather than just living up to them, which i find quite clever. I also disagree with those opinions about Henry, Amos, Hunter, etc. and it's not an accussation that gets levelled at white comedians, that they're just basing their act on being white so i'm happy to dismiss such criticism of them. Comedians makes jokes about what they know, finding the funny in their own lives and situations, so you will always get an element of that anyway (Michael Macintyre - his entire act is based on being a middle class white man for example), it's just their situations are different to those of a white audience generally, and I imagine specifically to those levelling such criticism, but there's enough common ground in what they joke about for me to find it funny anyway. And if you disagree, please see my first sentence in this post.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    bbclassics wrote: »
    Reginald D Hunter as most of his material can be summed up by him saying 'hey i'm a black man'.
    I'm also not fond of Sarah Millican.

Having seen Reg live several times he does funnily enough mention he is black, a bit like other comedians mention they are fat or thin etc etc. He hardly fills his show with it though.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    TV Burp was a flop? Looking at what the viewing figures are they are similar to what a new episode of Celebrity Pointless gets in a similar timed slot (5 to 8 million.) Maybe in your opinion the BBC needs to drop the flop that is Celebrity Pointless?

Irony not your strong point?;-)
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irony not your strong point?;-)

*Sarcasm. ;-)
  • Options
    sturcolsturcol Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russell Brand.... /thread.

He's not actually a comedian is he?
  • Options
    sturcolsturcol Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To my mind, the worst comedian ever was Jimmy Cricket. He was not even he slightest bit funny. I don't find Joe Pasquale all that funny either. His voice puts me off completely.
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sturcol wrote: »
    To my mind, the worst comedian ever was Jimmy Cricket. He was not even he slightest bit funny. I don't find Joe Pasquale all that funny either. His voice puts me off completely.

Same here. Was it Cricket who wore those stupid wellies?
    Brian Conley irritates the life out of me, especially the gurning and pretending to be sozzled.
    Thankfully I've not watched his antics in years, but the kids used to watch his show on Saturday nights and we only had one TV, preventing me from putting my boot through the screen.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Same here. Was it Cricket who wore those stupid wellies?
    Brian Conley irritates the life out of me, especially the gurning and pretending to be sozzled.
    Thankfully I've not watched his antics in years, but the kids used to watch his show on Saturday nights and we only had one TV, preventing me from putting my boot through the screen.

It was;

......he had ‘R’ and ‘L’ painted on them in big white letters,..... yet he still managed to get them on the wrong feet;.......always cracked me up, that did. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Morecambe and Wise. The most flat, unfunny and vastly overrated duo in the history of comedy.
    I agree, I cannot stand them.

The Two Ronnies were far better.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom O Connor was a mixture of good and bad. Catch him telling a story about growing up in Liverpool and he was worth listening to, but give him contemporary material and he seemed to flounder a bit. That said, more than competent as a television host.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    sturcol wrote: »
    He's not actually a comedian is he?

Yes he is. Whether you find him funny or not is up to you, but he's definitely a comedian.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    I know . I find the character played by Leigh Francis very unfunny

He's a bit hit and miss is Leigh. I'm tired of Keith Lemon too, but there are occasionally very funny moments. I didn't like some of his characters, such as Avid Merrion and The Bear, but absolutely loved Craaaaaig David, Mel B, David Blaine and of course, the brilliant, bonkers Michael Jackson.
  • Options
    testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Miranda Hart .

I would rather die in agony than watch her shower :(

Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I can sit through a Michael Mcintyre show and not raise a titter.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The completely unfunny Hinge and Bracket, a pair of men dressed up as elderly upper crust women whose act seemed to pop up on Radio 2 and BBC 2 a lot in the early eighties.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    The completely unfunny Hinge and Bracket, a pair of men dressed up as elderly upper crust women whose act seemed to pop up on Radio 2 and BBC 2 a lot in the early eighties.
    To be fair, I don't think they were ever classed as 'comedians', as such, more a humerous light entertainment drag act. If you start including people or acts who include humour within their wider act, you could chuck in ventriloquists, magicians, impressionists etc as long as they tell jokes.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Frankie Boyle, Jo Brand, Russell Brand, Jimmy Carr, Michael McIntyre, Dave Allen, Billy Connolly, Sarah Millican, Rhod Gilbert, Alan Davies, Ben Elton. How's that for starters ?
  • Options
    Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of these threads, and there seem to be a lot of contributors who seemingly don't like comedy.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Les Dawson
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we laugh together, but each person is miserable in his/her own way (a quote) .......
  • Options
    Monkey TennisMonkey Tennis Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    There's a lot of these threads, and there seem to be a lot of contributors who seemingly don't like comedy.

I can't speak for anyone else but I love comedy, and have been to see many a standup over the years.
    The problem is that a) there are a hell of a load of bad comedians out there and b) a strange number of the bad ones seem to make it on tv and/ or have adoring fans who buy into them.

Now I know comedy is subjective but I try to appreciate different kinds of comedic genres from your observational types to your quick fire one line merchants. I tend to have an admiration for clever, witty incisive folk who have excellent comedy timing.

I'm sure we just did a thread on bad comedians but for me top of the 'how on earth does anyone find him even remotely funny or even likeable' has to be Russell Brand. If ever there was a case of the emperors new clothes it is that guy.