Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    MBNL mast serving Balmedie and surrounding area is down... Hoping it's a 4G upgrade but as 3 is also out, it's probably just a fault.

Not showing on EE or 3's status checker but EE confirmed via Twitter. Neither network appears in a network search.

Balmedie, Cruden Bay & Inverbervie will shortly be 4G :)
  • Options
    bookey_ukbookey_uk Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    *wonders* if the EE coverage map will be updated today ^_^

Not yet, soon...
  • Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookey_uk wrote: »
    Not yet, soon...

Why the delay? Are they adding lots of masts to it or something like that :o:D
  • Options
    ozzozz Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now, I wonder which mast is going to be upgraded???

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwwjHcHcp32ZUDU0MHhaNzFsUk0/view?usp=sharing
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »

All of them probably!! :D
    I get the feeling there is a big push going on now.
    They've done not much down here since finishing the Devon and Cornwall thin and crispy coverage roll out back in April.
    They now seem to be back again with 3 masts going on along the A38 in as many weeks.
    Not mine obviously.
    Clearly that one will be last.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Perhaps flick a switch and turn on 800 UK wide making the map go instantly solid 4G with no gaps and a note at the bottom saying "Supervoice, puppets?? Pah!!, look at this and weep, losers". ?
    Ok, maybe not.....
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The EE/3 site on top of the BT exchange seems the most likely to be upgraded for town centre coverage. 3 are showing a maintenance entry for the 14th October for Stamford so it seems it could be going live on my birthday!!

The map attached shows the mast locations, the EE/3 and ex-Orange mast to the east of the town are still in operation, The EE/3 site is a mast in a compound, the ex-Orange site is a mast on the roof of New College. It would be good if the 2G/4G will be going on the higher ex-Orange mast for better coverage but not holding out much hope of this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwwjHcHcp32ZU3ZfOFVuR192MVU/view?usp=sharing
  • Options
    Forum Member

Perhaps flick a switch and turn on 800 UK wide making the map go instantly solid 4G with no gaps and a note at the bottom saying "Supervoice, puppets?? Pah!!, look at this and weep, losers". ?
    Ok, maybe not.....
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Ok, maybe not.....

That's very Tom Alexander or Hans Snook... Not Olafs style. Unfortunately. :p

FYI... There would still be a gap around your house :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ozz wrote: »
    The EE/3 site on top of the BT exchange seems the most likely to be upgraded for town centre coverage. 3 are showing a maintenance entry for the 14th October for Stamford so it seems it could be going live on my birthday!!

The map attached shows the mast locations, the EE/3 and ex-Orange mast to the east of the town are still in operation, The EE/3 site is a mast in a compound, the ex-Orange site is a mast on the roof of New College. It would be good if the 2G/4G will be going on the higher ex-Orange mast for better coverage but not holding out much hope of this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwwjHcHcp32ZU3ZfOFVuR192MVU/view?usp=sharing

Red sites more likely than yellow..
  • Options
    Forum Member

Wishful thinking... no Delay, just the update frequency has slowed down, it does not mean the network deployment has slowed down.
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spotted the 2 arrows symbol in my status bar for the first time in a week or so again today, but again disappeared when I made a call and they haven't come back since...

Guess they're testing something, somewhere, but I can't actually use it :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Somebody's always testing something somewhere....
    I'm bloody testing my own patience right now....
    I mean this Windows 7 PC should upgrade to Windows 10 but no, generic key, no activation.
    Going to have to tell the customer they're screwed.
    Why am I doing this now?
    I mean I've just come back from the pub in Harberton (they had draught Bass on tonight) where for some inexplicable reason there is suddenly 3G at the bar that's usable.
    This is an 800 year old Church House Inn with thick walls.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.4144536,-3.7215529,3a,75y,19.74h,89.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sErh7TA_BMfFV-QbLezxnuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Gotta be EE 4G freeing up 3G so it actually works!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, you could tell I'd just come back from the pub with that post.
    Shame you can't delete rambling gibberish later..
    Haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's very Tom Alexander or Hans Snook... Not Olafs style. Unfortunately. :p

FYI... There would still be a gap around your house :D

If Snook was still in charge we'd have a colonically irrigated, chain smoking, leather jacket wearing crazy man running the show and probably 5G by now.
    But alas, there would still be a hole around my house!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, looks like 4G is on now in Stamford :)
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    If Snook was still in charge we'd have a colonically irrigated, chain smoking, leather jacket wearing crazy man running the show and probably 5G by now.

Is it wrong that I can actually visualise that? :D
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is Hans these days?
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can any device with Cat 6 LTE and the relevant bands make use of EE's 4G+?

I'm looking at Microsoft's Surface 3 and it looks like it can do LTE-Advanced so I'm interested in that if it does 4G+ or I can only achieve it on EE's list of devices?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe EE has any system in place to restrict usage based on IMEI (i.e. using a non-EE supplied device). You just need to be on a 4GEE Extra plan.
  • Options
    iampaulxoiampaulxo Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Can any device with Cat 6 LTE and the relevant bands make use of EE's 4G+?

I'm looking at Microsoft's Surface 3 and it looks like it can do LTE-Advanced so I'm interested in that if it does 4G+ or I can only achieve it on EE's list of devices?

You have to have any Cat.6 supported device and need to be on one EE's 4G extra contract plans to benefit although it's capped out at 100mbps which you can achieve on normal double speed 4G anyway (that is available even from entry level pay as you go and 100GB promo sims).
  • Options
    rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iampaulxo wrote: »
    You have to have any Cat.6 supported device and need to be on one EE's 4G extra contract plans to benefit although it's capped out at 100mbps which you can achieve on normal double speed 4G anyway (that is available even from entry level pay as you go and 100GB promo sims).

Are you sure there is a cap of 100Mbps? I usually do get under 100Mbps but tonight I got 104 ;-)

Screenshot: http://s4.postimg.org/nzjq4ajgd/Screenshot_2015_10_09_21_35_46.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get the odd one above 100 but put it down to the app not always being 100% accurate.

If I was to do 20 or 30 tests in succession (that uses a fair bit of data BTW!) then I'd expect all to be around 97-102 and maybe the odd spike. I'd still say that's a 100Mbps cap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iampaulxo wrote: »

I thought double speed was also a 4GEE Extra plan feature?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I get the odd one above 100 but put it down to the app not always being 100% accurate.

If I was to do 20 or 30 tests in succession (that uses a fair bit of data BTW!) then I'd expect all to be around 97-102 and maybe the odd spike. I'd still say that's a 100Mbps cap.

Do you know why they put that cap in place?
This discussion has been closed.