Options

The Laws Of The Internet

adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
Forum Member
✭✭
This article proposes 10 laws of the internet. I hadn't heard of them all by name but have definitely seen them all in action.

For example:

7. Pommer’s Law
Proposed by Rob Pommer on rationalwiki.com in 2007, this states: “A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6408927/Internet-rules-and-laws-the-top-10-from-Godwin-to-Poe.html

Are there any missing?

Comments

• Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The article isn't proposing, its stating, as it says they're immutable. I've so left myself wide open to have one of the internet laws thrown at me. :D

Can't think of one off the top of my head, but I do like number 10.

The Law of Exclamation
    First recorded in an article by Lori Robertson at FactCheck.org in 2008, this states: "The more exclamation points used in an email (or other posting), the more likely it is a complete lie. This is also true for excessive capital letters."

It is reminiscent of the claim in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels that the more exclamation marks someone uses in writing, the more likely they are to be mentally unbalanced.

According to Pratchett, five exclamation marks is an indicator of "someone who wears their underwear on the outside".

Everyone carefully checks their posts for excessive exclamation marks and capital letters.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the comments:
    I have one (which you can call "Decker's Law" if you really want to):

No matter how bad a misfortune someone has suffered, and no matter how clear it is that it was not a misfortune of their own making, once it hits an Internet message board there will be at least one poster (and sometimes several) who insists that it was the sufferer's own fault and that they had it coming, and that they are an prime example of what's wrong with whatever country they happen to reside in.

So true!
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could this be considered as one? I haven't seen it on the list, although I haven't read the comments section so it could have been mentioned. And I'm guilty of it myself.

Jumping in feet first, not reading any articles quoted or other posts and misinterpreting everything written.

What would you call that, Idiots Law?

(no funny jibes about GMOHs Law)