Do you have friends whose ignorance amazes you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You would think by now, after being friends with certain people for 20 years plus, that I would no longer be surprised by their attitude to certain things. What will never cease to amaze me is that these people have responsible jobs and are intelligent, yet come out with the most ridiculous things.

How I manage to bite my tongue half the time I do not know.

The latest thing is one was whinging about Diwali and how rude that 'they' decide to celebrate it on Guy Fawkes Night!

God give me strength!

Comments

• Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have friends whose stupidity amazes me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who has no idea about world War 2 or how it came about, Hitler etc....
    Now, I know that not everyone is a historian or expressess an intrest in world events, but come on!
  • AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh cool, a thread to slag our friends off.:D
  • Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    laska wrote: »
    I have a friend who has no idea about world War 2 or how it came about, Hitler etc....
    Now, I know that not everyone is a historian or expressess an intrest in world events, but come on!

Slap him/her
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    You would think by now, after being friends with certain people for 20 years plus, that I would no longer be surprised by their attitude to certain things. What will never cease to amaze me is that these people have responsible jobs and are intelligent, yet come out with the most ridiculous things.

How I manage to bite my tongue half the time I do not know.

The latest thing is one was whinging about Diwali and how rude that 'they' decide to celebrate it on Guy Fawkes Night!

God give me strength!

If you politely put your friend right then some good came out of his/her lack of knowledge. We all learn something new every day, we can't all know everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    If you politely put your friend right then some good came out of his/her lack of knowledge. We all learn something new every day, we can't all know everything.

I tried. He said Guy Fawkes Day has been around for longer. I pointed out (nicely) that wasn't correct and he didn't like being in the wrong. He is now going on about people forgetting how glorious Britain is and that Guy Fawkes Night is a British tradition. I think he may be beyond my help :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried. He said Guy Fawkes Day has been around for longer. I pointed out (nicely) that wasn't correct and he didn't like being in the wrong. He is now going on about people forgetting how glorious Britain is and that Guy Fawkes Night is a British tradition. I think he may be beyond my help :p

Pretty weird tradition if you ask me, "let's all celebrate the guy who tried blowing up parliment by burning effigies of him"
    Forum Member

Oh no, I'm not going down that road, it causes too much friction and deleted threads. :D
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm

I'm seeing an agenda here.......
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    Pretty weird tradition if you ask me, "let's all celebrate the guy who tried blowing up parliment by burning effigies of him"

We aren't celebrating. We are remembering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fireworks mean remembering? "now we are here to remem- OH look at the sparkly things in the skies" *drools*

i must be a Alien
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no agenda. I just wanted to vent my frustration with him. I also have a friend that lives in a bubble I think. She never knows anything about current affairs, or the news, however, is an expert on anything celebrity. Sometimes I think she must be pretending.
    Forum Member
    Hmmm

I'm seeing an agenda here.......

If it's the same one that I'm seeing then I'm glad I'm not the only one. ;)
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Remembrance Sunday could be spiced up with a few fireworks too.
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Remembrance Sunday could be spiced up with a few fireworks too.

I thought we already did, especially when the red vs white poppy debate starts. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    I thought we already did, especially when the red vs white poppy debate starts. :(

I was going to mention the white poppy earlier in the other thread but thought better of it! :eek:
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No..people like that never become friends or stay "acquaintances" very long.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cease to be friends with ignorant people
    Forum Member
    malaikah wrote: »
    I cease to be friends with ignorant people

There's more than just one definition of ignorant, if you take the one that means that your friend is lacking information then you'd be a true friend for educating them. If the other definition fits, that they're obnoxious and lacking manners then I'll agree with you, that kind of friend will find themself removed from my list but not the former. If I can educate then I'll be only too pleased to do so.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Fireworks mean remembering? "now we are here to remem- OH look at the sparkly things in the skies" *drools*

i must be a Alien

The fireworks signify the Gunpowder Plot .

Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
    Should ever be forgot..
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking about ignorance of friends. I had been really ill for ages when in 2004 I was dianosed with M.E. I told a friend I had it and her answer was that she also had it. I said that I didn't know that and she replied, "Well I get tired and I've got a pain in my knee".

I was appalled at this lack of understanding as anyone who has M.E. or knows someone who has it will know that it is a dreadful illness. It takes away all your energy and you are in constant pain all over. Needness to say, our friendship died out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just thought of more ignorance, but it sounds so silly, that I wonder if people will believe me. A relation of mine was watching a programme about Australia on T.V. and remarked that she had always wanted to go to Australia and it wouldn't be a long journey as it wasn't too far away!

Another time, we had just been on holiday to Cornwall and she asked me in Cornwall was in the north or the south. I had to ask her to repeat what she said as I found it hard to believe.

Then another time she said that when she ate out she always had a jacket potato and she loved them. She said that she wished she had the recipe for them so that she could make them herself.

I wonder how people like that get through life.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Talking about ignorance of friends. I had been really ill for ages when in 2004 I was dianosed with M.E. I told a friend I had it and her answer was that she also had it. I said that I didn't know that and she replied, "Well I get tired and I've got a pain in my knee".

I was appalled at this lack of understanding as anyone who has M.E. or knows someone who has it will know that it is a dreadful illness. It takes away all your energy and you are in constant pain all over. Needness to say, our friendship died out.

my fav (also have ME) was told to exercise as much as possible (which you've not to do) and when I explained this..the answer 'well u must be lazy then'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re having M.E. Someone said to me that they were going for a walk. They said did I want to come as it was only three miles and all on the flat. Sometimes I have difficulty getting down my stairs in the morning. I suppose she was trying to be friendly but only showing her ignorance.

Last year I lost my hearing through the nerve dying in my ear. A friend asked me why I didn't get it syringed so that I could hear again. I told her that the nerve had died and in any case it was behind my ear drum so it couldn't be syringed. She said that syringing always worked for her and walked away!
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

The celebrations were because the King survived and the plot failed. It's really very ghoulish when you think about it, throwing Fawkes onto the fire and all that.

You should read some of the accounts of the executions of the plotters (I remember doing this subject in history at school. One of the girls puked when the teacher read out the details :D). Being hung, drawn and quartered ain't a nice way to go. It makes some of the punishments that go on in certain hard-line Muslim countries look like pillow fights.