ITV Renews Deal With Ericsson - No DD5.1

popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
Forum Member
See here

The playout provider that will not upgrade its systems to support 5.1 surround sound, eve in 2015

Comments

• me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should that read "even in 2015"?

Could they upgrade in 2016 or a case of Ericsson not investing for cost reasons meaning no 5.1 forever (until 2024 at least)?
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    See here

The playout provider that will not upgrade its systems to support 5.1 surround sound, eve in 2015

They are a playout provider that provides facilities requested by client broadcasters. It's the client that requests and defines the facilities required.

Your post is a bit like saying Amey or McAlpine refuse to build a motorway from Cambridge to Norwich !
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV is a commercial broadcaster, it didn't go into widescreen until a significant number of its viewers had widescreen receivers. Very few people have 5.1 equipment at home so there is little point in them paying to make programmes in 5.1 (unless it is a co production or likely to sell well on disc) or transmitting it. 5.1 doesn't increase the number of viewers and advertisers won't pay extra for it. Although I have 5.1 myself, I only know two other people that have it. Almost everyone else I know just uses their TV speakers even if they are horrid, they aren't even interested in buying a sound bar or base, they certainly don't want six speakers in their room.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ITV live very much in the commercial world. If it hadn't been for the fact that many of their facilities were overdue for refurbishment they may not have bothered with HD as early as they did for the same reasons.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Amey or McAlpine refuse to build a motorway from Cambridge to Norwich !

I heard Carillion were doing that.;-)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV is a commercial broadcaster, it didn't go into widescreen until a significant number of its viewers had widescreen receivers. Very few people have 5.1 equipment at home so there is little point in them paying to make programmes in 5.1 (unless it is a co production or likely to sell well on disc) or transmitting it. 5.1 doesn't increase the number of viewers and advertisers won't pay extra for it. Although I have 5.1 myself, I only know two other people that have it. Almost everyone else I know just uses their TV speakers even if they are horrid, they aren't even interested in buying a sound bar or base, they certainly don't want six speakers in their room.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but ITV live very much in the commercial world. If it hadn't been for the fact that many of their facilities were overdue for refurbishment they may not have bothered with HD as early as they did for the same reasons.
    Funny then that Channel 4, a much smaller broadcaster with smaller budgets and fewer viewers (ergo, lower advertising rates), manages it.

And if we are quoting anecdotally, then there are plenty of people on DS who have 5.1 systems and soundbars. I have seen a number of posters complaining about the lack of 5.1 sound on BBC dramas as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See here

Where in that report does it state, or even imply that?
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Funny then that Channel 4, a much smaller broadcaster with smaller budgets and fewer viewers (ergo, lower advertising rates), manages it.

And if we are quoting anecdotally, then there are plenty of people on DS who have 5.1 systems and soundbars. I have seen a number of posters complaining about the lack of 5.1 sound on BBC dramas as well.

DS posters, as I'm sure you know, are not representative of the general public. The latest BARB figures show the audience for ITVs top show (Coronation Street) was 7 million, the audience for ITVHD was one million. Even if the ITV figures include ITVHD, six times as many people watched in SD as HD. The number who would have been watching in 5.1, had it been available, would have been insignificant. Most DS posters, including you and I, have and watch HD, some are buying UHD TVs. We are not representative of the general public but we enjoy what we watch.

I have never worked for Channel 4 so I don't know what their business model is based on, or if, being government owned, they feel they should follow the example set by the BBC.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are a playout provider that provides facilities requested by client broadcasters. It's the client that requests and defines the facilities required.

Your post is a bit like saying Amey or McAlpine refuse to build a motorway from Cambridge to Norwich !

Th A11 Trunk road improvement scheme...... bless it.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS posters, as I'm sure you know, are not representative of the general public. The latest BARB figures show the audience for ITVs top show (Coronation Street) was 7 million, the audience for ITVHD was one million. Even if the ITV figures include ITVHD, six times as many people watched in SD as HD. The number who would have been watching in 5.1, had it been available, would have been insignificant. Most DS posters, including you and I, have and watch HD, some are buying UHD TVs. We are not representative of the general public but we enjoy what we watch.

I have never worked for Channel 4 so I don't know what their business model is based on, or if, being government owned, they feel they should follow the example set by the BBC.

Its possible that C4's content is more skewed toward 5.1 than ITV's. C4's contenrt will include a considerable amount of bought-in material already with 5.1 ITV's content will
    include a lot of their own drama that would have to accept a huge uplift in production costs capture the 5.1.

It is however a pity that ITV don't have a facility to transmit 5.1, at least for films and sporting events. They obviously tested a business case for having a 5.1 facility on some of their channels on the Sky platform, but felt that the justification didn't stack-up.
  • red16vred16v Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    Its possible that C4's content is more skewed toward 5.1 than ITV's. C4's contenrt will include a considerable amount of bought-in material already with 5.1 ITV's content will
    include a lot of their own drama that would have to accept a huge uplift in production costs capture the 5.1.

It is however a pity that ITV don't have a facility to transmit 5.1, at least for films and sporting events. They obviously tested a business case for having a 5.1 facility on some of their channels on the Sky platform, but felt that the justification didn't stack-up.

You're right. ITV's research (when I worked there) showed there was no significant audience demand for 5.1.
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member

Channel 4 is a not for profit organization who struggle to break even, say no more
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Where in that report does it state, or even imply that?

It doesn't have to.
    TNS as they were before Ericsson Acquired them, made clear to ITV that they would not be upgrading the playout equipment when ITV wanted to make the transition to HD and 5.1 unless ITV footed the entire bill.
    While TNS invested in HD playout systems, that did not include DD 5.1 capable hardware because ITV were not prepared to pay for that out of their own pocket to then be used by others not paying for that upgrade (And rightly so)
    So thats why it doesn't have to say it.

As for the comment about there isn't enough people with 5.1 systems in their home...
    LOLOLOLOLOL :D:D
    As mentioned, Channel 4 makes use of the 5.1 sound track and on some commissions, requires it now!
    Channel 5 also 5.1
    BBC, when they can be arsed
    Sky requires it as part of its delivery standard.

Then we get to the biggest commercial broadcaster in the UK, ITV........
    One of their biggest shows, Downton, is produced and PP'd in 6ch audio yet viewers cannot enjoy that because ITV doesn't have the capability to transmit it.
    All of their US shows have it, yet wasted and recoded to 2ch stereo, all because Ericsson won't facilitate that upgrade!
    Its 2015, why is the UK broadcasting industry so far behind Europe and the US?

Rant over!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all because Ericsson won't facilitate that upgrade!

You still don't understand do you, ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... why is the UK broadcasting industry so far behind Europe and the US? ...

Can I point you to my post above, ITV's research showed there in no significant public demand for it.

There may be a demand from posters on DS for 5.1 but generally people posting here have an active interest in such TV matters like this, but the general public don't seem to.
    Forum Member
    You still don't understand do you, ?

I understand perfectly well, thanks!
    red16v wrote: »
    Can I point you to my post above, ITV's research showed there in no significant public demand for it.

There may be a demand from posters on DS for 5.1 but generally people posting here have an active interest in such TV matters like this, but the general public don't seem to.

Anyone can carry out market research and spin it into a 1000 different meanings, but the fact remains that if said research was as accurate, then why is 5.1 being required for delivery at more and more broadcasters?
    Can't be that low can it!? Or why pay for it!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand perfectly well, thanks!

Anyone can carry out market research and spin it into a 1000 different meanings, but the fact remains that if said research was as accurate, then why is 5.1 being required for delivery at more and more broadcasters?
    Can't be that low can it!? Or why pay for it!!

The same research said there was only a limited demand for 3D. Your thoughts on that research?
  • me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's no demand for 5.1, why do the other channels bother to provide it?
    Forum Member
    red16v wrote: »
    The same research said there was only a limited demand for 3D. Your thoughts on that research?

That was proven worldwide
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS posters, as I'm sure you know, are not representative of the general public.
    Quite, but you quoted anecdotal evidence:

Although I have 5.1 myself, I only know two other people that have it.

I did the same, and clearly said so.

The latest BARB figures show the audience for ITVs top show (Coronation Street) was 7 million, the audience for ITVHD was one million. Even if the ITV figures include ITVHD, six times as many people watched in SD as HD. The number who would have been watching in 5.1, had it been available, would have been insignificant.
    So all the more insignificant for Channel 4, but they manage to do it, with much smaller budgets and smaller viewing figures all round. Which was the point that I made. :)

Have you worked for ITV?

And let's face it, Channel 4 will likely have the same basic business model - it now relies on ad revenue, it is responsible for selling its own advertising space, it is funded purely from commercial activities.

http://www.channel4.com/info/corporate/legal/frequently-asked-questions-4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    Channel 4 is a not for profit organization who struggle to break even, say no more
    And yet, they seem not only to be able to produce dramas in 5.1, they have 5.1 playout facilities too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And let's face it, Channel 4 will likely have the same basic business model - it now relies on ad revenue, it is responsible for selling its own advertising space, it is funded purely from commercial activities.

They are but with (I think) one difference, they are a non profit organisation. I'm sure I caught a recent promo on C4, explaining that any 'profit' is injected back into programme making. Therefore the provision of 5.1 audio could well be a result of that re investment ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are but with (I think) one difference, they are a non profit organisation. I'm sure I caught a recent promo on C4, explaining that any 'profit' is injected back into programme making. Therefore the provision of 5.1 audio could well be a result of that re investment ?

Good point.

Although on the basis that 5.1 is supposedly not a major selling point, it could be asked as to why wouldn't C4 be ploughing those profits back into something that was more worthy or would be of wider benefit to its viewers. Whatever the reasoning, they are to be applauded for taking that stance.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    No 5.1 playout especially on a HD channel is lazy broadcasting imo, especially when you consider the content is mostly available on DVD/Bluray with multichannel audio.

Without checking, isn't ITV the only HD channel where 5.1 is totally absent?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point.

Although on the basis that 5.1 is supposedly not a major selling point, it could be asked as to why wouldn't C4 be ploughing those profits back into something that was more worthy or would be of wider benefit to its viewers. Whatever the reasoning, they are to be applauded for taking that stance.

Probably not related, as it was all 20 years ago, but they do have 'form' for
    introducing technical innovations. First UK broadcaster to launch a PDC service,
    and first and (almost only*) UK broadcaster to launch a PAL+ service.

* I think Granada carried a couple of PAL+ transmissions from Winter Hill in the 90s ?
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    I doubt the average ITV viewer would notice to be honest.