France v Ireland - Wednesday evening

Comments

• MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    Ditto. Dont worry mate, join me and support everyone else apart from england. England wont be doing anything special next year.

Yes - but we will still have all the endless build up and drama. And then the usual blaming everyone else when we lose to Portugal in the last 8.

Having Ireland there would have provided some light relief and distraction from the England melodrama. A real shame.

Still here's hoping Ireland may Euro 2012 - and are made 2nd seeds in their group.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Ditto. Dont worry mate, join me and support everyone else apart from england. England wont be doing anything special next year.
    The huge majority of the England fans have been supportive of you lot, yet you and that other moron a few posts above have shown about as much dignity in defeat as France did in winning.
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    who says ireland would've went through though, it would have went to penalties.
  • fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    He's even outdone Maradonna in the cheating stakes - which is an achievement! His 'hand of God' was at least on the subtle side, but Tel's ball juggling with his hand to stop the ball going out of play and passing it to Gallas to score was blatantly obvious.

So he's a blatant cheat and will always be known as one from now on.

In ten years time if you asked fans, as long as they weren't from Ireland, which of the two moments was worse in terms of cheating then there will be no comparison.

No he won't.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bad-beat wrote: »
    To lose like that, it is sickening.

If there is no punishment brought down on the French team or their FA, I have lost even more faith in FIFA.

These things happen all the time, with no comeback. Nothing can be done about it now.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Hard lines for Ireland.

Dont see why people are getting on Henrys back particularly. If Duff or Keane had done it at the other end it would have been "one of those things".

The ref had a great game and could easily have given Anelka a pen so its hardly a conspiracy!
  • redberryredberry Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Hard lines for Ireland.

Dont see why people are getting on Henrys back particularly. If Duff or Keane had done it at the other end it would have been "one of those things".

The ref had a great game and could easily have given Anelka a pen so its hardly a conspiracy!

Anelka took a dive looking for a penalty and the ref made the right decision there.
  • mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    who says ireland would've went through though, it would have went to penalties.

Not if Ireland had scored.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    mel1213 wrote: »

Yes, And if Ireland had scored after the French goal they would have won
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard lines for Ireland.

because he was the one who handballed to GAIN ADVANTAGE, leading straight to the french equaliser

THAT'S WHY

HE CHEATED
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hard lines for Ireland.

I can remember just over 30 years ago Scotland qualifying partially thanks to a handball , the guilty party ( Joe Jordan ) maintains to this day despite TV evidence that he never touched it.

Of course once we got to Argentina , I'm sure some would say natural justice took it's own revenge !!!

Every one of us would take such a decision if it went our way , we still moan like hell though if it goes against us - that's what being a football fan is all about !!!!
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    mel1213 wrote: »

but did they?:yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very mature considering almost all the posts in here have been pro Ireland, sounds like you just want an excuse to support anyone England play to me.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    If he didn't mean to do it, then why did he control the ball with his hand? :confused: Why didn't he just 'drop it to the floor'.

It didn't look like he was expecting the ball to come there at all meaning it just hit his hand the first time. The second time i can only assume with the ball about to go out of play he just reacted instinctively to try and stop it :(
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    fab cesc wrote: »
    In ten years time if you asked fans, as long as they weren't from Ireland, which of the two moments was worse in terms of cheating then there will be no comparison.

No he won't.

I'm not Irish, I'm English.

Henry's the biggest cheat I've come across after that tonight. As I said, Maradonna's was subtle, wrong though it was. Henry's was blatant.
    I'm sure he's proud of himself, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Bl**dy Cheese eating surrender Monkeys. :mad:
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Hard lines for Ireland.

Because it's Thierry Henry, one of the few footballers who commands an awful lot of respect throughout football, no matter who you support. He is intelligent, erudite and one of the true gentlemen in the game. An an Irish person, I am absolutely gutted at being cheated out of the World Cup, but I am also stunned that it was Henry who did it. I don't think I will ever be able to look at him the same again.
  • Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    fab cesc wrote: »

No he won't.

maradona is less of a cheat than henry. obviously maradona's will be rememebred more considering it was a quarter final of a world cup compared to henry doing it in the qualifiers. had henry did it in the quaters of the world cup then it would have been seen as equally worse.

IMO henry is more of a cheat than maradona
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    I'm not Irish, I'm English.

Henry's the biggest cheat I've come across after that tonight. As I said, Maradonna's was subtle, wrong though it was. Henry's was blatant.
    I'm sure he's proud of himself, though.

How the effing hell was Diego at 5 foot 5, going clean through on his own, jumping and punching the ball ahead of 6 foot shilton and then 8 years later failing a drugs test a MORE SUBTLE cheat??

Get a grip folks.
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No fuss really- yes it was a handball but Irish fans are only angry that their team failed to kill off the game when they had the chances.

I doubt Henry would've done it deliberatey- these things happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hard lines for Ireland.

Exactly. If the two options were going to the world cup thanks to a goal like that or not going to the world cup at all i know which one i'd choose. Its not particularly pleasant but doing whatever you can to gain an advantage when the stakes are as high as this is part of the game these days.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bitter pill to swallow and I wanted the Irish to win tonight.

But would I cheat to get my country to the World Cup Finals?

Yes - of course I would.
  • yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can ONE action make Thierry the "biggest cheat in history"? This sort of kneejerk vitriol and hatred just seems utterly wrong to me.

Yeah, what he did was wrong, but I just don't think it's fair to brand him as the worst in history.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    I get the horrible feeling Henry's just tarnished his entire reputation, and that the kneejerk reactions brandishing him as a cheat for life will soon take over. :(

That said, it's very disappointing to see a player of his calibre do something like that.

Henry has tarnished his reputation and will forever have the reputation of a cheat. If he doesn't like it, well he only has himself to blame. I personally am not too bothered but I know how the media/pundits/commentators/fans etc work.
  • Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    people respect maradona far more than they respect the cheating henry.
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    because he was the one who handballed to GAIN ADVANTAGE, leading straight to the french equaliser

THAT'S WHY

HE CHEATED

Im aware of what he did. The point is footballers seek to GAIN ADVANTAGE all the time. This just hapened to have more riding on it, if he did is so battantly then the assistant ref should have done something.

I feel really sorry for Ireland but starting threads wanting him to break his leg is well out of order.

And as i say, if it had been at the other end it would have been "naughty" but nothing more. That is the nature of the football fan.