Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Glad to hear dcdmfan's thoughtful question got on it. And MC had to think about the answer a bit.

Could someone please give us a summary of the thoughtful question and answer?
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Rick Steves show w/MC can be heard at http://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/radio and MC comes on at about 33 min. so you can fast forward to it and he's on for about 20 min. with interview and callers.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Largest-waves-world-hit-Cornwall-Wednesday/story-20550475-detail/story.html

Someone posted this on FB. Some damage apparently recently done at Port Gaverne, also, by huge waves.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Largest-waves-world-hit-Cornwall-Wednesday/story-20550475-detail/story.html

Someone posted this on FB. Some damage apparently recently done at Port Gaverne, also, by huge waves.

They say that they're the biggest waves in the world! Good luck to all those folks.....not a good time to be loitering on the Platt.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching Downton Abbey S4E5 this past Sunday and was struck by the fact that so little television viewing time is given for Mary Crawley and Tom Branson to interact with their children. If both of these children had one minute to be "on camera" I am generous in estimating the time. Julian Fellows ought to look in at DM S5 and S6 and see how well James Henry plays a part in the storyline, and how BP has found a way to make it work. I realize DA is about a family in the 1920's with enough wealth to hire full-time servants and a nanny but still this lack of warmth between Mary and her son and Tom and his daughter bothers me as they are the children of their deceased spouses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great picture of MC and CC on Facebook. They are going to be in an ITV production of "Arthur and George". It's the story of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and others with a strong plot line of Arthur and his first wife and his platonic love for another woman while his first wife was still alive. After the first wife died Sir Arthur has 3 children with his former "mistress" so all bets were off. Should be around sometime 2015. The picture that goes with the story is very sexy and humorous. Both of them are gorgeous!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Great picture of MC and CC on Facebook. They are going to be in an ITV production of "Arthur and George". It's the story of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and others with a strong plot line of Arthur and his first wife and his platonic love for another woman while his first wife was still alive. After the first wife died Sir Arthur has 3 children with his former "mistress" so all bets were off. Should be around sometime 2015. The picture that goes with the story is very sexy and humorous. Both of them are gorgeous!

Will CC play the wife or the mistress? I am thinking we should hope for the latter? :blush::p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Caroline Catz will play Jean Leckie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »

Is there a link someplace? I'm not on any particular page/group for DM or ITV on Facebook. Thanks.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Arthur and George" is a book by Julian Barnes. My local library has it, so once I can get myself out to the library, I plan to read it. Yes, CC plays the mistress Jean. You can read a review of the book by the New York Times online. It sounds like something MC and CC will excel in. We had yet another snowstorm last night, only this time it was a lasagna of a storm-- snow, sleet and rain. It's supposed to freeze overnight, and I don't feature driving on slick roads. As I am Aunt Ruth's age I have lots of very wonderful neighbors who look out for me. They did most of the shoveling this morning. I was out there for the previous storms as those were light snows with no weight but this snowstorm is heavy with water and sleet. And yes, I think about all you fans who live in the warmer climates who don't contend with this.
  • Options
    robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    I was watching Downton Abbey S4E5 this past Sunday and was struck by the fact that so little television viewing time is given for Mary Crawley and Tom Branson to interact with their children. If both of these children had one minute to be "on camera" I am generous in estimating the time. Julian Fellows ought to look in at DM S5 and S6 and see how well James Henry plays a part in the storyline, and how BP has found a way to make it work. I realize DA is about a family in the 1920's with enough wealth to hire full-time servants and a nanny but still this lack of warmth between Mary and her son and Tom and his daughter bothers me as they are the children of their deceased spouses.

It is the 'deceased spouses' that are really being missed. Lady Sybil especially. Hasn't been the same since she left...
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to let you know that I added a lot of links today to Portwenn Online. I get a lot of the links from the various FB sites and DS, so please keep them coming. I think the links area will be a good reference repository for all of these articles that people have found online. Besides the main links page, there are separate pages (online articles) for Doc Martin, MC (64 articles!), CC and one page for other cast members. There are also pages for audio and video interviews for both MC and CC. There aren't many there yet, but they will grow. Some of the new links are the Daybreak interview this week with CC (thanks Madara!) and the two recent radio interviews with MC (Rick Steves & the Nativity 3 BBC interview).

Don't forget to vote in Portwenn Survivor. The numbers are starting to drop now that some of the obvious episodes are gone. As I said before: We love them all, but we just love some a little less. I'm sure it will get harder and harder as we go on, but I think it is a good exercise so that we can put together a top to bottom list. What I am really excited for is to see what episodes end up in the top ten. I can think of a few that I suspect will be there, but I'm curious about the order. Hmmmm. Which episode will end up Number 1?

http://portwennonline.com/Links.html

http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    Is there a link someplace? I'm not on any particular page/group for DM or ITV on Facebook. Thanks.

No one has found the photo online yet, as the poster got it from the photographer, he said. It is at https://www.facebook.com/groups/DocMartin/ which is a closed group, so you probably have to ask to join, so just a simple step.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one has found the photo online yet, as the poster got it from the photographer, he said. It is at https://www.facebook.com/groups/DocMartin/ which is a closed group, so you probably have to ask to join, so just a simple step.

Thanks SusieS.....I'm just not up to speed with my iPad. Lizzie....I hope you get to see it.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »

The photographer has the picture on her Twitter page.

https://twitter.com/nickyJphoto
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »
    The photographer has the picture on her Twitter page.

https://twitter.com/nickyJphoto

Oh thank you Connie for sharing! What a good photo. I'm not on the Facebook group so I don't get to see some of this stuff. Like the others, it looks like I'll be seeking out the Arthur and George book. Any information out there about the movie other than the storyline and what characters MC & CC will be playing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    "Arthur and George" is a book by Julian Barnes. My local library has it, so once I can get myself out to the library, I plan to read it. Yes, CC plays the mistress Jean. You can read a review of the book by the New York Times online. It sounds like something MC and CC will excel in.

At least there's hope of MC and CC getting cozy in this production -- if we are to be deprived with CC as LG, then CC as "Jean" will have to do! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At least there's hope of MC and CC getting cozy in this production -- if we are to be deprived with CC as LG, then CC as "Jean" will have to do! ;-)

Hopefully, yes! MC & CC have great chemistry and I think the "Arthur and George" storyline lends itself more to that sort of "activity" more than DM :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is cold in the States, really cold, and snowy, and icy and I am sick of it. We have weeks of winter left and tonight on many PBS stations Doc Martin Series 6 hits the airwaves. Having watched it some time ago, and having the DVDs in my hot little hands, I can watch it anytime the urge strikes.

It is now February 2014. If there will be a Series 7, it will not start to film until March 2015. That production (assuming it happens) will not reach the telly until September 2015. In the USA it will not get here until Winter 2016... TWO YEARS AWAY!

I've got Series 1 - 6 at hand, there are plenty of FF stories to read (although I've read them all and written a few), and plenty of ways to while away the hours about DM on Facebook, this forum, and various email chains.

Now comes THE THING... If they do film a Series 7 it is said that that will be... "The End." Only eight more episodes (384 minutes total I figure) to go??

I'd like to think the Doc Martin could go on being made every two years ad infinitum. But it can't - it won't. We can't very well swap out Martin Clunes and Caroline Catz for two other actors, ala Doctor Who, can we? Would we want to?

Can MC be Doc Martin forever? Would he want to? Is there a danger of jumping the shark if that is attempted? Does Caroline Catz 'need' her role as Lousia Glasson as a break from the cop shows that she is so good in?

As timeless as Portwenn and her villagers might be, they do age, and the eternal summer of Portwenn does fade after a time.

Mrs. T said, "No! No! This isn't how the fairy tale is supposed to end!"

So here's to the show runners having major brainstorms of creativity in the next year so when (not if) Series 7 is made, we can be (dare I say it?) satisfied with what they offer. :)

Rob
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    It is cold in the States, really cold, and snowy, and icy and I am sick of it. We have weeks of winter left and tonight on many PBS stations Doc Martin Series 6 hits the airwaves. Having watched it some time ago, and having the DVDs in my hot little hands, I can watch it anytime the urge strikes.

It is now February 2014. If there will be a Series 7, it will not start to film until March 2015. That production (assuming it happens) will not reach the telly until September 2015. In the USA it will not get here until Winter 2016... TWO YEARS AWAY!

I've got Series 1 - 6 at hand, there are plenty of FF stories to read (although I've read them all and written a few), and plenty of ways to while away the hours about DM on Facebook, this forum, and various email chains.

Now comes THE THING... If they do film a Series 7 it is said that that will be... "The End." Only eight more episodes (384 minutes total I figure) to go??

I'd like to think the Doc Martin could go on being made every two years ad infinitum. But it can't - it won't. We can't very well swap out Martin Clunes and Caroline Catz for two other actors, ala Doctor Who, can we? Would we want to?

Can MC be Doc Martin forever? Would he want to? Is there a danger of jumping the shark if that is attempted? Does Caroline Catz 'need' her role as Lousia Glasson as a break from the cop shows that she is so good in?

As timeless as Portwenn and her villagers might be, they do age, and the eternal summer of Portwenn does fade after a time.

So here's to the show runners having major brainstorms of creativity in the next year so when (not if) Series 7 is made, we can be (dare I say it?) satisfied with what they offer. :)

Rob

Ah but for me the show has furnished a rich template for my imagination - I hope you and the other fan fiction authors can sate my DM affliction well after production ends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    Ah but for me the show has furnished a rich template for my imagination - I hope you and the other fan fiction authors can sate my DM affliction well after production ends.

Hear, hear! :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »

Well said, well said!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »

Rob

I'll join in and second your thoughts. I feel like I live in an ice cube tray and can always count on the fanfics and my DVD's to keep me warm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Speaking of which, is the fanfic site down right now? I am unable to open it on my tablet. Other sites are working fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Speaking of which, is the fanfic site down right now? I am unable to open it on my tablet. Other sites are working fine.

Www.fanfiction.net appears to have gone down about 6pm (est) today. That was around 1.5 hours ago.

It is back on line at 7:43!!!
This discussion has been closed.