Green Party Wants to Put the Queen in a council house - and so it begins!

123457»

Comments

• MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd be better of with Lucas fronting the media.

Bennett doesn't come across well
  • susiebsusieb Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Green Party leader Natalie Bennett currently being crucified by Andrew O'Neill on Sunday Politics.

The woman is either totally deluded or bonkers.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can see at the debates Farage vs Bennett over immigration, wonder who will win :D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    i can see at the debates Farage vs Bennett over immigration, wonder who will win :D

Obviously those who support Farage will think he has won, and those who support the Green Party will think Bennett has won. rolleyes.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    The Green Party really have appointed a bit of a chump in Bennett - they have a great chance in this election to take real advantage of the lack of faith amongst the left for Milliband - but they need an inspiring leader to make this happen.

Whatever you think of Farage - UKIP would be polling much, much lower if it was led by someone with Bennett's personality and stature.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Green Party leader Natalie Bennett currently being crucified by Andrew O'Neill on Sunday Politics.

I'm out of the house at the moment but I'll have to buy some popcorn for when I watch it on iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    The Green Party really have appointed a bit of a chump in Bennett - they have a great chance in this election to take real advantage of the lack of faith amongst the left for Milliband - but they need an inspiring leader to make this happen.

Whatever you think of Farage - UKIP would be polling much, much lower if it was led by someone with Bennett's personality and stature.

Personally I think the Greens should go back to having 3 spokes persons rather than a leader.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

Which just goes to show what sheep the GBP are.

Doesn't matter what the message is, just as long as someone charismatic enough says it.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    The British left and it's desperation for a saviour is hilarious. :D

First Blair was going to save us from the Tories. Then Brown was going to save us from Blair. Then Clegg was going to save us from Brown. Now that Clegg is a busted flush and Miliband is useless, the Greens are the new saviours.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    The British left and it's desperation for a saviour is hilarious. :D

First Blair was going to save us from the Tories. Then Brown was going to save us from Blair. Then Clegg was going to save us from Brown. Now that Clegg is a busted flush and Miliband is useless, the Greens are the new saviours.

Blair did save us from the Tories. Clegg (along with Cameron) did save us from Brown. This is all just a matter of politics evolving and times changing. Nothing seems particularly funny or "desperate" about it.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Blair did save us from the Tories. Clegg (along with Cameron) did save us from Brown. ....
    And in this coming election someone will be saving us from the coalition.
    Is there perhaps something wrong with this picture?
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    And in this coming election someone will be saving us from the coalition.
    Is there perhaps something wrong with this picture?

What would you say is wrong with this picture?I see passion not desperation.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Ever heard of compulsory purchase orders?! The government can take anything off you if it wants to.

Of course its silly - the Queen is independently wealthy and worth billions.

The point is this story is now leading on LBC and other platforms as being Green policy - given we know how it works expect headines such as Evil Aussie Green wants to see Queen out on the streets and Prince George homeless by tomorrow!

Its a distraction of course from their planned policy of building loads of new council houses - rather than all these ridiculous bailouts, schemes and handouts for developers we have now which are wonderful for their shareholders and bad for young people needing housing as they just push up prices even more.

Sorry, she is independently wealthy and worth billions, and I assume this wealth extends to her family.

And yet we are still paying for them?
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would you say is wrong with this picture?I see passion not desperation.

The whole 'needing to be saved from' idea. It suggests that no government should ever be in power long enough to do anything beyond undoing whatever mistakes were made by the previous one, which on reflection might actually be something worth enshrining in law...
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Sorry, she is independently wealthy and worth billions, and I assume this wealth extends to her family.

And yet we are still paying for them?

No, it doesn't extend to the whole family. Only the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh get money from the Civil List so that they can perform their duties.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    All students are naive to a certain extent. Ones who vote Green are just especially so.

I'd say that's a rather naive thing to say.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well obviously people need to have things to do things, such as cars to travel.

Those cars have been produced using land and resources that have been 'stolen' from others, by your logic.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Do the Greens expect to win any seat except Brighton Pavilion at the election?

I don't think they expect anything, but they do have high hopes for Norwich South, currently held by the Lib Dems with a small majority over Labour, along with a few other seats.
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    When she dies it will be inherited.

By the many not the few.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    No, it doesn't extend to the whole family. Only the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh get money from the Civil List so that they can perform their duties.

And the civil list is the payment made in return for the crown giving up some of its income to the state. If you do away with state money , the logic is they revert to keeping their own. And its as much their own as anyone else's money is .
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Let me just say that even though I don't personally care about whether the Royal Family is retained in a democracy we should have a chance to decide for ourselves.

I do not agree with the Greens just abolishing the monarchy anymore than the other parties just keeping them. A decision as big as this should be one decided by the public.

My feeling is that the public would vote to keep them and if they did then the Greens should accept that. I also feel their manifesto should detail a referendum rather than a straight abolishment.

There should have to be a regular vote to allow the monarch to have any powers or privileges. In Norway we had one referendum to vote in a monarch in 1905. Of course women couldn't vote then, so that was quite a lot of people left out of the process at the time. But now all those who voted are dead. Keeping the monarchy only because of that vote is necrocracy, not democracy.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04y8xtp/sunday-politics-london-25012015

Interview starts at 14.27

Why do the Greens think that being hectored by an Australian is what the British people want ??

She says quite clearly she is doing both debates - so good news - that's the Greens gone !!
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The Greens are also going to let al Qaeda and ISIS hold public meetings, conferences and openly recruit members in the UK - according to Five LIve. Like UKIP the Greens have really got the establishment worried - prepare for more trashing before 7 May.

Anyone want to discuss serious issues like how the Tories and Labour are going to cut the deficit and pay off our trillions of debt. No - the media dont bother with trivia like that anymore!
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    What a generalisation about young people.

Theres a very sound intellectual case for questioning the existence of royal priviledge or royalty per se.Plenty of sophisicated countries manage fine without a monarchy.

Annsyre said, "idealistic young students". It was specific, not a generalisation.

There are plenty of unsophisticated countries that don't have a monarchy either.

There is also a very sound intellectual case against having an elected Head of State/president.

Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK (including 14 other Commonwealth countries) most have monarchies and all, with the exception of Spain, have relatively healthy economies.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    Annsyre said, "idealistic young students". It was specific, not a generalisation.

There are plenty of unsophisticated countries that don't have a monarchy either.

There is also a very sound intellectual case against having an elected Head of State/president.

Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK (including 14 other Commonwealth countries) most have monarchies and all, with the exception of Spain, have relatively healthy economies.

The Queen has no real power - but the power the PM has via the royal prerogative to act without parliamentary approval is significant. In other countries in Europe with monarchies they are basically just for show.