Options

FA Cup 1st Round Draw

Comments

• Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did they revitalise it? What have ITV done that's the same and what should they have done? The competition has been a disappointment for about 10 years in my opinion and is less exciting than the Carling Cup no matter how it's dressed up on whatever channel.

BBC tried different kick off times including both Saturday & Sunday evening. It brought lost viewers back to the competition that had fled from ITV's awful coverage. Similar to the way ITV messed up their highlights coverage of the PL. Thank god MOTD returned.
    The shame is I doubt it will ever comeback to BBC and we are left with ITV's dross coverage of football.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly think if the FA were given the choice again now in hindsight between the joint bid between BBC and Sky Sports, and ITV and Setanta, they would go with BBC and Sky Sports.

The problem was for the FA is that they were like a kid in a sweet shop who wanted as many sweets as possible, without perhaps thinking it might be better to accept a lesser amount of sweets if you are guaranteed to get them!

Now that ESPN are guaranteed to pay sweets rather than Setanta who is to say that the BBC won't have a partnership with ESPN. It was Setanta silly money which they didn't have that meant the cup is now on ITV, and not anything the BBC did. You could probably rule out Sky as the FA did a silly deal with Setanta though.

I can't agree that in general the League Cup is now a better competition than the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    BBC tried different kick off times including both Saturday & Sunday evening. It brought lost viewers back to the competition that had fled from ITV's awful coverage.

Well, the main problem with ITV's coverage the last time they had it, in the late nineties, wasn't entirely ITV's fault, because Sky had first choice in every round, with ITV getting second choice, so they were left with lesser matches (they only showed Manchester United live twice in the four years of the contract, obviously including the year they weren't in it) in less convenient timeslots. Also, the BBC still had highlights rights, so the FA Cup looked a mess.

When it was back on the Beeb the FA gave them first choice, so the matches were always going to be better - and indeed the terrestrial channel in every deal since has had first choice - and therefore worth giving primetime slots. In addition that deal saw the Beeb show the first and second round live for the first time, which was a bit of a novelty, previously those rounds have only had highlights on terrestrial telly.

But the Beeb certainly gave it more publicity and put more enthusiasm into its coverage, that's true.
  • Options
    TRSTRS Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently ITV have confirmed the live screening of Southport v Sheffield Wednesday. Don't know the exact timings.

The Non-League Show reports a reliable source has indicated to them that ESPN will screen Cambridge Utd v Huddersfield.
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    There are also the angles provided by Vauxhall Motors and the Met Police (if they win their replay), and the possibility of the original Sheffield FC getting drawn against Sheffield Wednesday.

Presumably if Met Police ever have a tv game they get to choose the kick off time!
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    TRS wrote: »
    Apparently ITV have confirmed the live screening of Southport v Sheffield Wednesday. Don't know the exact timings.

The Non-League Show reports a reliable source has indicated to them that ESPN will screen Cambridge Utd v Huddersfield.

Looks like I could be off to the pub then. Looks like I won't be able to record it either, seeing as nobody I know has ESPN, as I always try and record our (Huddersfield) games to DVD.
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Round 1: ITV 1 match, ESPN 2 matches.
    Round 2: ITV 1 match, ESPN 2 matches.
    Round 3: ITV 2 matches, ESPN 3 matches.
    Round 4: ITV 2 matches, ESPN 3 matches.
    Round 5: ITV 2 matches, ESPN 3 matches.
    Round 6: ITV 2 matches, ESPN 2 matches.
    Round 7: ITV 1 match, ESPN 1 match.
    Round 8: Simulcast on ITV and ESPN.

Pick order: complicated but ITV also 'go' first.

Additional games up to and including ties in round 5 might be broadcast on FATV (i.e. the FA website).

Replays (if applicable) are shared between ITV, ESPN and FATV through rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 (no semi replays or final replay).

I wonder if ESPN will do the same as what Setanta did in 2009 and that is to show the final FTA.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    djonshore wrote: »
    I wonder if ESPN will do the same as what Setanta did in 2009 and that is to show the final FTA.

It was only FTV.

What'll be more interesting is if they go for the 9am start.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Setanta silly money which they didn't have that meant the cup is now on ITV, and not anything the BBC did.

Actually the BBC made the mistake of submitting a joint bid with Sky, when the tender document specifically told bidders not to bid jointly.
  • Options
    Mr NewshoundMr Newshound Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rochdale v FC United Of Manchester
    Friday 5 November
    Live on ESPN
    7.45pm kick-off

Cambridge United v Huddersfield
    Saturday 6 November
    Live on ESPN
    5.30pm kick-off

Southport v Sheffield Wednesday
    Sunday 7 November
    Live on ITV
    12.00 kick-off
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Rochdale v FC United Of Manchester
    Friday 5 November
    Live on ESPN
    7.45pm kick-off

Cambridge United v Huddersfield
    Saturday 6 November
    Live on ESPN
    5.30pm kick-off

Southport v Sheffield Wednesday
    Sunday 7 November
    Live on ITV
    12.00 kick-off

No surprises there, the expected three picks.
  • Options
    gilstagilsta Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    No surprises there, the expected three picks.

Except ITV deciding to put Southport v Sheff Weds up against Cardiff v Swansea on the Beeb.
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    gilsta wrote: »
    Except ITV deciding to put Southport v Sheff Weds up against Cardiff v Swansea on the Beeb.

Indeed, that is a bit odd. However, sticking it later in the afternoon would see a clash with Arsenal v newcastle or Liverpool v Chelsea.

I'd have thought they would have gone for a saturday lunchtime or evening slot for that, with Cambridge v Huddersfield on the sunday if needed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    Indeed, that is a bit odd. However, sticking it later in the afternoon would see a clash with Arsenal v newcastle or Liverpool v Chelsea.

But almost everyone will be watching the BBC, if they put it up against the sky matches, at least the non sky viewers would tune in and could see both matches live.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine there will be very much non-welsh interest in the Cardiff-Swansea match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    I can't imagine there will be very much non-welsh interest in the Cardiff-Swansea match.

Most NPC teams fans will watch it, its a derby, they hate each other and are 2nd and 3rd in the league.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flyer 10 wrote: »
    But almost everyone will be watching the BBC, if they put it up against the sky matches, at least the non sky viewers would tune in and could see both matches live.

They wouldn't put it on after the Cardiff/Swansea game (say, 3pm on ITV1) because then it'd clash with the Brazilian Grand Prix on BBC1.

They could have put it on Saturday lunchtime, though, where the only football opposition was a game on Sky (Bolton vs Tottenham I think)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    They wouldn't put it on after the Cardiff/Swansea game (say, 3pm on ITV1) because then it'd clash with the Brazilian Grand Prix on BBC1.

They could have put it on Saturday lunchtime, though, where the only football opposition was a game on Sky (Bolton vs Tottenham I think)
    I still think theyd get higher ratings clashing it the F1, not all football fans are F1 fans. however the BBC football game is clearly more attracting than the ITV one.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »

Well then broaden your imagination.
  • Options
    TRSTRS Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the AFC Wimbledon website, the ITV highlights will feature AFCW v Ebbsfleet, Fleetwood v Walsall and Harrow Borough v Chesterfield as the main games.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the AFC Wimbledon website, the ITV highlights will feature AFCW v Ebbsfleet, Fleetwood v Walsall and Harrow Borough v Chesterfield as the main games.

No Dartford v Port Vale?

(Well done them and particularly Swindon Supermarine tonight, incidentally.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    neilwatson wrote: »
    It wound be funny if Fc United got through to the 3rd round and played Man Utd. That would be fun.

No! No it wouldnt!!
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fleetwood v Walsall will be one of the extended highlight games. Clive Tyldesley has been pencilled in for commentary.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fleetwood v Walsall will be one of the extended highlight games. Clive Tyldesley has been pencilled in for commentary.

What makes you think that?
    Clive will actually be at a game featuring teams from the 4th and 7th tiers of English football.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how the FA Cup will fit round ESPN's Rugby coverage and how will they accommodate any replays?