Options

Been signed off sick for two months. Being on benefits isn't always wrong

Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
Forum Member
✭✭✭
(This got a bit long, sorry. Please skip if tl:dr, I just had to vent)

Some might remember me posting about getting a job in Sainsbury's over Christmas and being let go after four days because I couldn't cope with the pressure. I've always had mental health issues but things have taken a really bad turn again and I've been signed off sick for two months. I know people like to benefit bash here but I think it's important to remember that the system is there for people who actually NEED it. Yes, there are cheats, but there are also people like me who simply can't function within the social norms for whatever reason and for us these benefits are a vital safety net.

Today, I was diagnosed with phobic anxiety. You can bet I'd rather have a "normal" life with a 9 - 5 job and a place of my own, but it's a fact that I'm currently very unwell. Do you know what it's like to be 28 and ill enough that you aren't able to live a proper quality of life and then to be demonised all the time in the media and by the goverment? It's rubbish. Really, really rubbish.

This post is kind of an open letter to those who want benefits to be scrapped because of a portion of people who abuse the system. Please rethink your beliefs, and think before you have a go at everyone who is on benefits. Every claimant has a story and while there are the liars and the fraudsters who are an utter embarrassment, why judge every claimant by the bad apples? Why not look at the good things benefits do for people instead? It's sad that as a society we always race to the bottom when it comes to how we judge people and their situations.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    This post is kind of an open letter to those who want benefits to be scrapped because of a portion of people who abuse the system.

These people, the "libertarians" alike, are a selfish wealthy bunch who never knows what real sufferings are like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people don't have an issue with benefits for the genuine, it's with the pisstakers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anyone who wants benefits scrapped completley apart from the bully boys at Downing Street who secretly want to rip the shrits of the working class' back's :mad:
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I cant really say I have seen anyone wanting all benefits to be scrapped just those that are taking the piss.

You are not taking the piss, so what would your story show to these people? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    Yeah I cant really say I have seen anyone wanting all benefits to be scrapped just those that are taking the piss.

You are not taking the piss, so what would your story show to these people? :confused:

It's still an attitude that can put the genuine on edge, just 'cause that's what anxiety can do to your mind.

I mainly just wanted to vent, which I have done, but maybe even those who start the troll type bashing threads might think twice. I can dream.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people don't have an issue with benefits for the genuine, it's with the pisstakers.

Exactly - that is after all, why they exist, to help people in genuine need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still an attitude that can put the genuine on edge, just 'cause that's what anxiety can do to your mind.

I don't think people should not have the right to take issue with benefit fakers because it might upset genuine people such as yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    I don't think people should not have the right to take issue with benefit fakers because it might upset genuine people such as yourself.

Oh, I'm not trying to censor people - sorry if it comes across that way. I'm just simply asking people to think a bit more before they post on this issue...I don't see the harm in that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I'm not trying to censor people - sorry if it comes across that way.

Well no, sort of, not sure. I'm not thinking you are a bad person or anything like that, I just....I think you are taking it personally when there is no need. People mostly have a problem the people who are undeserving, not people who are genuine.

I guess what I am trying to explain (badly) is there is no reason to identify yourself as being in the group referred to in such threads.

Its like if someone said "I hate old men" and I said "I'm a man and I'm not old, why don't you like me?". I'm nothing to do with the group they were moaning about.

Anyway, I don't think I am explaining this well and I also know anxiety is not at all logical.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A life on benefits is the last thing the mentally ill should be on. It contributes to the problem.

Rather then learning to deal with "pressure" :rolleyes:, going on the "social" becomes the easy alternative. As with most easy solutions there is a down side. The very LAST thing someone who is mentally ill wants is to be stuck at home dependent on others. It makes the situation worse, and contributes to the problem. It breaks my heart to see what the welfare state has done.

Of course I am not suggesting that people should starve, which is why rather than "free money", we bring back working for benefit {not minimum wage, simply for benefit} for the long term unemployed.
  • Options
    thecharmingmanthecharmingman Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These people, the "libertarians" alike, are a selfish wealthy bunch who never knows what real sufferings are like.

Yes only people who have been on benefits have ever experienced 'real suffering.'....
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    A life on benefits is the last thing the mentally ill should be on. It contributes to the problem.

Rather then learning to deal with "pressure" :rolleyes:, going on the "social" becomes the easy alternative. As with most easy solutions there is a down side. The very LAST thing someone who is mentally ill wants is to be stuck at home dependent on others. It makes the situation worse, and contributes to the problem. It breaks my heart to see what the welfare state has done.

Of course I am not suggesting that people should starve, which is why rather than "free money", we bring back working for benefit {not minimum wage, simply for benefit} for the long term unemployed.

"Bring back"? It was never there. Having long-term unemployed is just as natural part of having millionaires within our economic system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was waiting for someone like you to crop up. Surprised it took this long, to be honest! Hope you feel better about yourself now you've got what bothers you off your chest.

Can I ask, have you ever been mentally ill or been close to anyone who is mentally ill?
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can predict when ever a benefit related thread is posted the same WUM's pop up
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Work can make mental illnesses worse.For some people it can be a way to escape your depression for 8 hours a day but not for everyone.

You try working in a job when you're struggling to cope with the pressure on top of the depression, and idiot employers who make out there is nothing wrong with you. You slowly go downhill until you're at the point of a nervous breakdown.

Long term benefits might not help in the long run, but for the short term while you're getting help they're a godsend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was waiting for someone like you to crop up.
    Yes, I suspected as much, but despite my fears I thought I would post anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work can make mental illnesses worse.For some people it can be a way to escape your depression for 8 hours a day but not for everyone.

You try working in a job when you're struggling to cope with the pressure on top of the depression, and idiot employers who make out there is nothing wrong with you. You slowly go downhill until you're at the point of a nervous breakdown.

Long term benefits might not help in the long run, but for the short term while you're getting help they're a godsend.

Exactly. For some people, being at home would be the worst thing possible to help them get well but for others it could be the one thing stopping them from spiralling to the point of no return.

I certainly don't want a life on benefits (but I'm not about to judge anyone who is a long term claimant apart from the obvious fakers) but if I'd continued with my current routine I don't like to think of what might have happened.

Mental illness and what is the best treatment can't be generalised. It can be wildly different from person to person. People who make sweeping statements about "sitting around at home" are simply ignorant, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I suspected as much, but despite my fears I thought I would post anyway.

I welcome different opinions and debates or I wouldn't have started the thread at all because obviously you are going to get disagreement whatever you post on the internet. But to act like you know what is best for every mentally ill person out there is going to lead to you being accused of ignorance, which I've done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would agree.

The last thing someone with Mentaly ill would want is the fear of "is this going to be my life from now on?". So as long as things are clear that "free money" is only short term, then that short time on benefits will be better for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about your illness OP.

I think the trouble is there is so much emphasis on the unworthy benefit scrounger that a stigma has been attached to anyone who needs to access welfare from the State in order to survive.

I think the worst idea in the world is to scrap benefits altogether, but there needs to be something put into place to ensure the people claiming are not trying to cheat the system!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But to act like you know what is best for every mentally ill person out there is going to lead to you being accused of ignorance, which I've done.

I do know what is best for the country, and handing out free money is NOT it. The proof can be seen up and down the country. At the same time of giving money, we are also taking dignity, this is the last thing mentally ill people need.
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do know what is best for the country, and handing out free money is NOT it. The proof can be seen up and down the country. At the same time of giving money, we are also taking dignity, this is the last thing mentally ill people need.

It is not free money,if you pay taxes before you claim.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you ever been mentally ill or suffered from depression? :confused:
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do know what is best for the country, and handing out free money is NOT it.. The proof can be seen up and down the country. At the same time of giving money, we are also taking dignity, this is the last thing mentally ill people need.

That's a mighty big claim.
    Seems to me that there are very few pople who do not get some sort of free money from the government. Is all of it wrong, every last penny?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Seems to me that there are very few people who do not get some sort of free money from the government. Is all of it wrong, every last penny?
    There are lots of people, who contribute more than they take.