Options

Joseph Kony Internet Campaign

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I notice the same enthusiasm for getting the LRA leader was missing when the operation to remove the Butcher of Baghdad from power was announced. I guess Saddam didn't kill enough children.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice Invisible Children/Liberty University have rolled out their legions on youtube to claim the above video showing the Invisible Children director Jedidiah Jenkins mocking the 'win' of a million dollars to go to Haiti is 'fake'... unfortunately Mr. Jenkins has such a unique name it's pretty easy to find plenty of pictures of Mr. Jenkins all over the net confirming it's him.

It really seems anyone can just set up a charity, rake in millions then claim the lions share of it for staff/computing/office but actually spend time drinking those ''running costs' away on some beach/nice loft apartment somewhere with staff (giggling girlfriend in background), and just chuck a few breadcrumbs to some dodgy dictatorship somewhere, get a few people to build a few straw huts and you're done.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Bump, for everyone that missed this last night

Thanks for the bump, I read the info on the way home. Utterly bizarre video.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, i think, the sense is "Ben Laden is dead, so, now we cant make money on him, let's create another villain and make money on him"

so, yeah, i still laugh at that materialism. at those t-shirts, at those useless things, its so american, you know.

Fact that Kony left Uganda 5-7 years ago makes me laugh a lot
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not going too well for this "charity" is it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    It's not going too well for this "charity" is it.

Of course, not. It's useless, they just want to make some money on attention of people
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    I notice the same enthusiasm for getting the LRA leader was missing when the operation to remove the Butcher of Baghdad from power was announced. I guess Saddam didn't kill enough children.

People recognised that removing an autocratic leader from power could cause more death and misery than leaving him in power. Sad though it is, sometimes such a leader is all that holds a country, with ethnic and religious divides, together. Look at what happened to Yugoslavia once Tito died. Arresting the leader of a child army is quite a different thing from deposing a country's leader and trying to impose an alien from of government upon it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Thanks for the bump, I read the info on the way home. Utterly bizarre video.
    I wonder how they got hold of it- presumably they weren't stupid enough just to post openly, so must have been private on their Facebook account and a friend leaked it.
    kimotag wrote: »
    Arresting the leader of a child army is quite a different thing from deposing a country's leader and trying to impose an alien from of government upon it!
    Come onnnnnn, I think it's pretty obvious they couldn't give a sh** about arresting someone who's probably dead, they were just a conduit for right wing US christian groups to spread homophobic crap in Uganda and other African countries in the little money they did pass over, the rest they kept for themselves to live the high life and probably channelled to Liberty University and other right wing Christian causes in the US. The sad thing is, you'll never know, as they don't let any independent auditing of their activities and have stashed the money away in the Cayman Islands.
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    I wonder how they got hold of it- presumably they weren't stupid enough just to post openly, so must have been private on their Facebook account and a friend leaked it.

Come onnnnnn, I think it's pretty obvious they couldn't give a sh** about arresting someone who's probably dead, they were just a conduit for right wing US christian groups to spread homophobic crap in Uganda and other African countries in the little money they did pass over, the rest they kept for themselves to live the high life and probably channelled to Liberty University and other right wing Christian causes in the US. The sad thing is, you'll never know, as they don't let any independent auditing of their activities and have stashed the money away in the Cayman Islands.

I wasn't disputing that the charity itself is questionable to say the least. The cause itself is a good one, although to my knowledge Kony wasn't the first or last person to build a child army!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimotag wrote: »
    I wasn't disputing that the charity itself is questionable to say the least. The cause itself is a good one, although to my knowledge Kony wasn't the first or last person to build a child army!
    But how is it a good one? He is most probably dead! If it was worth pursuing him or his followers, or if it was even the no.1, no.2, or no. 10 priority in Africa, other charities would be going on about it. They aren't as it isn't and hasn't been for about 8 years at least.