Options

I miss Sally Jessy Raphael on ITV2 :D

poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
Forum Member

I'm sure I'm the only one, but Jeremy Kyle does my head in. Sally was actually nice, her show funny and sometimes actually quite interesting!

Is she ever gonna make an appearance back on UK television maybe on a different channel? Or can you watch it online (no youtube as I've seen all them clips haha)

Comments

• Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen or heard of SJR for many years - she must be past retirement age by now! I can remember her and enjoyed her programmes. There was another American lady doing a similar show but I can't think of her name and she has not been on our screens for years.

Maybe ITV2 could dig out some of these shows (even though they may be old and out of date) and drop Kyle.

Or maybe show us more Judge Judy (where are the JJ progs. through 05/08?) and drop the awful towie!
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch SJR in summer hols/days off with my sister. This was in 2002/3 and even then some of the shows were dated...I remember one where there was an age gap relationship; the chap was about 18 and about to finish school, his girlfriend was 40 and the parents supported it!! It had a proper debate and the audience said their piece with the guest answering the questions. I think it was something like 1991!

It was not trashy, and a lot of her guests were respectable. Give me this anyday over the right-wing nonsense of Jeremy Kyle anyday.
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like Montel Williams - Yes some of those guests were like something in a rap video, but he had a manner in which it was no nonsense without being nasty.

The other ladies might be Ricki Lake - that was Springer-lite, but cool :D She came back recently, though is it worth the return? and Jenny Jones on SKY1 - Outrageous, but again she was no-nonsense without being nasty.

Give us Trisha back to ITV!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure I'm the only one, but Jeremy Kyle does my head in. Sally was actually nice, her show funny and sometimes actually quite interesting!

Is she ever gonna make an appearance back on UK television maybe on a different channel? Or can you watch it online (no youtube as I've seen all them clips haha)

I'm sure she feels your pain and misses you as well :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marianna01 wrote: »
    I haven't seen or heard of SJR for many years - she must be past retirement age by now! I can remember her and enjoyed her programmes. There was another American lady doing a similar show but I can't think of her name and she has not been on our screens for years.

Maybe ITV2 could dig out some of these shows (even though they may be old and out of date) and drop Kyle.

Or maybe show us more Judge Judy (where are the JJ progs. through 05/08?) and drop the awful towie!

They stopped filming SJR in 2002, but they showed it on ITV until 2010 ish, then it went and now we get none stop Jeremy Kyle urgh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like Montel Williams - Yes some of those guests were like something in a rap video, but he had a manner in which it was no nonsense without being nasty.

The other ladies might be Ricki Lake - that was Springer-lite, but cool :D She came back recently, though is it worth the return? and Jenny Jones on SKY1 - Outrageous, but again she was no-nonsense without being nasty.

They stopped filming SJR in 2002, but they showed it on ITV until 2010 ish, then it went and now we get none stop Jeremy Kyle urgh

Yes, Ricki Lake - that was the other lady I was trying to remember - where is she now?

Trisha - I didn't see her shows as I was working then. I think now she is in the US doing a similar thing to Kyle (or did she go there first?) I really don't think the USA need either of them. :)
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny Jones show was pulled, when it had a show devoted to secret lovers and, to cut a long story short, one guy discovered that he had a secret gay lover and it ended up in murder!!

SJR has retired now.
    Rickki Lake has a new chat show, in a new format, which is shown on FOX, but a few months ago it was cancelled in the USA.
    Montel Williams show is cancelled as well, and anyway he does other things now, particularly a lot of charity and motivational stuff, to do with MS, of which he suffers from.
    Geraldo Rivera used to have a chat show, but now he is a correspondent for Fox News.
    Jerry Springer is still going on the chat show circuit, albeit a different format.

Wow!! All these really bring back memories for me!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was always my favourite too, he never went overboard with the guests. Jeremy Kyle should look and learn
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    I remember Montel's guests tended to be really depressing ones, rather than just daft odd people. There was one about depressed lonely teenagers which just had me sobbing, and then one episode where he had to stop himself from crying. But then there were some light ones, about people's odd food habits etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Jenny Jones show was pulled, when it had a show devoted to secret lovers and, to cut a long story short, one guy discovered that he had a secret gay lover and it ended up in murder!!

That show happened in 1995, and the show was pulled in 2003 due to low ratings :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That show happened in 1995, and the show was pulled in 2003 due to low ratings :(

I have never heard of Jenny Jones - which channel was her show on? All the other names mentioned here I have watched at some time over the years but not Jenny Jones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marianna01 wrote: »
    I have never heard of Jenny Jones - which channel was her show on? All the other names mentioned here I have watched at some time over the years but not Jenny Jones.

It might have shown on Sky1 at some point but other than that I don't think it was shown much here which is odd because at one point in the 90s is was second rated only to Oprah.
  • Options
    BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually went to a recording of the Montell Williams Show while in NYC in 2001, they were handing out tickets in Times Square. It was an episode where a man who used to be a female was telling his story, they even gave us all a copy of his book at the end. I've never seen any clips of that show sadly.

I was probably in a right state that day...it was steaming hot outside, I'd been shopping and had a large bag of goodies with me...I felt sorry for everyone sat next to me! Only shame was that we never had a chance to say hello to Montell.
  • Options
    jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awww I miss Sally Jessy Raphael too :'( I was born in 1991 so I can remember my mum watching it in the 90s when I was younger then I remember about 2003/2004 I was around 1st year at high school it was repeated daily on itv2 around 5pm and I used to love coming home from school and sit and watch it :'( I do watch Jeremy Kyle sometimes but the thing that's annoying about it is every episode is near enough the same lie detector, DNA test, useless father who Jeremy spends 10 minutes yelling at etc. And yeh sally did do lie detector/DNA shows, but she also did a whole range of other topics such as teen bootcamp [which was my favourite]. I cant remember other topics but she definitely did a wide range
  • Options
    toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i used to enjoy maury especially the whos the daddy episodes
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I was never really a fan of Sally Jessy as it was a bit boring for me at the time. And all the guests and audience members looked like they were stuck in a 70s hillbilly timewarp!

I used to LOVE Ricki Lake. Loved her as an actress and personality and so naturally loved her show.

Maury I could not stand and he was so vicious and nasty and his show a gross exaggeration of things that are moralistically wrong when it comes to what is allowed to fly in the States. I don't know what was worse:the 12 year olds on there bragging about getting drunk and having sex with older guys or the fact that they were allowed to appear on the show to 'brag' about that and then get humiliated by drill seargents whilst the audience, probably twice their age, booed and heckled them.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky1 used to show SJR before it moved to ITV2.